SVO Forum

Lost

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 07:43 AM
chuckdogg

Default Lost

So im doin a swap and will be running the 86 svo motor with an LA3 computer. The motor did not come with injectors and thats where the problem starts should i be running #36 or 35 injectors? cant get a straight answer. I do however plan on rebuilding the topend with all stock parts nothing crazy. Also missing a turbo, could i run a after market 1 and get a manual boost controller and set it for 16,17lbs of boost? I will be running a front mount intercooler if that helps.... Thanks for any and all help
Old 12-02-2008, 07:50 AM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chuckdogg
So im doin a swap and will be running the 86 svo motor with an LA3 computer. The motor did not come with injectors and thats where the problem starts should i be running #36 or 35 injectors?
There was never a #36 injector for the 2.3T just a #35. They are low impediance so get a set of brown tops

cant get a straight answer. I do however plan on rebuilding the topend with all stock parts nothing crazy. Also missing a turbo, could i run a after market 1 and get a manual boost controller and set it for 16,17lbs of boost?
Why not? Lots of people run 20psi on a stock engine

I will be running a front mount intercooler if that helps.... Thanks for any and all help
?????
Old 12-02-2008, 10:55 AM
fast65
5th Gear Member

Like sleeper already said, do the brown top #35 injectors and an aftermarket turbo. I would suggest a Holset HX35 or a Garrett T3/T4, but TRBOPWR should be able to give you a little more info on the subject.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:25 AM
chuckdogg

Thanks for the info guys! Anything else i should i know? when i yank the head i was goin to do a gasket match port and polish my self along with the lower intake,and header. I found the upper intake i need, so it facing frontward so i can run a front mount. Another thing i dont understand is the internal or external wastegate? And how the boost controler works? sorry guys im a electrician not a turbo man.....

Last edited by chuckdogg; 12-02-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:05 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

You can cut, rotate, and weld the upper intake to make it a easier to run a FMIC, but it isn't necessary. It kinda depends on which IC you decide to use. Mine:

Any kind of porting/cleanup work you can do on the intake, head, and manifold is going to help you out power wise. Remember, increase the air flow and you increase your power. And a word to the wise, don't cheap out on a head gasket. Get a good one the first time, it will probably save you some time down the road.

Some swap from an internal wastegate to an external wastegate claiming it prevents some boost creep. I wouldn't worry about an external gate unless you are going to some monster turbo and lots of boost.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:54 PM
chuckdogg

boost creep? Well im not racing the truck around just want it there when i need it so prob around 20lbs of boost. Im prob goin to run the garrettt3/t4 turbo because im tight on room. Does that turbo even come with a internal wastegate ableing me to run 20lbs?
Old 12-02-2008, 06:09 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

If you don't plan on running lots of boost, you may as well just get a replacement T3. They will spin up to 20psi no problem. I haven't done a whole lot of shopping for hybrids, I would assume that internal/external might vary between brands, but i'm unsure.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:08 AM
chuckdogg

Thanks

Last edited by chuckdogg; 12-03-2008 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:20 AM
chuckdogg

Item number: 170283800651
Found this on e-bay...what u guys think? He wants 70bucks to ship it also
Old 12-03-2008, 07:48 AM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Thats not a SVO turbo. Also for that price it's a good deal unless the turbo needs a rebuild.

Check out turboford.net also for good used turbos

Quick Reply: Lost