Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Downsides to Performance Pack?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 04:23 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Default Downsides to Performance Pack?

For a person that never goes to the track, doesn't race on the street & only goes WOT on straight line open highways away from traffic are there any downsides to "ride", etc. to the Performance Pack? How much does it affect the comfort of the ride? (Now, I'm not knocking the PP, guys... so don't get sensitive if you have one on your Mustang!)
Old 05-01-2015, 07:20 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Your best bet would be to drive a car with the PP and get some solid seat time on roads that aren't the smoothest. I bet the PP is more fun when going WOT or carving corners but does ride worse in regular daily driving duty.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:40 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Well I'm glad you are thinking of getting a manual transmission, cause we all know performance package is not available on cars with automatic transmissions.
But like 99 said, the only way to know is to drive, cause I may think it rides great, while others think it rides harsh, it really is a subjective thing.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:37 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

I had an op to drive a new 2014 GT with PP.
I was frankly shocked by how poorly,and how rigid, it rode.A real buckboard.Every little defect and pebble on the highway was felt.
I would never order it as an option.It must be brutal and exhausting on any kind of a trip.
The only performance option that I would consider,would be the 3.55 rear.

AK,I don't know about the GT,but PP is available on EB automatics.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:26 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camster
I had an op to drive a new 2014 GT with PP.
I was frankly shocked by how poorly,and how rigid, it rode.A real buckboard.Every little defect and pebble on the highway was felt.
I would never order it as an option.It must be brutal and exhausting on any kind of a trip.
The only performance option that I would consider,would be the 3.55 rear.

AK,I don't know about the GT,but PP is available on EB automatics.
I'm guessing you meant the 2015 GT.
And you are correct the EB does allow auto with the Perf pack, but D has stated multiple times he will be looking at the GT, but I should not have been so sloppy by not being specific.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:35 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Thanx for the replies!

Sorry, I'm still thinking about a GT automatic with a supercharger & a set of Bilstein shocks. My "fun cars" have always been extra cars, but I think my wife & I will drive this GT in traffic for everyday use more often. What I was interested in was if there were any PP Pack add ons that were must have that I might want to add after market as they are not available with an automatic? 627 HP should give a Mustang an interesting passing gear! In Europe the a Mustang GT could be a poor man's Aston Martin, but a lot more bang for the buck! All the Mustang GT needs is a double clutch transmission, but that would probably raise the price 50%. LOL!

Just a little more bang for the buck, James Bond & Europe! LOL! Hard to find a picture os a 2015 Mustang GT without those damn black wheels! They are as bad as hearing the word "Awesome" for the 368 Zillionth time. (SMILE)

Last edited by Mr. D; 05-02-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:07 PM
JohnnyB15GT
1st Gear Member

If you are never going to the track, maybe the PP is not for you. If you are more of a "hardcore" performance junkie, get the PP. As one who was never bothered by a stiff ride, I do not find the PP 2015 objectionable. Yes, it is stiffer than the standard suspension, but I think the performance benefits outweigh the stiffer ride. Again, I was never bothered by a stiff suspension, and actually welcomed it, as it usually meant a better handling vehicle.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:10 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

D I know you have said you don't really want the stuff that comes with the premium model, but again only some seat time will let you know, but the heated/cooled leather electric seats are very nice, to be able to set them to just the right settings really makes it nice, and they remember yours and the wife's settings. Not to mention the driving modes, which more than one person has raved about, I don't know about you but my ex always like it hotter in the car than I, so the duel zone climate control could be nice. As far as upgrades from the PP that you might want, maybe the 3:55's, but with over 600 hp maybe not, the stock brakes are already like the big brake kit from the 05-14, if after having it awhile you think you need more, try different pads first. I would even hold off on rushing to put different dampers on, as you may find the stockers are nice as is.
Again I think the big thing is some seat time, in both a GT regular, and a GT premium, as I told another guy a test drive really don't give you much time to check it out, maybe see if you can rent one of each for back to back weekends, so you can really get an idea about which is a better fit, for such a large purchase I think it is money well spent.
Darn look who got all long winded. selfie

Last edited by AK_Kayaker; 05-02-2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:14 PM
JohnnyB15GT
1st Gear Member

D, another thing. If you are planning on over 600 HP, I think you definitely need the PP solely for the Brembo 6-piston brakes. Well worth it, in my opinion.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:23 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AK_Kayaker
D I know you have said you don't really want the stuff that comes with the premium model, but again only some seat time will let you know, but the heated/cooled leather electric seats are very nice, to be able to set them to just the right settings really makes it nice, and they remember yours and the wife's settings. Not to mention the driving modes, which more than one person has raved about, I don't know about you but my ex always like it hotter in the car than I, so the duel zone climate control could be nice. As far as upgrades from the PP that you might want, maybe the 3:55's, but with over 600 hp maybe not, the stock brakes are already like the big brake kit from the 05-14, if after having it awhile you think you need more, try different pads first. I would even hold off on rushing to put different dampers on, as you may find the stockers are nice as is.
Again I think the big thing is some seat time, in both a GT regular, and a GT premium, as I told another guy a test drive really don't give you much time to check it out, maybe see if you can rent one of each for back to back weekends, so you can really get an idea about which is a better fit, for such a large purchase I think it is money well spent.
Darn look who got all long winded. selfie
You maybe right about a premium, & I can easily afford it! My problem is that I grew up poor, & wound up a little cheap! I can spend money on anyone but myself! I've given both my kids new cars, but I have trouble buying one for myself! ?????

I've found standard brakes hold up to my WOT attacks for "ONE" stop from any reasonable speed. I think those who track a Mustang need the brake options because of fade. Being old school, I get my giggles from 0 to 80 in a safe situation, then back off & drive like an adult!

Hey, what's wrong with long winded people? Finally I've found something I like about you!

Quick Reply: Downsides to Performance Pack?