SVT Forums

Official Cobra Fuel System Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

Default Official Cobra Fuel System Thread...

Ok guys.. Well I figured I'd do some work and help those out that are interested in upgrading or just learning more about upgrading their fuel systems.

I'm going to start with the 03-04 Cobra as thats the system we offer the most innovative products for. Then I'll be able to discuss systems for other Cobras, Mach-1 and GT's.

Most if you guys know it's not hard to make 500rwhp with the 03-04 Cobra. A pulley, intake, exhaust and a little tuning will put you real close to that. In the begining of the 03-04 Cobra ere the best thing available to help get more fuel to the engine was a Boost a Pump. The Boost a Pump is like an amplifier for your fuel pumps. You turn it up and it sends more voltage to the stock pumps making them work harder to flow more fuel. This is a very effective way to help with fuel issues up to a certain point however as far as efficiency goes we later learned that jacking the voltage up isn't always the most effective way to do it. After that we were introduced to Focus and Aviator pumps which have a flow rating of about 255lph. A lot of guys with just the bolt on Cobra's started using these pumps. They also were very effective and still are.

Now we find ourselves 4 years later and a lot has changed. A large percentage of the 03-04 Cobra crowd has gone either twin screw or turbo and the typical pump swap just doesn't do it anymore.

For the person thats making over 550rwhp or so I'll give you the run down of the best returnless style setups you can run.

The first one is the least expensive setup and somewhat easy to do. It's meant for the person who's wanting to make in between 550-600rwhp. This system consists of the Ford GT fuel pumps and the Single Modified FPDM. The Ford GT pumps are by far the best in tank returnless style pump available through Ford and come at a very good price. Looking back it's funny to see what we all paid to upgrade to the Aviator pump to now see that the GT pumps which are less money and work better. When installing a set of Ford GT pumps you're also going to have to do something with the FPDM. The FPDM is your Fuel Pump Driver Module and works just how it sounds by driving the pumps with the power they need. The thing about the Ford GT pumps is that they are very powerful. So powerful that they draw so much power to run. They actually draw so many amps from the single stock FPDM that running 2 GT pumps on a non-modifed FPDM you run the risk of putting the FPDM into thermal shutdown. This is when the FPDM pretty much freezes up and can no longer send the power or signal to the pumps. Not something you want happening while running the 1/4mile or on a circle track.

The way that we solve this problem is with an Upgraded FPDM or Dual FPDM kit. The single Modified/Upgraded FPDM will clip right into your stock wiring harness in the trunk and allow the GT pumps to run the way they need to and you not having to worry about the FPDM freezing up. The Modified FPDM is offered in a Stage I or Stage II. The Stage I is plenty for most people however those making upwards of 680-700rwhp will see about 5% lower duty cycles of the Stage I unit with the Stage II.

The next option is the Dual FPDM harness Kt. This is said to be the best and most efficient FPDM setup available and it's what Ford chose to use on the 05-06 Ford GT as well as the 2007+ Shelby GT500. It actually uses 2 FPDM's and dedicated each FPDM to it's own fuel pump. This obviously lessens the load that 2 pumps would put on a single FPDM as now theres only 1 pump per FPDM instead of 2 pumps per FPDM. The Dual FPDM setup though will require modification to install if you're still planning on using your stock fuel hat/assembly. The reason for this is due to the dual FPDM running 2 12ga wires to each fuel pump. That's 4 large 12ga wires which need to be passed through the fuel hat to the pumps.

So upgrading the pumps to a set of GT pumps and upgrading the FPDM to one of the options above are a really good start. The next step in the fuel system actually takes care of several steps of your fuel system.

The other way which is the easiest route of running the Dual FPDM setup is to run the Fore Precision Works Fuel Hat. The Fore Precision Works Fuel Hat not only comes wired for running either a Dual or Single FPDM setup but all the wiring is professionally passed through the hat and gas block sealed so there won't be any leaks. The other advantage to the Fore Precision hat is that the outlet or Feed from the pump out of the hat are offered in a Single -8 or Dual -6 setup which flow way more fuel than the skimpy stock outlet. In addition to this you now can run upgrade -8 fuel line up to stock or aftermarket rails or just connect it to the stock fuel filter and still utilize the stock fuel lines. Lastly the Fore Precision hat allows the Ford GT pumps to drop right into it's basket and hook directly up to the hat deleting the PPRV. For those that don't know what the PPRV is it's the check valve that's inside the fuel tank that has been related to hesitation while shifting in the higher RPMs. This PPRV is completely removed with the Fore Precision hat so you will not experience the hesitation anymore.

When upgrading the pumps either using the Fore Precsision hat or the stock fuel assembly it's important to use the proper fuel line and connections inside the fuel tank to avoid problems. Regular rubber fuel hose thats made for passing fuel through it won't work. Well it will work for sometime however normal fuel hose isn't meant to be submersed in gasoline for long periods of time so when using low grade fuel hose in a tank of gas it will eventually get eatin up by the fuel and break causing your fuel system to lose pressure and leak fuel back into the tank. We suggest using Gates 30r10 submesible fuel hose when doing the GT pump swap which also comes standard on the Fore Precision fuel hat.

For those that still want to use their stock fuel lines and rails we offer an adaptor kit that will allow the Fore Hat to be hooked up to the stock fuel filter. Those who want to upgrade the lines and fuel filter but not rails we also offer another adaptor that hooks -8an line up to the stock rail.

In addition to these Pumps, FPDM's and Fuel hat I highly recommend running a set of Siemen Deka 60lb Injectors. 03-04 Cobra users will need the injectors and the harness adaptors to make the injectors connect to the wire harness properly.

Below are links to all of the products that have been mentioned so far in this thread. I'm open to any of you guys asking questions or giving feedback and as always if you would like to speak to us about this stuff you are always welcome to give us a call M-F 9am-6pm EST.

Thanks, Jared

PPRV Delete Kit - To be used when installing GT pumps with your stock fuel hat.
http://www.lethalperformance.com/pag...ible-line.html

And here are the pumps..They do not need a Boost a Pump as they can handle enough power on their own.
http://www.lethalperformance.com/pag...-set-of-2.html

Now lets talk about FPDM's. Thats your Fuel Pump Driver Module. It's what sends the power to the pumps. The reason the GT pumps don't need a BAP is because of how powerful they are but since they are so powerful they draw too many Amps for the stock FPDM to handle. If you r
Old 09-29-2007, 11:10 PM
spray175
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Official Cobra Fuel System Thread...

Good info, I wish this was available when i started modded the car. I would have done the whole kit.