Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > The New S550 2015 Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


The New S550 2015 Mustang Discussions on the next generation of the Ford Mustang.
Sponsored by American Muscle


Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


2015 Mustang Radio removable for aftermarket?

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
omelet1978
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 2010 Ford Fusion Sport
Location: NV
Posts: 15
Default 2015 Mustang Radio removable for aftermarket?

Hi,

Will more than likely pick up a used 2015 Mustang in a year or two. I was wondering if the stock radio is removable or integrated into the dash?

I'd like to either put an aftermarket radio in or upgrade to Ford's Navigation unit.

Thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
omelet1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:10 AM   #2
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member
 
JIM5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 2011 GT 5.0 Coyote
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,404
None, Facebook is the Devil! None, Twitter is for Twits! None, I hate it when my boss snoops the net about me
Default

My initial guess is yes, it will be removable, but that is only from knowing that the S197 and SN95 radios were removable.
I do not know for sure if it will be, so I am going to follow this thread to find out too.

There are so many questions I have about the S550 that I am not ready to buy one just yet. I want to find out what can be customized (just like you, I would like to upgrade the radio), what parts would need to be upgraded if you mod the engine, what the stock suspension components will be like, and just how much each OEM part can take from mods.

Fortunately, there are a whole slew of Mustang modders and aftermarket guys everywhere; they will be the guinea pigs and pioneer the territories of these OEM part limits so that I can simply wait for them to break their cars instead of I breaking my own from modding it.
I will then have the benefit of learning from their mistakes and upgrading all things at the same time as necessary so that there is not an OEM part that would be at risk because I didn't know to upgrade it.
__________________

Squirrel of Death!
Do not **** off the SoD!!!!

Last edited by JIM5.0; 08-24-2014 at 12:12 AM.
JIM5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:18 AM   #3
jz78817
3rd Gear Member
 
jz78817's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 2012 Ford Mustang GT
Location: Michigan
Posts: 829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by omelet1978 View Post
Hi,

Will more than likely pick up a used 2015 Mustang in a year or two. I was wondering if the stock radio is removable or integrated into the dash?

I'd like to either put an aftermarket radio in or upgrade to Ford's Navigation unit.

Thanks!
it looks to be the same as S197; the radio is behind the center stack bezel. You'd have to replace a good bit of stuff to put in an aftermarket HU. I don't know if putting in the factory touch screen hardware after the fact would be feasible; there are a LOT of wiring differences behind there between the low-level system and the one with MyFord Touch. If you want the MyFord Touch system it's really best to get it with the car. You'll spend a lot more money and time trying to install it later.
jz78817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:47 PM   #4
Ddude122
 
Ddude122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Vehicle: 2014 Mustang gt
Location: California
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
it looks to be the same as S197; the radio is behind the center stack bezel. You'd have to replace a good bit of stuff to put in an aftermarket HU. I don't know if putting in the factory touch screen hardware after the fact would be feasible; there are a LOT of wiring differences behind there between the low-level system and the one with MyFord Touch. If you want the MyFord Touch system it's really best to get it with the car. You'll spend a lot more money and time trying to install it later.
Not neccesarily true i had a base 2013 everyone said it would be impossible to add sync to the base car without it, when in fact all the harnesses and connections were the same
I never retrofit the nav but all connections were pretty much the same when i researched it the only difference was the placement of wires
Ddude122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:10 PM   #5
jz78817
3rd Gear Member
 
jz78817's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 2012 Ford Mustang GT
Location: Michigan
Posts: 829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddude122 View Post
Not neccesarily true i had a base 2013 everyone said it would be impossible to add sync to the base car without it, when in fact all the harnesses and connections were the same
I never retrofit the nav but all connections were pretty much the same when i researched it the only difference was the placement of wires
what did your car come with, and what did you add to it?
jz78817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:53 AM   #6
Redeemer
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 2015, Ford, Mustang GT Premium
Location: TX
Posts: 10
Default

I think this would present some challenges, depending upon which factory HU you have. The touchscreen integrates many of the car's features, and that appears to be by design. That would be fine, except for the fact that auto manufacturers use absolute crap audio components, even with the premium sound packages. Ford seems to be no exception. I usually always upgrade the HU, and speakers, adding a sub and amp as well. I don't see myself doing that now, until I have seen results from the brave ones.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:38 PM   #7
Ddude122
 
Ddude122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Vehicle: 2014 Mustang gt
Location: California
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
what did your car come with, and what did you add to it?
Absolutley nothing it was a base 2014 gt i retrofitted the premium gauges with track apps and then also retrofitted sync if anyones interested in doing that id definatley be willing to help, i bought a fiesta st to save on gas but it turned out a lemon so now ill be getting. A base ecoboost.
Ddude122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:43 AM   #8
jz78817
3rd Gear Member
 
jz78817's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 2012 Ford Mustang GT
Location: Michigan
Posts: 829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddude122 View Post
Absolutley nothing it was a base 2014 gt i retrofitted the premium gauges with track apps and then also retrofitted sync if anyones interested in doing that id definatley be willing to help, i bought a fiesta st to save on gas but it turned out a lemon so now ill be getting. A base ecoboost.
which version of SYNC? the one w/o nav and the one w/ nav are very different. and neither apply to the S550 so I don't think you can be as "helpful" as you claim.
jz78817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:43 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 PM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup