The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

How fast is fast?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

I know it's technically a power adder, but when I think of a car with a power adder I think of a car that has an aftermarket blower/turbo. When I see a GTI with a 1.8T, even with bolt-ons I don't consider it a power adder car as long as the turbo is the stock piece. Again, just my opinion, and was wondering what you guys thought.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

generally when i've heard people use the term power adder they say you wont run xx.x in the 1/4 without a power adder.. or you wont be x car w/o a power adder.. people wouldn't really say that about a car that comes stock with one.. they'd say probably new turbo or whatever.. w/o a whipple or a kennebell etc..

I wouldn't say my friend has a power adder.. i'd say he is supercharged.. I also wouldn't call a cam a power adder.. and i also dont like the idea of saying pulley only but not mentioning other mods.. everyone keeps assuming supporting mods.. but really.. different people would consider different mods to be standard supporting mods.. maybe they'll say pulley only but be full bolt ons.. someone else might consider it intake + pulley only.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Thats definitely one of those subjects that really doesn't have a right or wrong answer, Project.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:49 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

"How fast is fast," is a semantical question. It's all relative IMO. I drive a 14 sec car, so a 13 sec car feels pretty fast. If I drove a 13 sec car, then a 14 sec car would fell fast, so on and so forth.

PS I'm hoping to win the ROTM competition this month and was counting on my S/S buddies for a vote. There are three other fine cars I'm competing against, hopefully you'll think my 4i is just that much finer. Check my sig.

Last edited by 83gtragtop; 09-11-2009 at 02:52 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:41 AM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

Originally Posted by Projectquick
I think Morbid's point was if you say pulley only, it is very easy to jump to the conclusion that you meant the only mod was a pulley swap. If you say pulley only you should at least mention the fact that there is supporting mods.
at least someone is on the ball...

without decent rubber and supporting mods 11's will not be attainable, too much low end torque to apply thorough street compound 245's.... I've seen stock E55 AMG's put a hurting on pulley swapped terminators WITH supporting mods, then I've seen the same terminator throw drag radials on and put a couple lengths on the E55

E55's are low 12 second cars

I think it stands to say you are not going to find me any 11 second "pulley swap only" terminator runs without a good set of rubber and a list of supporting mods... which would make it not pulley only

in this instance it seems the terminator guys are just as guilty as the LS1 guys in saying "cam only".... sure an F body might have a cam, but when someone comes out with full bolt on's slicks, skinnies a cam and a 4500 stall through 4L60E and runs 10's then goes and claims "cam only" as his mods you have to wonder how far these "automotive guy" rules can go before it just gets stupid... LS1/Terminator guys people may be, but psychics they are not, a clear list of mods is your friend to avoid confusion

Last edited by Morbid Intentions; 09-11-2009 at 05:45 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:33 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Morbid, give it up. It is just a term that we/people use. It was never meant to taken 100% literal. When someone in the hobby says "cam only" or "pulley only" it is assumed that the car has supporting mods, at least it is by the people who own these cars, build them and race them. Lets not get caught up in another argument about semantics, this thread has been derailed enough.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Well w/e I agree with Morbid but it is what it is.

Back OT.. It amazes me how high some people set the bar. A 9-10 second street driven car before it's fast? Basically means a ZR1 wouldn't even really impress you that much. All I can say to that is... WOW.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:36 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

It does not matter if you agree with the term or not, people are going to keep using it, you might as well understand what means. I think it is silly to think a car has to run 9's or 10's to be considered fast (on the street anyways). It all really depends on where you live and how many people in your area are into cars. Around me there are a ton car people with some fast rides, so an 11 second street car is very common. Back where I grew up in Maine an 11 car would be king on the street.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Fastest mustang in my town that I know of, FWIW, is an 11.4 @ 126mph car. That was run in a 5000' DA. 1.8 60'. It's a streetable car but that time was ofcourse pulled on slicks.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Originally Posted by Riptide
Well w/e I agree with Morbid but it is what it is.

Back OT.. It amazes me how high some people set the bar. A 9-10 second street driven car before it's fast? Basically means a ZR1 wouldn't even really impress you that much. All I can say to that is... WOW.
LOL what can I say... I hang with a fast crew.

btw - the ZR1 is impressive!

Quick Reply: How fast is fast?