SVT Forums

Whipple V.S. Kenne Bell

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 02:55 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Whipple V.S. Kenne Bell

I'm by all means no expert. I can just tell you what I have experiences and seen through the years. Turbo's and bowers are nice. I'm not a fan of centrifugal blowers. They power curves NORMALLY are not very linear. I have noticed that the sn-95 responded better to the centrifugal blowers. A good friend has a 96 cobra with a vortech. The car makes carzy power. Driven a couple of 99-04 with centrifugal and it wasn't the same. GRANTED each setup is different and both cars were tune by different shops. That makes a HUGE difference. As for what type of blower. For you car I would do whipple. The kenne bell blowers are very nice and put down nice numbers. It just seems that most of the guys I know running them in Orlando have problems with them. Could be the install or tune but Lamotta knows what they are doing. The have installed KB and whipples and it seems the KB are always breaking down. Just my .02.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:03 AM
MuscleOwnzRice
4th Gear Member

the KB H is a waste of money unless your running over 13psi. I would say KB but since no personal experience from either i ahve no idea
Old 04-08-2007, 05:35 PM
spray175
3rd Gear Member

13/ More like 19. There only good for high boost applications. KB will tell yyou that. 13psi is nothing on these cars.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:53 AM
the new nos/man
I ♥ Acer

im going for atleast 22/24psi boost 26 psi over lay for my boost gauge ,, i can leave my stock lower pulley on it ..
Old 04-09-2007, 02:43 PM
spray175
3rd Gear Member

Your going to have to run race gas in that all the time.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:56 AM
the new nos/man
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: spray175

not with the meth injection under full boost
Old 04-12-2007, 12:10 PM
the new nos/man
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: spray175

spray dude what size upper you running ??????
Old 08-08-2007, 11:48 AM
UFGatorGuy20

I've got a whipple, and I love it.

My current power mods:

Whipple tuned to 13psi
Bassani to Borla Exhaust
K&N Air Filter

That's it, and I dyno'd @ 545RWHP / 480ft-lbs. I love my setup... I'm not really approaching any dangerous thresholds where I'm going to throw rods or damage heads, unless I drive like a moron. I know if I replaced my injectors, fuel pump, coolant system and retuned to a higher psi, I'd push much higher.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:14 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

ok... first off Italia thinks nitrous is "rice" - so he loses all credibility right there. Also for autocross you don't want a turbo or a centri, nor a twin screw/roots - the best is to really go N/A... but that's besides the point.

Prochargers make a TON of power, and they're great blowers - however on the 03/04 Cobra it's not a good application because of the changes involved.... a turbo kit is ok - but has really no low end power due to the turbo itself... but there are great numbers to be made, and more efficient.

The big deal about the 2.6+ kenne Bells is that the blower itself is much more efficient then the 2.3 whipple, or any previous Kenne Belle. Even if you run 17-18psi on the blower, it doesn't create as much heat, nor stress on the motor... if you run 13-14psi on the blower then it won't make a difference... but the biggest difference in the blower for people that aren't making 20+psi on race gas, is how effiecient they run.

To answer this question realisticly you would have to figure out what type of power you want, and what boost you want... and how much you want to spend... If you have the money for the 2.6 or 2.8 or the 3.4 whipple - do it. It will run more efficient at any level of boost.... the 3.4Whipple you won't see much difference over the 2.8 unless you're making 28+ psi i think they say...

oh and fwiw... Hellion Turbo kits are the most popular for the Terminator owners - just very expensive.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: italia18

garret t-4 blowzilla is a great turbo for the cobra.

as for the link.. ill just quote it.. this is from the topic "Turbo 5.0"

The biggest misconception with turbos is that more=better. Which is NOT true. People say "twin turbo this, twin turbo that" but twin turbos are not the "all-powerful gods" of forced induction.

Certain applications pertain to certain things you want to do. A single turbo can spool out just as much power as a twin turbo setup. TT's are great for autocross, but useless for the quartermile and every day streetracing. (unless you drive a supra which would give me a little envy haha)

You can make 800whp+ with a good single turbo, WITHOUT much lag. Which is another misconception..

If your bolting a huge single turbo onto a V4 then yeah, your going to have some turbo lag because the V4 does NOT have enough torque to fly through rpms. but on a V8? You'll find a turbo spools up immensly faster because seriously.. how long do we stay in the 1-3k rpm range? .. 2 seconds at max.

Everyone seems to think turbo=lag, but they dont do the research on it.

I'm not saying a turbo is BETTER than a s/c. Its all preference really. I just like to clear the air before people are like "omg turbo lag! why bother!" and whatever else.
You lost all credibility when you said V4...

Quick Reply: Whipple V.S. Kenne Bell