Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Suspension
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Suspension questions

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
GreenEyedGemini
 
GreenEyedGemini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT
Location: illinois
Posts: 9
xangelbabygirlx greeneyed_gemini
Question Suspension questions

Hi Everyone.
I have a 2008 GT manual and I am wanting to upgrade my suspension. I have been looking at the Bilstein B12 kit but after searching I've seen many others that are recommended as well. I live in Illinois near St. Louis. My future goals for this car is a supercharger, upgraded injectors, TB, etc. I want this to be a street car that I can take to the strip and do ok. Budget wise I'm hoping to be around $1500 or less for suspension. I plan to do my upgrades in "sets" with the motor upgrades being the last. I do plan to get a watts link as well. Right now I want shocks/struts lowering springs, sway bars, strut tower brace and what ever else I need to get my suspension going but I would like advice on which package or brands to look at.
Thanks
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
GreenEyedGemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member
 
MustangVixenGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 2013 5.0L GT Premium
Location: Washington
Posts: 256
Default

I did Eibach Pro Springs, BMR swary bars front and rear, Panhard bar, BMR upper and lower control arms with relocation bracket. Car drives sooo amazing, only negative is I have to keep them greased or they start making creaking sounds. But other than that its great!
__________________
2013 Mustang GT | GottaHaveItGreen! | Stainless Works Cat Back | Steeda CAI 91 Octane Tune | BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars | BMR Panhard Bar | BMR Upper & Lower Control Arms | Eibach Relocation Brackets | Eibach Pro Springs | Eibach Camber Bolts
MustangVixenGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
UPRSharad
Sponsor
 
UPRSharad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 2011, Ford, Mustang GT
Location: FL
Posts: 2,503
www.facebook.com/sraldiris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyedGemini View Post
Hi Everyone.
I have a 2008 GT manual and I am wanting to upgrade my suspension. I have been looking at the Bilstein B12 kit but after searching I've seen many others that are recommended as well. I live in Illinois near St. Louis. My future goals for this car is a supercharger, upgraded injectors, TB, etc. I want this to be a street car that I can take to the strip and do ok. Budget wise I'm hoping to be around $1500 or less for suspension. I plan to do my upgrades in "sets" with the motor upgrades being the last. I do plan to get a watts link as well. Right now I want shocks/struts lowering springs, sway bars, strut tower brace and what ever else I need to get my suspension going but I would like advice on which package or brands to look at.
Thanks
For a lowered street strip Stang, I'd recommend Strange 10-way Shocks and Struts, and UPR/Eibach Lowering Springs. The sway bars and strut tower brace won't help your quarter mile ETs, but I'm running Eibach swaybars and the factory strut tower brace. These parts work really well.
__________________

Like us at www.facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
UPRSharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
GreenEyedGemini
 
GreenEyedGemini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT
Location: illinois
Posts: 9
xangelbabygirlx greeneyed_gemini
Default

Ok awesome. Im not wanting to add things that are of no real use so that is good to know. I want to shave some weight and upgrade the performance.
GreenEyedGemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #5
ModBargains
Sponsor
 
ModBargains's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Vehicle: 2013 Mustang 5.0
Location: SoCal
Posts: 693
https://www.facebook.com/modbargains.jurrian
Default

If you want to stay within your budget, but without any drawbacks of not being able to adjust ride height, or adjust damping or rebound adjustments, I would suggest going with BC coilovers. BC's are inexpensive, adjustable, and best of all they're made from good quality materials. Take a look at more info from BC, and package that up with a panhard bar an you'll see the huge difference in performance!


BC Racing BR Series Coilovers for Ford Mustang


Hotchkis Adjustable Panhard Rod Mustang

Hope that helps! PM me if you have any questions!
__________________

We Specialize In: Mustang Wheels | Mustang Suspension | Mustang Exhaust | Mustang Performance | HRE FF01 Flow Formed Wheels |
Modification Expert - Jurrian Terpstra | Jurrian@ModBargains.com | (714) 582-3330 ext. 8002
ModBargains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
dlazrael
5th Gear Member
 
dlazrael's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Vehicle: 08 Ford Mustang GT
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,086
DLAzrael43 DLAzrael
Send a message via AIM to dlazrael Send a message via Yahoo to dlazrael
Default

I went with Steeda Pro-Action Shocks/Struts, however you can get adjustable Tokico for $200 more, Steeda Front and Rear Adj sway bars, Steeda Chromoly LCA and "lowered" UCA, Steeda Sportline Springs - its an entirely new car... and I think all that was under the $1500 mark, maybe a little over.
I'm getting a Fays2 Watts soon and suspension is done....
__________________
-George
Firefighter/Medic
2008 Ford Mustang GT:
Go Fast Parts: 2.3L W140AX FRPP Whipple 550 HO Supercharger, PCV Delete, Pypes Violators Axleback, MAC Prochamber, FRPP 62mm Polished TB
Suspension: Steeda: Front/Rear Sways, Sport Springs, Pro-Action S/S, Chromoly LCA, Chromoly UCA, GT500 Strut Mounts
Driveline:Steeda Tri-Ax, DSS 4" Aluminum DS
Show:GT500 Spoiler, GT500 Chinstrap (awaiting install), GTS-IV Hood
dlazrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:20 PM   #7
GreenEyedGemini
 
GreenEyedGemini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT
Location: illinois
Posts: 9
xangelbabygirlx greeneyed_gemini
Default

Thanks, so it looks like my best bet is to piece together a kit from different manufacturers rather than buying a premade kit?
GreenEyedGemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:22 PM   #8
ModBargains
Sponsor
 
ModBargains's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Vehicle: 2013 Mustang 5.0
Location: SoCal
Posts: 693
https://www.facebook.com/modbargains.jurrian
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyedGemini View Post
Thanks, so it looks like my best bet is to piece together a kit from different manufacturers rather than buying a premade kit?
If I can jump in and share my 2 cents, I would have to disagree with that. Shocks when valved to match the forces it produces in conjunction with a spring, when they all work inline with each other, they tend to work a hell of a lot better than a shock not valved specifically for a set of springs that are at a different ride height, and have different spring rates.

Unless you're getting custom valving done, which Koni can do for you, it's not worth the time and energy, unless you have an engineer who can explain and set the valving for you and what your needs are.

Honestly I'd rather buy it, have it ship in one box, install it and be happy rather than piece to piece a kit together and have the handling compromised somewhat.
__________________

We Specialize In: Mustang Wheels | Mustang Suspension | Mustang Exhaust | Mustang Performance | HRE FF01 Flow Formed Wheels |
Modification Expert - Jurrian Terpstra | Jurrian@ModBargains.com | (714) 582-3330 ext. 8002
ModBargains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:45 PM   #9
GreenEyedGemini
 
GreenEyedGemini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT
Location: illinois
Posts: 9
xangelbabygirlx greeneyed_gemini
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains View Post
If I can jump in and share my 2 cents, I would have to disagree with that. Shocks when valved to match the forces it produces in conjunction with a spring, when they all work inline with each other, they tend to work a hell of a lot better than a shock not valved specifically for a set of springs that are at a different ride height, and have different spring rates.

Unless you're getting custom valving done, which Koni can do for you, it's not worth the time and energy, unless you have an engineer who can explain and set the valving for you and what your needs are.

Honestly I'd rather buy it, have it ship in one box, install it and be happy rather than piece to piece a kit together and have the handling compromised somewhat.
That was what I was thinking originally was that a kit that is already put together would be much more "tuned" to work together so I was a bit confused.
GreenEyedGemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
ModBargains
Sponsor
 
ModBargains's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Vehicle: 2013 Mustang 5.0
Location: SoCal
Posts: 693
https://www.facebook.com/modbargains.jurrian
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyedGemini View Post
That was what I was thinking originally was that a kit that is already put together would be much more "tuned" to work together so I was a bit confused.
Exactly! You've got it now. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help out
__________________

We Specialize In: Mustang Wheels | Mustang Suspension | Mustang Exhaust | Mustang Performance | HRE FF01 Flow Formed Wheels |
Modification Expert - Jurrian Terpstra | Jurrian@ModBargains.com | (714) 582-3330 ext. 8002
ModBargains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #11
GreenEyedGemini
 
GreenEyedGemini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT
Location: illinois
Posts: 9
xangelbabygirlx greeneyed_gemini
Default

Thanks!
GreenEyedGemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:20 PM   #12
GreenEyedGemini
 
GreenEyedGemini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT
Location: illinois
Posts: 9
xangelbabygirlx greeneyed_gemini
Default

Ok, I think I am going to go with Koni Yellows and BMR lowering springs to start. Then next order will be UCA, LCA, Panhard bar, and front and rear sway bars.
Question though, should I get castor/camber plates or not?
GreenEyedGemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #13
GreenEyedGemini
 
GreenEyedGemini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT
Location: illinois
Posts: 9
xangelbabygirlx greeneyed_gemini
Default

I have to say my head hurts from reading researching and trying to decide. Ive had people tell me that adjustable dampers are pretty pointless unless I am knowledgeable about them. To go into a little more detail on my goals for the car. This car is my daily driver. My goal for the supercharger is a couple years down the road. I want this car to look tough, handle great as it is my daily, but still be able to hug corners and come out of curves tightly. I live in rural illinois so the roads can be somewhat bumpy so ride is pretty important. I don't want to feel like I am in a log wagon. Ive had a few people recommend the Steeda proaction shocks/struts and ultralight springs but the reviews i've found on them are few and far between. So in reality are adjustable shocks going to be a waste of money since I really don't know much about "dialing" them in? Any experience with the Bilstein HDs? Or the Bilstein B12 kit?
GreenEyedGemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #14
UPRSharad
Sponsor
 
UPRSharad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 2011, Ford, Mustang GT
Location: FL
Posts: 2,503
www.facebook.com/sraldiris
Default

Shocks, Struts, and springs should be compatible, but the concept of everything being "tuned" to work together is a bit of a scam.
__________________

Like us at www.facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
UPRSharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #15
GreenEyedGemini
 
GreenEyedGemini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT
Location: illinois
Posts: 9
xangelbabygirlx greeneyed_gemini
Default

Ok I went ahead and ordered the steeda stage 3 mustang handling pack and the steeda HD upper strut mounts. Im ordering upper and lower control arms and a panhard bar and brace next once their support staff emails me back. Then I will be getting a bmr k member. Hopefully thats off to a good start. Gotta get some new tires as soon as the suspension is installed.
GreenEyedGemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:44 AM   #16
427Roush
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 2007, Ford, Mustang
Location: CA
Posts: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazrael View Post
I went with Steeda Pro-Action Shocks/Struts, however you can get adjustable Tokico for $200 more, Steeda Front and Rear Adj sway bars, Steeda Chromoly LCA and "lowered" UCA, Steeda Sportline Springs - its an entirely new car... and I think all that was under the $1500 mark, maybe a little over.
I'm getting a Fays2 Watts soon and suspension is done....
Just read your post. Check the classifieds on this forum, as I'm selling my Fays 2 watts link. My sponsorship with Cortex was approved and I'm now running their torque arm and watts link set up for track days.
The ad says local pick-up but am willing to ship. (The price is negotiable).
427Roush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #17
427Roush
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 2007, Ford, Mustang
Location: CA
Posts: 148
Default

JMO GreenEyedGemini, when you put your supercharger on, please upgrade the brakes. Even if it's as simple as pads, rotors, steel lines and high temp fluid. Of course a big brake kit and cooling ducts is nice but expensive and not necessary unless track driving.
427Roush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #18
GreenEyedGemini
 
GreenEyedGemini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT
Location: illinois
Posts: 9
xangelbabygirlx greeneyed_gemini
Default

Thanks! I will definitely be upgrading the brakes before the SC goes on.
GreenEyedGemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:52 PM   #19
Derf00
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Vehicle: '08 S197 GT
Location: AZ
Posts: 9,911
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyedGemini View Post
Ok I went ahead and ordered the steeda stage 3 mustang handling pack and the steeda HD upper strut mounts. Im ordering upper and lower control arms and a panhard bar and brace next once their support staff emails me back. Then I will be getting a bmr k member. Hopefully thats off to a good start. Gotta get some new tires as soon as the suspension is installed.
If you are getting a watts system don't waste the money on a panhard bard. The watts will replace it.
__________________
08 S197 GT Auto: FRPP Strut Tower Brace, FRPP Bullitt CAI, Bama 91-P Tune, VBX remaned valve body with Superior Transmission Shift Kit.
Pending upgrades: Shaftmasters Aluminum 3.5" DS, FRPP 3.73 gears, Axle back exahust (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoyz View Post
if you are getting 29mpg in your 5.0, you aren't driving it correctly
Derf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #20
jRaskell
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 2014 Mustang GT
Location: NH
Posts: 134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyedGemini View Post
Ive had people tell me that adjustable dampers are pretty pointless unless I am knowledgeable about them.
From the perspective of dialing in absolute peak handling performance, that's certainly a fairly valid statement. That being said, if you dial the shocks full soft, drive the car for a bit, mixing some spirited driving with rough roads, then dial the shocks full firm and do the same thing, you WILL feel a difference.

At that point, you are fully capable of dialing the shocks to the point you most prefer. If you aren't looking for peak performance, then it really doesn't matter whether those settings are optimal or not. And the bottom line is those Konis at any setting are better shocks than any of the factory pieces.
jRaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:09 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup