Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang > SVT Forums
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Stock 03-04 engine horse power limit.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
slidai
1st Gear Member

Default Stock 03-04 engine horse power limit.

I am tossing around the idea of either getting an 03-04 cobra or throwing a forged shortblock in my 06gt along with a whipple. Whats the stock max for a 03-04 cobra within reason. Within reason meaning the engine is not just running dyno pulls for numbers but actually driven for years to come without the engine blowing up.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
slidai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
mfj
Banned

Vehicle: Just Another Stang
Send a message via AIM to mfj

You're pushing your luck with much over 700 rwhp. Hellion did make an 1100 rwhp pull with their twin charged setup but that blew up like the next week lol
mfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:48 AM   #3
everett
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2000 mustang gt

420 on stock internals,block can handle about 800 max,teskid blocks are good to 1200. Forged internals of course
everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:21 AM   #4
slidai
1st Gear Member

I am a bit confused about the reply. Are you talking about the cobra engine or my gt engine?
Old 02-01-2011, 05:17 AM   #5
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2004 TR Cobra
Send a message via AIM to Blackvenom01

everything has it time limit when you runs lots of hp an 03 04 around 700 with a nice tune should last you for a good while or you can build something totally indestructable!

2004 TR Cobra WHIPPLED

2001 Cobra Triple Black SOLD!!!
RIP 2003 Mustang
Blackvenom01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
1SVTLVR
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1998 Ford Mustang Cobra
Send a message via AIM to 1SVTLVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidai View Post
I am tossing around the idea of either getting an 03-04 cobra or throwing a forged shortblock in my 06gt along with a whipple. Whats the stock max for a 03-04 cobra within reason. Within reason meaning the engine is not just running dyno pulls for numbers but actually driven for years to come without the engine blowing up.
My vote is for the 03/04! High value if you decide to resell. Plus they are the model of performance when it comes to the Mustang. Even the Shelby GT500's don't seem to have the following the 03/04 Cobra does. Just my 2 coppers.

Current Mods:

CHP 297CI Forged Shortblock, MMR Intake Spacer, Accufab 1600cfm single blade TB, Sniper Tuned, 4.10 Gears, Steeda U/DPs, Stewart Water Pump, JLT Cold Air Intake, BBK LTs, O/R Shorty H-pipe, Flows, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Short Throw Shifter, 03 Cobra rims: 255/40/17 Front 315/40/17 Rear, 17% tint.

94 GT 5.0

Current Mods:

BBK unequal length shorties, O/R H, AT Flows, Painted tail lights & wing black with louvers on the back.
1SVTLVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
slidai
1st Gear Member

I thought about this question tonight while i was at work.

The car is a 03 black vert with only 9k miles on it. I went to look at the car and it does have long tubes, catted x and flows. It's lowered and it has a different pulley.

My main concerns are the fact that the exhaust is about 2 inches off the ground due to the lowered state of the car. But my main question is, can a smaller pulley cause any damage to the engine? It has the stock blower. I want to replace it with a whipple so i am not as worried about the blower as i am the engine. I would assume making the blower spin faster with a smaller pulley would cause premature wear but as i said, my main concern is the engine.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #8
mfj
Banned

If it was tuned for that smaller pulley, then it ain't even an issue.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
slidai
1st Gear Member

That I don't know. And I doubt the guys that are selling it know either. Not real sure how I would find that out either.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:29 AM   #10
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

just ask them if it comes with a tuner or a chip...maybe try to get ahold of the previous owner...but the most damage your gonna do with a eaton is to the eaton not the engine...it sounds like you have a very nice car on your hands!! just dont hit bumps fast and it wont scrap but somewhere somehow your gonna do it lol if you dont like the ride height get another spring thats not as agressive but youll be ok!!

2004 TR Cobra WHIPPLED

RIP 2003 Mustang
Old 02-02-2011, 05:31 AM   #11
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

let me correct my comment about cant doing much damage with a eaton you can easily blow your engine with a bad tune! do some research man

2004 TR Cobra WHIPPLED

RIP 2003 Mustang
Old 02-02-2011, 06:02 AM   #12
slidai
1st Gear Member

Lets say this person just added the pulley and didnt add a new tune or chip. What then?
Old 02-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #13
mfj
Banned

^run away and don't look back.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #14
slidai
1st Gear Member

So i went by and looked at the car today. I thought that all cobra's had a metal plate on the engine around the valve cover with the name of the two guys who build them and like SVT Team or something. I didn't see that on this car. I mean it's def a cobra but that caught my eye.

Let me explain the car and you all tell me what you think it's worth. They want close to 24k for it.

Black on black convertible with 9,242 miles on it. On the rear window, in the center bottom, the top if frayed really bad around the glass area. The shift handle is missing. They just had some makeshift handle on there. When i drove the car off the lot, the mufflers or something was scraping the ground due to the fact that it's lowered about 3 inches. Stock stereo is gone, replaced with a simple sony one. When i got it on the road, the alignment was so bad that the car made a right turn by itself. It needs 4 brand new tires which the guy said was the problem with the alignment. I told him he was full of s**t it was due to the lowering. And to top it off, the car has a bad squeal coming from the belts somewhere. Oh, and the car died on me as i was pulling it back into the lot. Hadto jump start again.

So i am thinking 17k at most. I assume it just needs a battery, which is not that big of a deal but it could be more then just a battery.

The lowering kit has to be removed and replaced back to stock but i can't tell if it's just springs or more then springs.

The tires are gonna be a lot.

The shift handle, that's simple.

The belt noise....who knows.

The top,that scares me.

They have no idea if it has/had a tune or not.

I know all signs point to walk away but if i haggle enough and point out enough flaws... maybe i can get a killer price.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:41 AM   #15
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

wow sounds like it was a repo car or something of the sort!! those tops cost over 1k to replace the top itself is bout 200 but to put it on take extreme skill and patience...if you get it maybe some high school kid that hates your car will cut your top???lol

lowering it will give you pump steer meaning when you sit on a curved road it will drag you side to side or it might need an alignment!! the car might be lowered to much lol

belt noise could be belt could be alternator could be some random excessory

car dieing could be alternator and batt or something more

lastly i would take that thing to some shop you know get a leak down test and compression test on that motor before you buy that thing!!

the possible lack of tune scares the **** outta me!!!!

what state are you located in??

2004 TR Cobra WHIPPLED

RIP 2003 Mustang
Old 02-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #16
slidai
1st Gear Member

When i let off the wheel, the wheel spun half a circle to the right. I was like WOW!!!! The car is def lowered too much which i would have fixed. I would want to replace the exhaust since i want flowmaster, not magnaflow.

The car still has the original battery so i can see why it's not holding a charge after this many years. However, i would throw a meter on there and see what the voltage is while charging.

I just hope i can talk him down a lot on the price with all the problems.

One question, is the stock clutch very stiff? I can't tell if the previous owner had a clutch installed or not. Seems very stiff to me.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #17
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2004 Mustang GT and 1967 Mustang Fastback
Mase V2SQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by everett View Post
420 on stock internals,block can handle about 800 max,teskid blocks are good to 1200. Forged internals of course
420 on a gt, youre good for a lot more with a cobra

2004 Mustang GT
Vortech V2 SQ-Trim
3.33 Pulley
CX Racing Intercooler
Anderson Powerpipe
SLP Catted X
SLP Power-Flo Catback
Eibach Pro-Kit
Steeda Tri-Ax
SCT X3
FRPP 4:10's
Mac 70mm Throttle Body
Tuned by Big Daddy Performance

389 rwhp and 378 rwtq
MCxQubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #18
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

there usually pretty smooth not much effort to use it but still hits hard so it might be aftermarket....

you just need to be careful with the thing if it doesnt have a tune gotta make sure it doesnt tick!

2004 TR Cobra WHIPPLED

RIP 2003 Mustang
Old 02-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #19
slidai
1st Gear Member

The clutch was very stiff and it caught almost instantly. There was no give while letting up on the clutch. Sounds to me like its stock. I can't imagine, with all the work that has been done, that the person who owned it put on a pulley and didn't tune it. Maybe if that was the only mod but there are a lot. Not that i would buy it on that assumption mind you.

There is a Ford dealership 2 miles up the road from this place. The guy said he was going to do his best to locate info on the previous owner and see what mods were done. I maybe just tell them if they want to sell it to take it by the Ford place and do a blow-by and compression test on it and see if the lowering kit is whats causing the bad alignment.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:28 AM   #20
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

sounds like a new clutch and quadrant could be wrong without feeling it lol but either way sounds like you have a good clutch!!

ya sounds like you got a plan let us know how it goes!

2004 TR Cobra WHIPPLED

RIP 2003 Mustang
Old 02-04-2011, 05:28 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
03, 04, 1998, 2004, 700, add, base, cobra, gt, horse, horsepower, horses, limit, max, mustang, power, stock