Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!
Old 10-08-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

The Official Suspension Guide

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Thanks

If your goals are to do open-track and/or drifting stuff, YES... you are gonna want to do a kit. In fact, $4K is not gonna get you anywhere near where your stated goals are and really need to make a choice between open-track and drifting. A new tube "K" is a necessity for either of these activities, if you plan on going hardcore.

Like the girl in the following vid says....

"What's it gonna be, boy?"

Jazzer The Loaf
Old 09-07-2011, 11:53 PM
Magellan

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
In fact, $4K is not gonna get you anywhere near where your stated goals are and really need to make a choice between open-track and drifting. A new tube "K" is a necessity for either of these activities, if you plan on going hardcore.
Really? What else would I need? For example, the MM Maximum Grip boxes are around $4500...what could I do from there, aside from going with an SLA setup, which doesn't seem necessary except for pure race cars? I'm not planning on going hardcore necessarily, it'd primarily be a street car. Aside from that, I would be drifting it more than road course driving. But I'm hoping to build a car that can do a bit of everything, with a little tuning Anyway, thanks for the quick response!!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Might have spoke a bit too soon...

$4K in parts will get you there in suspension parts, but still need it all installed and tuned. I don't know if you can do this, so if you can, that will be of significant savings in cost. I was thinking more of the entire package. Brakes, tires, proper seats and possibly some built drivetrain components to address the strain of driving your car hard. If you are going to be on an open-track, you will need those additional things to get the most of your new suspension (not to forget the driver-mod here, either!) I run an SLA in my car and get huge benefits from it at AX and a few select locations on the backroads (see The Fort Ross Twisties pic a couple posts up). Even on the street, I strongly recommend upgrade to brakes and a moderate racing seat for proper support.

If you can do all this work yourself, you can have quite an open-track ready car with just some brake upgrades (see sig) and proper seats. Unless you drive a Fox Body GT or I think those found in the S197, the seats in the SN95's are down right horrible for anything even remotely resembling lateral support.

What 'cha think?

Jazzer
Old 09-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Magellan

Ahh I gotcha now I would be installing everything myself, everything that doesn't need welding that is (seems like the TA needs to be welded to the subframe connectors if I'm reading your guide correctly). I have a pretty good idea of alignment specs I'd be looking for, and I know someone who will let me use their scales, so I could put time into tuning / adjusting corner balance. As for brakes, I'm hoping to get by with factory SN95 Cobra units and some good pads. If I don't end up getting a Cobra though, brakes would definitely be in the pipeline if I plan on doing any road course work. You're right, the seats have got to go, too---have my eyes on a pair of Corbeau A4s or similar reclining buckets. One more question...would you recommend piecing together all these parts (potentially to spend less), or just going with a package like the MM one? Thanks again!
Old 09-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I would CERTAINLY recommend a package!

Matching everything together is a big part of the equasion and can do it in "pieces" if you like. Just find a kit you like, probably the Max Grip Box on MM or, if you wanna roll with the Big Cats... Griggs GR-40 The Griggs is gonna be MUCH more expensive, but much stronger for sure.

As for brakes, I would probably not go with the Cobra brakes. They are better than your existing ones, but will not address issues of heat as well as a set of Brembos or something. Heat is gonna be the big issue if you go to the open track and will need all out race brakes if you plan on many laps in succession with high speeds.

Jazzer
Old 02-20-2012, 06:17 AM
1987notchback
2nd Gear Member

Default my suspension setup

hey guys a few questions on my current setup. i have mm sports caster camber plates, eibach pro springs, strange single adjustable shocks, sn95 spindles, 17"x9" cobra r's and 245/45/r17 tires all around. just want to see what you think of this setup. it is for street use little to no racing. i have put no miles on this combo yet bc the car is still being finished up. i will have it on the road by the spring. before i get it back on the road i will be installing mm sports xl subframe connectors and mm sports lower control arms when i save the money. my other question is the stance of the car. i know this is an odd question but i am hoping to get a stance where the car sits level with minimal gaps between the fenders. i am not sure if i should have gone with a shorter spring like h&r supersport? as it sits in my garage now the back end seems alittle high in the rear? not sure if it is bc i have not driven it yet and the springs have not settled? i have heard conflicting opinions on if a springs do settle? what do you guys think? thanks mike
Old 02-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Sorry.... a bit slow getting to this but I think I answered this question elsewhere, didn't I....?

I like your list, but how little a gap around the fenders would you like? You won't be able to get anywhere near what you might see on a Porsche or BMW, as the fenders are just not designed the same way.

You may consider removing the isolators from both sides of the springs. This will give you a bit lower drop, yet not give you a stiffer ride.

Jazzer
Old 06-16-2012, 09:52 AM
93five-0

Hi Jazzer,

Thanks for this awesome post, it's helped me really understand the suspension setup in my fox.

I'm building for open track and (hopefully) competitive road racing. Someday, I'm definitely doing a full TA and PHB setup with coilovers...but for now, I just want a decent setup to autocross and open track with. I have a few options I'm tossing around and I wanted your opinion. Also, The car sees plenty of street use and I don't want it to be unbearable on the street as far as NVH...but some is fine.

The car is currently stock in the rear save disc brakes, 5 lugs, sport springs and hotchkis uppers with rubber (i think) bushings.

I have a set of urethane-urethane UPR lowers and soild-urethane UPR uppers that I don't want to use after doing my research (thanks very much). I'm thinking of installing spherical bushings-soild uppers such as these UMIs.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/UPI-1017-B/

As far as struts, I'm thinking of going with the adjustable Tokico d specs and keeping the springs I have.

What do you think? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2012, 03:12 PM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

Just wanted to say this is a great thread. Planning on lowering my Stang for DD and just came across this thread... Well, back to more reading.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:58 PM
93five-0

HI Jazzer,

Great Thread...I signed up for this forum just to post and follow it. I've learned a ton about the 4 link in my fox.

I'm building for autocross open track and eventually competitive road racing. I'll eventually go the TA and PHB you and several others swear by.

For now though, I'm wondering what you think about doing spherical ended uppers and lowers from UMI, Tokico D spec adjustables and sport lowering springs as a start? Should the axle end of the arms still be rubber or is urethane ok due to the spherical ends? How about NVH? it's pretty stiff now and I wouldn't mind it being harder.

I have 4 wheel disc but it's still not great, what's your thoughts on SN95 calipers with hawk pads and slotted/driller rotors?

Apprecite the thread and any advice....Thanks!

Quick Reply: The Official Suspension Guide