The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

New Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:30 PM
GrnBullitt08
5th Gear Member

Default New Project

Alright I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. My friend just bought a 1992 Mustang LX and he just sent it off to get caged and tubbed in the rear. He doesnt have an engine for it just yet and hes been weighing out his options. The other day we went out to have a few drinks and I said how his car would be a beast with my motor in it. (He's the one who built the 323ci KB Blown motor thats in my 2008 Bullitt now). So he offers me $10,000 for combo. Of course thats well below what I paid for it all. He tells me he wants to rework the motor, set it up with nitrous, up the boost and try to make around 1,000hp. His goal is to put the car into the 8's. Which I think is possible with that kind of power and that light LX body. I told him $12,500 and its his. *I'm having some issues with the motor right now as it is, I think its just a tuning problem but who really knows. I havent dug into yet.*
I want to know what everyone thinks here. I still have my original bullitt 4.6L motor sitting on a engine stand in my garage, so it will be a simple pull and replace ordeal and my car is up and running with the original power plant. Plus I could really use the money to fix my port side drive, and freshin up the motors in my boat for this summer. Maybe even have a little extra cash to mod the stock motor.

The total motor build/trans/rear-end work set me back around $18,000, and I'm not including the trans and rear-end goodies, just the motor.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:11 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

its a tough call, when you get to the power levels your at, there are typically problems. A few guys I know have or are in the process of dialing their cars down. If you want a reliable ride, take his offer and throw a blower on the OEM motor w/ 10psi stay in the 425-450 rwhp area and have fun with the car.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:39 PM
GrnBullitt08
5th Gear Member

Yeah thats what I was thinking....I dont really want to tear my bullitt apart to roll cage it and what not, plus tear the stock drivetrain apart anymore than it already is. I think a blower or turbo on the stock motor will suit my needs for the car. He called today and said he would do the $12,500 so I'm prob gonna go ahead and sell it too him. His car will have a better total set-up for the power.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:40 PM
GrnBullitt08
5th Gear Member

I'm surprised I didnt get more opinions on this, lol.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

unfortunately not the best site to ask....
Old 04-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Red Turbo Integra
4th Gear Member

I don't think I would have done it. I know I paid for all my parts for a reason, and it wasn't to take a hit on them, LOL. If your hurting for the cash, that's one thing, but if your not, why do it? If you need a little extra cash sell the stock motor. I don't know what stock mustang motors go for but I would expect at least 5K.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:46 PM
GrnBullitt08
5th Gear Member

I'm not really hurting too bad for cash its just my better half didnt want me to do it in the first place so I did it behind her back, lol, and now that I'm having some issues with the motor and what not and I'm prob going to have to dump more money into the car for traction because I'm still not close to hooking up, I think I may have gotten a little over my head for the time being. I might use a little of the extra cash to mod the stock motor for right now maybe still go forced induction. Save the full build for later, or possibly a different car.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:05 PM
Red Turbo Integra
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GrnBullitt08
I'm not really hurting too bad for cash its just my better half didnt want me to do it in the first place so I did it behind her back, lol, and now that I'm having some issues with the motor and what not and I'm prob going to have to dump more money into the car for traction because I'm still not close to hooking up, I think I may have gotten a little over my head for the time being. I might use a little of the extra cash to mod the stock motor for right now maybe still go forced induction. Save the full build for later, or possibly a different car.
Oh, yeah, I know all about bieng in over my head, and it deffinatly has cost me, and will probably still continue to cost me as I need some traction parts myself. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:31 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Red - stock motors go for the 1500-2000 range max
Old 04-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Red Turbo Integra
4th Gear Member

Wow, I would have thought they would be more expensive.

Quick Reply: New Project