Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Just exactly how does suspension contribute to the speed of a vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 01:32 PM
SSSTANG10

Default Just exactly how does suspension contribute to the speed of a vehicle

I'm new to the performance game and I'd appreciate it if i can get as much insight as possible
Old 05-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Quazyrabbit

In more ways than I would care to discuss in a short post, needless to say if you have nothing but 100 horsepower V-4 engine but cannot distribute that power to the ground without spinning the tires then you have nothing more than a tire eating smoking machine which can be had by merely putting water on your tires, so why bother with anything else?
Ride quality tuning, suspention dynamics, traction, cornering, wind resistance, fuel consumtion, and on and on.....all can be effected either poorly or for various performance, driver desire, improvements of numberous sorts.
and welcome, oh mighty obvious newb..read all you can, ask all you want, but if you do please listen and learn from the time you ask of others, and maybe a nod or a thanks to those here and on other fporums, etc who take the time to discuss normally assumed knowledge of sorts. Now, get to doing your homework!
Old 05-26-2011, 05:37 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Quazyrabbit
In more ways than I would care to discuss in a short post
I'm willing to read a long post . . .

Norm
Old 05-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

OP, your question is soo incredibly open-ended, nobody could possibly be asked to answer it in full. I suggest you pick up some books and read up as our own Quazy wabbit has mentioned

If you have a more specific question in reguards to a suspension mod that has been recommended to you, or you feel may be helpful for your own needs... ask away*

Jazzer

*will be awainting a long post from Norm
Old 05-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

This thread needs to be pointed in some sort of direction first, and it'd be nice to know a little more about the other participants (who have two days total length of membership between them at this point).

Norm
Old 05-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Quazyrabbit

Sorry for the new name, just easier to log into all the sites with this new pc using facebook. I agree completely, would gladly list a pedigree in pm, and honestly difer to the more knowledgable Sir. Please give your answer to the gentleman's open question, and ty for being much more polite than I was.
(eagerly awaits Sir "NORM!!!" 25 cents and withdraws his own 2)
Old 05-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Quazyrabbit

I could though, eleaborte thuroughly in regards to straight line (drag, Texas Mile type racing0 and I am sure Sir Jazzy can relate tons of insite regarding the twisties. I have vast experience in drag racing and the dirt track wars of the midwest and Texas. Littl needed for street use, although many things learned of course lead to tunign to one's needs and desires for his personal ride of choice.
Lol I could remark upon my experience from living ina dry Texas county and years of backroads beer store jaunts, but that may yet incriminate me of some form of possible (pissed off texas sheriff's Dept) backlash..smiles huge<.thanks Mr. Jaz........that is one astounding ride you show there!
Old 05-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Grazzi

I am actually in the ROTM nominations for "Best Stance" currently. We well see how it goes, but if I make the final group, would be the 6th or 7th trip down the ROTM isle. So far, always a brides maid... never a bride I will be a groom in Sept. though, so I am a true winner after all

This is a bit of an odd thread so far, but will say the short answer to the OP's question would be an increased ability to control ones car at any speed. Certainly, the higher the speed, the greater the need for a properly set-up suspension, as issues of downforce and many others come into play.

This is where Norm is fathoms better than I at a proper explanation, so will await his 10,000 word essay on the subject of suspension and speed

Jazzer... dumping this thread off to the big guy
Old 05-30-2011, 08:40 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I hope OP comes back in - he's been MIA ever since barely a few minutes after opening the topic.

For now, I'm going to assume that he had holiday weekend plans that didn't involve sitting at a computer, let alone try to add some direction to this thread.

I don't know if it's a top speed thing that he's after, or a speed at the end of a straight, or a drag race thing, or simply a confidence thing that lets him consistently extract more of the existing performance.

I'm not quite ready to say the 't' word . . .

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 05-30-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:27 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I am ready for the "t" word at this point

You know he's mocking us right at THIS VERY MOMENT... lol

Quick Reply: Just exactly how does suspension contribute to the speed of a vehicle