Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: Which appearance options?
side scoop/ roush spoiler body color painted
8.70%
side scoop/ roush spoiler black to accent rear panel and rims
8.70%
performance mods instead
69.57%
other- please specify in comments
13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Mods- opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 11:28 AM
firecoyote

Default Mods- opinions needed

Ok, still finding my way through this forum and I believe I'm posting in the right section.

I have a '15 magnetic metallic GT (premium package). She is bone stock right now and as far as appearance goes I want to lower her, put roush side scoops, roush spoiler.

My question to y'all, the experts, is, should I have the spoiler and scoops painted body color or have them black to accent the rear panel and the black stock rims? Also, my GT on the back panel is blacked out as well as the pony up front.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:25 AM
GAZRNR

Get a set of ARH long tube headers & full ARH exhaust & a tune. Then a MGW shifter if it's a manual and have some fun!
Old 01-05-2016, 02:07 PM
blackedoutstang15

Hi Fire,

In regards to the poll, I voted other.

I bought my 15 5.0 performance package (bigger brakes and 3.73 gears) and was quite satisfied with how it looked stock (minus needing window tint). It had the nice big black rims and the color was awesome. I bought a can of plasti dip and went to work on de-chroming things. I already had a v6 2015 mustang that I had bought the de-badged back plate from Late Model Restoration, so I switched that to the GT.

The mods that will get you the most bang for your buck to start with IMO:
JLP Cold Air intake (open intake) about $400 with (you have to have this) Custom Tune (mine was from SCT) for 93 octane (ONLY run 93 octane) tune and Cold Air Intake Tune. Tuner costs about $400 and you can also take the speed limiter off.

This above wakes the hell out of this car. Throttle response is SOOOooo much better and you can tell an instant difference. From what the guys at Late Model tell me (they have same year cars and tune them and dyno them all the time), with just the above you would be putting over 400 hp to wheels and same for torque. Whereas stock your closer to 385 hp to wheels and 375 torque. Again the throttle response is a big factor as well.

I did have x pipes on the car with 40 series mufflers (stock tips) on the car, but I don't really see that this would have provided any substantial power gains. Sure does sound awesome though.

I prefer the side scoops to be the color of the car, simply because the scoops that go on the rear side windows (that I've seen) are a shiny black color and they don't match well with the matte of the rear lower end and side skirts.

Hope this helps and have fun!
Old 01-07-2016, 08:50 AM
firecoyote

Thanks so much for the tips and advice guys!

Blackedout: I hear mixed opinions on whether or not the intake needs to be touched. The majority seem to say the stock air intake is sufficient enough to handle other upgrades and that the money for a CAI could be used else where.

I would like an exhaust, as far as messing with the cats and doing headers I'm on the fence about. I'd prefer to find a shop nearby to take my car to than send in my PC for a program.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:58 PM
blackedoutstang15

Originally Posted by firecoyote
Thanks so much for the tips and advice guys!

Blackedout: I hear mixed opinions on whether or not the intake needs to be touched. The majority seem to say the stock air intake is sufficient enough to handle other upgrades and that the money for a CAI could be used else where.

I would like an exhaust, as far as messing with the cats and doing headers I'm on the fence about. I'd prefer to find a shop nearby to take my car to than send in my PC for a program.
Hi Fire,

I would agree if you were going with say, an air raid intake. It's closed box just like the stock intake, with minimized bend upgrades. However, like I mentioned the JLP is an open box and requires a tune. There is a reason why, it requires a tune. I watch my intake temperature numbers non-stop. JLP is putting me 5 degrees higher on highway/non stop runs and 8-10 degrees higher city (sometimes a bit higher). The stock intake that I noticed is 15-20 higher highway/non stop and 20+ city.

Even if you do not elect to go with the intake, please seriously consider doing the tune with 93 octane tune.

You WILL feel the difference.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:21 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

To modify or not?

If I modify a car it it is with the goal to make it look better than what the factory created, not simply make it different. Of course every one has different tastes, but many of today's mods may "personalize" a car, but certainly don't make it look better to my tastes. It is pretty hard to improve on the new Mustang in my opinion. To me it's much like when a incredibly beautiful woman puts tattoos all over her face & neck! It's her right of course, but why?

Last edited by Mr. D; 01-11-2016 at 02:30 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:02 PM
Mustang15

Default S550 mods

Regarding the mods, on my '92 LX 5.0 I had shorty headers and the American Thunder Flowmasters. My mechanic(old car guy) said the headers made the exhaust sound somewhat tinny. On my '02 GT 4.6, I had just the same type Flowmasters with a MAC cold air induction, and I, as well as my mechanic buddy, preferred the sound. I recently put the American Thunder Flowmasters(American Muscle) on my '15 GT, and they make the car come alive. I plan on adding an AirRaid or other cold air induction later, but I couldn't be more pleased with the sound. Personally, since my '02 had the stick-on non-functional hood and side vents, I stay away from these non-functional items, since they add a cheap look to a nice car. Most certainly with the S550 version, but it's always a matter of personal preference.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:08 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Am I wrong, or are the tunes on a 2015/16 GT not giving you much "bang for the buck"? Based on the numbers I'm seeing on tunes I've decided to go with a supercharger or leave the car stock. In reality the h.p. of a GT is about all you need unless you just want to compete.... or scare yourself once in awhile. I'm in the group that just likes to scare myself once in awhile & have something different when I go to a local cruise night. A lot of guys just want to modify their Mustang in some way to personalize it, but you have to wonder whether they really get much back from the money then spend. We all have to do what makes us happy as long as we do it in an informed way. Some mods only benefit the manufacturer in my opinion.

"To make a manufacturer a profit their fishing lures have to catch fisherman, not fish!" That applies to Mods too!

Old 01-16-2016, 03:44 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

I guess "Bang for Buck" could be measured in different ways, but to me the most logical would have to be dollars per HP, and using that metric a stand alone tuner is a pretty good deal, true it only gives about 21HP, but at the bargain price of $19.00 per 1HP, compare that to a supercharger which gives a whopping 235HP, but does it about $31.00 per 1HP.
So for the guy that does not want, or can't spend over $7,000 for a supercharger, a tuner is a great way to go, not to mention if you are running an auto, the improvement in how it shifts after a tune.
Heck and even though a CAI only adds another 10HP, it still comes in at only about $24.00 per 1HP, when combined in a tuner/CAI combo.
I hope this may have helped some people.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
Am I wrong, or are the tunes on a 2015/16 GT not giving you much "bang for the buck"? Based on the numbers I'm seeing on tunes I've decided to go with a supercharger or leave the car stock. In reality the h.p. of a GT is about all you need unless you just want to compete.... or scare yourself once in awhile. I'm in the group that just likes to scare myself once in awhile & have something different when I go to a local cruise night. A lot of guys just want to modify their Mustang in some way to personalize it, but you have to wonder whether they really get much back from the money then spend. We all have to do what makes us happy as long as we do it in an informed way. Some mods only benefit the manufacturer in my opinion.

"To make a manufacturer a profit their fishing lures have to catch fisherman, not fish!" That applies to Mods too!

Most tunes on a 2015/2016 are only adding about 20-25-ish hp to the wheels, true, however, if you have an auto transmission it is dropping peoples 1/4-mile time from 12.7-12.8 in "sports mode" all the way down to 12.3-ish... Which is a pretty big improvement for a $300-400 plug-and-play upgrade. CIAs are questionable at best for the 15/16s, there was a guy on the MustangSource forums who posted quarter-mile time slips with a tune + CIA and a tune + stock air box, and the stock air box was .1 second faster. This could mean that a CIA actually slows the car down, this could also be a regular ol'variable which would still mean there's no real-world improvement from a CIA. (I really don't care what improvements there are from a company's dyno that had a big fan blowing on the CIA, I care about real-world performance )

Last edited by Spork3245; 01-16-2016 at 10:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Mods- opinions needed