Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang > SVT Forums
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
slidai
1st Gear Member

Default Stock 03-04 engine horse power limit.

I am tossing around the idea of either getting an 03-04 cobra or throwing a forged shortblock in my 06gt along with a whipple. Whats the stock max for a 03-04 cobra within reason. Within reason meaning the engine is not just running dyno pulls for numbers but actually driven for years to come without the engine blowing up.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
slidai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
mfj
Banned

Vehicle: Just Another Stang
Send a message via AIM to mfj

You're pushing your luck with much over 700 rwhp. Hellion did make an 1100 rwhp pull with their twin charged setup but that blew up like the next week lol
mfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:48 AM   #3
everett
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2000 mustang gt

420 on stock internals,block can handle about 800 max,teskid blocks are good to 1200. Forged internals of course
everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:21 AM   #4
slidai
1st Gear Member

I am a bit confused about the reply. Are you talking about the cobra engine or my gt engine?
Old 02-01-2011, 05:17 AM   #5
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2004 TR Cobra
Send a message via AIM to Blackvenom01

everything has it time limit when you runs lots of hp an 03 04 around 700 with a nice tune should last you for a good while or you can build something totally indestructable!

2004 TR Cobra WHIPPLED

2001 Cobra Triple Black SOLD!!!
RIP 2003 Mustang
Blackvenom01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
1SVTLVR
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1998 Ford Mustang Cobra
Send a message via AIM to 1SVTLVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidai View Post
I am tossing around the idea of either getting an 03-04 cobra or throwing a forged shortblock in my 06gt along with a whipple. Whats the stock max for a 03-04 cobra within reason. Within reason meaning the engine is not just running dyno pulls for numbers but actually driven for years to come without the engine blowing up.
My vote is for the 03/04! High value if you decide to resell. Plus they are the model of performance when it comes to the Mustang. Even the Shelby GT500's don't seem to have the following the 03/04 Cobra does. Just my 2 coppers.

Current Mods:

CHP 297CI Forged Shortblock, MMR Intake Spacer, Accufab 1600cfm single blade TB, Sniper Tuned, 4.10 Gears, Steeda U/DPs, Stewart Water Pump, JLT Cold Air Intake, BBK LTs, O/R Shorty H-pipe, Flows, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Short Throw Shifter, 03 Cobra rims: 255/40/17 Front 315/40/17 Rear, 17% tint.

94 GT 5.0

Current Mods:

BBK unequal length shorties, O/R H, AT Flows, Painted tail lights & wing black with louvers on the back.
1SVTLVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
slidai
1st Gear Member

I thought about this question tonight while i was at work.

The car is a 03 black vert with only 9k miles on it. I went to look at the car and it does have long tubes, catted x and flows. It's lowered and it has a different pulley.

My main concerns are the fact that the exhaust is about 2 inches off the ground due to the lowered state of the car. But my main question is, can a smaller pulley cause any damage to the engine? It has the stock blower. I want to replace it with a whipple so i am not as worried about the blower as i am the engine. I would assume making the blower spin faster with a smaller pulley would cause premature wear but as i said, my main concern is the engine.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #8
mfj
Banned

Vehicle: Just Another Stang
Send a message via AIM to mfj

If it was tuned for that smaller pulley, then it ain't even an issue.
mfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
slidai
1st Gear Member

That I don't know. And I doubt the guys that are selling it know either. Not real sure how I would find that out either.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:29 AM   #10
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2004 TR Cobra
Send a message via AIM to Blackvenom01

just ask them if it comes with a tuner or a chip...maybe try to get ahold of the previous owner...but the most damage your gonna do with a eaton is to the eaton not the engine...it sounds like you have a very nice car on your hands!! just dont hit bumps fast and it wont scrap but somewhere somehow your gonna do it lol if you dont like the ride height get another spring thats not as agressive but youll be ok!!

2004 TR Cobra WHIPPLED

2001 Cobra Triple Black SOLD!!!
RIP 2003 Mustang
Blackvenom01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:29 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
03, 04, 1998, 2004, 700, add, base, cobra, gt, horse, horsepower, horses, limit, max, mustang, power, stock