Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

2015 Mustang What do you think ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 10:03 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Carzzy, I bet you couldn't tell the difference between your car and one with IRS.
I'm sure the IRS rear will make a big difference and very noticeable during high speed or very twisty roads.....the wobbly goose feeling at high speeds will go away and it should HUG the twisty roads instead of bouncing/skipping on the twisties. So, it's terrific for those driving habits but, bad for valve float launches at the track. IRS is finicky!

Here's a Cobra's broken half shaft from wheel hoppin on a launch!

Camaro broken half shaft:
Old 12-08-2013, 08:49 AM
PinupGirl77
ROTM Moderator

I will have to wait until I see one in person before I can make a decision.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:32 PM
nagata
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by daredevil95
The camaro video says it all for us drag racer type, if someone like us buys a camaro....we would have to upgrade the entire IRS system to the 1LE / ZL1 IRS system or aftermarket at a great cost....then it could handle the abuse so, that's what scares me about buying a IRS GT, same type of weak crap that was engineered for just enough strength for a stock GT and will have to upgrade to the future GT500 IRS or aftermarket and we know it will be costly!! or put a Ford 9" in it!
I understand your point (and that of many others who are interested in getting the best 1/4 mile times possible), but what percentage of Mustang buyers does this make up? A fraction of a percent? Ford has to evolve the Mustang to appeal to a broader audience. The broader public wants to see improvements, wants to believe that they're getting "the most modern sports car" at an affordable price. Personally, I welcome the IRS because, anymore, I'm more interested in excellent handling characteristics, ESPECIALLY when the 2015+ Mustang GT will already have well over 400 HP; hopefully the suspension will be more than up to the challenge of harnessing the power. We're talking about new stock Mustangs that will be, in comparison to most previous Mustangs, more powerful, faster, and handle better than most people could realistically hope to achieve, even with significant time & money invested in modifications.

Now, I'm still an enthusiast, I will still want to boost power and capability some, and I want to see the awesome power other enthusiasts will squeeze out of the new Mustangs. I really hope that the new Mustang's IRS will be designed for the stock power PLUS a healthy safety margin; I know I won't want to have to worry about breaking splines or half-shafts on a solid launch, especially at stock or near-stock power levels. Only time will tell, we won't know anything for sure until the new generation is released and enthusiasts start putting them to the test.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Varun Kumar Somuri

Old 12-08-2013, 06:05 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by Dencon
I am someone that fell in love with the S197 even before they came out. I was finally an owner of one 7 months ago. So these have been some hard years for me. So now that I finally have one at the end of the S197 era. I was bumming a little about this new car. But then I saw it Thursday and all I kept saying to myself is, "I know what my next car is going to be."
I LOVE IT!
Someone earlier on this thread mention that it reminded him of 007's car.
I have to agree, yes it looks very Aston Martin like. And I love that look.
Here is the D9

...and the '15 Mustang.

I am quite alright with it. Great styling and looks like a Mustang without a doubt.
Damn...that is an excellent visual.

Read an article about the next Z06 and thought I'd include a side photo as well for comparison:

Last edited by 99GTvert; 12-08-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:49 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nagata
I understand your point (and that of many others who are interested in getting the best 1/4 mile times possible), but what percentage of Mustang buyers does this make up? A fraction of a percent? Ford has to evolve the Mustang to appeal to a broader audience. The broader public wants to see improvements, wants to believe that they're getting "the most modern sports car" at an affordable price. Personally, I welcome the IRS because, anymore, I'm more interested in excellent handling characteristics, ESPECIALLY when the 2015+ Mustang GT will already have well over 400 HP; hopefully the suspension will be more than up to the challenge of harnessing the power. We're talking about new stock Mustangs that will be, in comparison to most previous Mustangs, more powerful, faster, and handle better than most people could realistically hope to achieve, even with significant time & money invested in modifications.

Now, I'm still an enthusiast, I will still want to boost power and capability some, and I want to see the awesome power other enthusiasts will squeeze out of the new Mustangs. I really hope that the new Mustang's IRS will be designed for the stock power PLUS a healthy safety margin; I know I won't want to have to worry about breaking splines or half-shafts on a solid launch, especially at stock or near-stock power levels. Only time will tell, we won't know anything for sure until the new generation is released and enthusiasts start putting them to the test.
Yea, I agree but, my point is: Ford usually does "barely enough" engineering/strength with some of there products along with doing some things well. My point was, the IRS needs to be done right the first time! Along with my Stang I have a modified vette and I launched on the track and street, at least a few hundred times and never had a problem, Chevy over engineered their IRS and it works well....although Chevy has a problem with quality elsewhere on there cars, the motor, tranny and rear end in a chevy is usually bullet proof but, the rest of their cars fall apart...LOL! Here's a pic of a vette IRS, those half shaft's are awesome and will never be a concern....for most guys under 700hp! How many vette buyers drag race their Vettes, I'm guessing, less then 10% but, chevy still had the hindsight to over build certain parts as to not get bad press or unhappy owners...hope Ford does the same! That's my 2 cents.

Last edited by daredevil95; 12-08-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:04 PM
oldpony

Default I thought that the Mustang is an "American Muscle" Car

This new design has European styling. If I wanted that I would buy a BMW. They are great cars but, they are not American Muscle. If Ford wants to appeal to the crowd that hops up Honda's and Toyotas with the styling of the new Mustang they probably got it right but, if their intention was to make a Mustang they really got it wrong.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:00 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by oldpony
This new design has European styling. If I wanted that I would buy a BMW. They are great cars but, they are not American Muscle. If Ford wants to appeal to the crowd that hops up Honda's and Toyotas with the styling of the new Mustang they probably got it right but, if their intention was to make a Mustang they really got it wrong.
Yea, looks as though we may be benefiting from the Global Mustang Desire, the over all look and mechanics cater towards the US market but, the interior quality/design/materials and IRS seem to be European influenced. I'm ok with that, I prefer a cheap plastic Mustang to keep the cost low but, I won't complain about a nicer interior and better handling but, a little skeptical with IRS construction.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:45 PM
dkpGTCS
2nd Gear Member

The interior looks fantastic. The exterior looks good but I want to see one in person. Overall I think they did a great job even though some will still call it a Fusion coupe for a while.

Chevy will have to step up to the plate w/ their next gen in '16 to match what Ford's done. (Coming from a guy that also has a 2010 Camaro).
Old 12-09-2013, 12:25 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

I just wish they would use a blue closer to Vista, or Sonic, that would make it better for me.

Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang What do you think ?