Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Paint chips everywhere!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 07:59 PM
Mr. Motion

Default Paint chips everywhere!

Just happened to look back at my 2015 this morning after I parked it in a lot to run into a store. The sun was shining brightly and for the first time, I noticed tons of tiny paint chips along the rocker panels, lower part of the doors and up about a foot on the back fender, in front of the back wheels (both sides). I bought the car used in July with 13K miles on it, but never noticed the chips then or even when I waxed it several weeks later. It appears to be stone chips thrown up by the front tires. I have never driven on a gravel road, but certainly have encountered a lot of paved roads with loose gravel. Is the factory paint on these cars that susceptible to nicks or is something else going on here? The color is Ford's deep metallic blue (don't know the official name).
Old 11-17-2016, 09:18 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

this happens dude..my 2013 camaro is a garage queen..never seen water or gravel roads.
stone chips everywhere.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:36 PM
CaptainX
1st Gear Member

I have them everywhere with my triple yellow tri-coat. From doors, to rocker panels, to the nose and mirrors. One time I very VERY carefully opened my door into the side of my truck which I parked too close to to get out, and it chipped the paint right off the door edge. I just figured it was because of the thickness of the tri-coat, it's less rugged and flexible, so instead of rubbing it just chips off. I did find a really great color match chip repair paint on amazon. Perfect match, just takes patience to get it to look right, and courage to know that you're about to wet sand a 1/16 inch chip into about a 3 inch dull spot in your paint somewhere along the process.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:18 PM
Mr. Motion

I just ordered the custom front splash guards from American Muscle. Hated to pay the $79.95 price tag for two pieces of plastic, but if it stops the "sand blasting" down the sides of the car, it will be worth it. These are "no-drill" splash guards, but based upon some of the comments of others that have purchased them, they tend to come loose (and then lost!). As such, I intend to try to epoxy them on.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:58 AM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
this happens dude..my 2013 camaro is a garage queen..never seen water or gravel roads.
stone chips everywhere.
Same here. Although I did end up driving it from Kansas to eastern TN in a never ending downpour. No choice in that matter. Otherwise never on gravel, never in the rain. I only have one small chip on the front bumper and one on the hood. The rest of the paint is pristine, like new.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:03 PM
jc5057
1st Gear Member

I have a 15 with the same chips and I have the American muscle splash guards. A lot of it is traffic if your sitting still and people blast by you they are launching debris are you too. Not much can be done so prevent it