SVO Forum

Volvo front mount questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:20 AM
svo86
1st Gear Member

Default Volvo front mount questions.

I bought everything required to install a volvo intercooler. I have a few questions this website did not answer. http://www.rothfam.com/svo/volvo/volvostart.htm.

I bought a bypass valve from a turbo saab. Considering that out air meters have already measured the air that it takes to make the proper conbustion in the engine, would it hurt anything to not use the bypass valve as a bypass valve but as a blow off valve?? I think it might make it run a little rich due to the fact that the computer thinks that air is going to be in the combustion when in fact its been "blown off". Would it make it run too rich? or is it safe enough to do so?

also is it possible to use the stock radiator fan rather than buying a skinnier fan? or is it much like having the stock radiator for the modification, it JUST CANT be done.

thank you.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:03 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

I know for sure that the car is not going to like having that metered air blown out with a BOV. It isn't going to run right that way, it's a pretty documented issue.

As for the second part, I'm not familiar enough with the Volvo IC to give much of an answer. I thought the Ranger radiator was a bit narrower so the piping on the IC would work, but I am not sure. Not that it helps, but I am using a stock fan on my setup.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:29 PM
svo86
1st Gear Member

would you mind showing me a picture?
Old 02-04-2009, 01:39 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

I don't have any real good ones, but here is a couple that I do have. Wait until evintho (I think that's the name) sees this, I believe he has a Volvo setup and will be better able to answer your question.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:51 PM
mg man 75
5th Gear Member

As far as I know must use the Ranger radiator. I got a Volvo intercooler and tried to mock it up. I wanted to keep my ac. So could not do. Even if spaced radiator back. Now delete ac maybe. Volvo not good for over 15psi boost. Plastic ends can blow. I used a cheap e-bay one. Hooked mine up as bypass valve. t-bird231ci ran as blowoff. But said you got to know how to drive it. ? What he meant. My pictures if help. The one video that shows a straight pipe into the intercooler for top pipe. Will not work. Need offset to lower intercooler.
http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w...ler%20install/
Old 02-04-2009, 09:14 PM
svo86
1st Gear Member

Thank you guys for the pictures and information. Hopefully I can figure out if I can use my stock fan or not, there has to be someone thats used it. I'm doing it sunday,... i need to know if i should buy an aftermarket fan or not.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:57 AM
evintho
2nd Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by TRBOPWR
I don't have any real good ones, but here is a couple that I do have. Wait until evintho (I think that's the name) sees this, I believe he has a Volvo setup and will be better able to answer your question.
No, that's not me. I have a 'nothing Mustang about it' setup. NPR I/C, Volvo radiator & Supercoupe fan. No need to spend big bucks on an aftermarket fan when the local Pick-N-Pull is full of skinny, high cfm, cheap candidates! Go look at the Taurus fan. The Lincoln Mark VIII is the next step up from that with the Thunderbird Supercoupe fan being the granddaddy of them all! Just go to the 'yard with a tape measure, take some measurements, pick a fan that'll more or less fit and adapt it!

Last edited by evintho; 02-07-2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:38 PM
svo86
1st Gear Member

Well I got everything to fit with the stock fan. We made a bracket that bolts into the bottom of the radiator support so I can take it out and easily convert it to its stock form. I used a bypass valve from a Saab, but it doesnt work very well. At about 10psi the boost leaks out of it. And adding it to a vaccum line with make the car shut off obviously.

Would it be ok to use a BLOW OFF VALVE to avoid compressor surge? Or should I just leave the front mount without and pressure relase at shifts?????
Old 02-08-2009, 03:38 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

Would it work? Yes it would. But every time you lift off the gas you will go rich, and this will cause hesitation when you get back on the gas, or in a worse case scenarion a backfire. It would work, but it would take some getting used to and would not be quite right.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:21 PM
svo86
1st Gear Member

alright so it would work, BUT is it SAFE?? I'm more concered about the safety of my turbo than I am about noises. Is it ok to run without any pressure release? Or should I go for the by pass kit that forced4 sells??

Quick Reply: Volvo front mount questions.