Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Easiest way to raise rear of 2016 GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 06:06 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
II still haven't heard any suggestions as to an easy way to raise the rear height of a 2016! Maybe there isn't one without messing with springs!
Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
In order to raise the rear without altering the ride quality then you will need to either raise the lower spring bucket up off the lower control arm, lower the upper spring bucket from the chassis, or a combination of the two. This will allow you to use the stock spring
Airbags are the only thing that replaces both the shock and spring that would be able to alter ride height.
Ive given you two ways to do it.

You need to look at trucks if you want to raise the vehicle, they have it figured out. The difference is they can just use a body lift that raises the body off the chassis.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:19 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Ive given you two ways to do it.

You need to look at trucks if you want to raise the vehicle, they have it figured out. The difference is they can just use a body lift that raises the body off the chassis.
The trucks is where I got the idea for the link to the rubber spacer that goes under the spring to lift it an inch, I mean it don't get easier than that.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:45 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

But we haven't given him any solutions.

You would think someone that has restored and rebuilt as many cars as Mr D has claimed to have done would be able to come up with something.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:33 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

But we haven't given him any solutions.

You would think someone that has restored and rebuilt as many cars as Mr D has claimed to have done would be able to come up with something.
Now try being nice for a change! It won't hurt not to be a jerk just once in a while! It's really not nice to suggest posters are liars in their posts! The last person that did that to me, faded away when I asked him to put $10K where his mouth was! So, how about you not suggest I'm a liar & I'll do the same with you!

Honestly, I haven't even looked under my new Mustang yet as I've been very busy lately. I've never restored a car with a independent rear suspension. I know the obvious ways, but I thought possibly the suspension experts might have some ideas with the IRS I don't, or even an know aftermarket part that will raise the car without changing the spring rate. With the classic Chevys I've restored, modified spindles can be used to lower or raise a front suspension without affecting the spring rate.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:11 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I didnt call you a liar you old fool. I stated that someone with as much knowledfge about cars as you claim to have should know how to modify them. I cant prove that your claims are true or false as I dont know you, I just know what youve claimed to do.

IRS and SRA suspension do exactly the same thing, just one is independent of the other sides actions.
Weight pushes down, spring compresses, spring relaxes, weight moves upward, shock dampens/controls bounce, repeat.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:34 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
I don't, or even an know aftermarket part that will raise the car without changing the spring rate.
I think the spacer idea has been suggested at least twice. A spacer will not affect the spring rate. The only way to do that is change the spring. One thing about some IRS setups (not sure about the Mustang) but you may have to make some kind of camber correction that, with a live axle, would not be needed.

Having said that it's much more common to lower the car for better road holding, so there may not be much aftermarket support for raising it.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:10 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WJBertrand
I think the spacer idea has been suggested at least twice. A spacer will not affect the spring rate. The only way to do that is change the spring. One thing about some IRS setups (not sure about the Mustang) but you may have to make some kind of camber correction that, with a live axle, would not be needed.

Having said that it's much more common to lower the car for better road holding, so there may not be much aftermarket support for raising it.
I understand & agree. I'd have to find out if a spacer could be added at either end of the spring, as spacers in the middle are not a great idea. I just thought with the new IRS there may be some easy method some guy up on the suspension would know. As you said, there are very few that want to raise the car. I likely will decide against it myself, as it is only for looks. Who needs to screw up the ride!

Thanks for the response!
Old 12-12-2015, 03:21 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

I didnt call you a liar you old fool. I stated that someone with as much knowledfge about cars as you claim to have should know how to modify them. I cant prove that your claims are true or false as I dont know you, I just know what youve claimed to do.
No, you did use the word liar! You just insinuated that I have "claimed" to restore old cars that I may have not! Why would a decent person do that unless they were trying to start an argument? If you talk about doing something you have done or experienced, I would give you the common courtesy of accepting your word! That's why I called you on your comment below:

"You would think someone that has restored and rebuilt as many cars as Mr D has claimed to have done would be able to come up with something."

I think I've made my point, so I'm done! Your my favorite poster too!
Old 12-12-2015, 05:35 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Get yourself some old school air shocks and go 70s style! Why do you want to raise the rear anyway?
Old 12-13-2015, 07:31 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Get yourself some old school air shocks and go 70s style! Why do you want to raise the rear anyway?
Strictly looks! I like the old school "California Rake"! Not much up in the rear, only two to three inches! If I can't find a way that won't hurt the ride, I'll forget the idea!

A little up in the rear would look better! Sorry, but I'm not sure Roush can improve on this one in looks! IMO.

Last edited by Mr. D; 12-13-2015 at 07:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Easiest way to raise rear of 2016 GT