The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Cobalt SS S/C'd vs. IRS GT vert race

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 01:27 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Default Cobalt SS S/C'd vs. IRS GT vert race

So as the title states, raced my friend the other night(perfect night for a race...especially for him. 55 degrees, no humidity, you know...like perfect night for racing) in his cobalt ss s/c. We raced 3 times between where we go to school and his house. Now before we get into the races, i'll go over mods with you guys.

His car:
He calls it stage 2...but it consists of a 2.8 pulley(15psi), full exhaust, intake, tune, stock wheels.

My car: JLT CAI, Catted X, FR500 CB, Fully built IRS with stock 03 cobra gears(3.55's incase you didnt know), rear coilovers, heavy a$$ 18x9/10.5 cobra wheels, canned tune, and thats about it. For me there are really no power mods besides exhaust and even thats minimal.

So first race...roll race from about 40mph. Now this is somewhat good for me because when we went for it, he didnt pull on me too hard...until i missed 3rd. By the time we hit 110, he had about 5 cars on me.

Second race was from 60mph...not good for me. Rev matched to 2nd to find out that I was bouncing off my limiter at 6200rpm so after that point so had to start at the bottom of third essentially which hurt me. So we're pulling and I hit third without letting off the gas and he only slightly pulls on me and maybe has 2-3 cars on me this time. Granted we are not side by side, rather hes in front of me and im behind him playing catch-up.

3rd race was from around 45mph so I used the top of second and had a little better luck with him only putting 2 cars on me from him being about a car ahead of me when we went for it in the first place.

Overall, for my mods I'm not unhappy with the outcome. i mean Ive driven a Cobalt SS running 15psi before and I did not think that my car would fair out that well against it.
What do you guys think? Did I do ok for my mods, especially while running 3.55's? Mind you he weighs probably 800lbs or better less than I and is probably running about the same amount of power as I am. Thoughts? We were both cool about it. It was just for fun so I didnt care if I wont or not...I added more weight, took rear gears out of the equation, and added the fact of more drivetrain loss due to u-joints in the half shafts so i was pretty impressed.

Discuss this for me will you? I know next summer I will cream him with what I have planned so its no concern that I will have the faster car, but for now I'm pretty happy that I didnt get completely butt raped.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:29 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

^^^^with your minimal mods I say you did pretty good especailly if the guy's running 15 psi. I raced a guy around the way in a S/C SS and he had me by about 3 cars after we left off at 110. The mods that I had then were O/R H-pipe, flowmaster american thunder exhuast and CAI. Use to **** me off because everytime I would see him he would always flash his lights and do a very sarcastic wave. A year later I added the Cams, 410's and was hoping to catch him for rematch. One day out of nowhere he's beside me at a light. He's reving and reving. Light turns green and I instantly put a car on him and after we shut down at around 90 I had a two car lead. Should have seen his face.. Anywho what mods are you planning on getting next summer??

Last edited by Soldier GT; 09-02-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:10 AM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

I would definitely threw in a race from a dig ! over all I say you did ok. A shot Nitrous would of helped.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:30 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I'd run it from a dig, personally I never have raced anyone from a roll I'm strickly a digger and a race and a dig usually have totally different outcomes.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:03 AM
Spilotro
2nd Gear Member

Race him from a dead stop. My girlfriend was driving my car a few weeks ago, and some *** hat kept messing with her in one of these, revving the motor at her and goosing the throttle. She finally said "that's stupid" and tromped it to the floor in drive as he got in it. It was the first time she had even went beyond half throttle in my car, the TCS was on, and she's a very inexperienced driver; with her beginner's hole shot, the guy didn't even get his rear wheel in front of my bumper by 50mph. Granted, the guy was probably a terrible driver, but I can promise he's had more time behind the wheel of that Cobalt than she has combined in every car she has driven. I have a K&N, O/R X pipe with factory muffs, air silencer removed, and running Mobil 1 synthetic.

She later said cars like that are for guys with short dick syndrome.

Last edited by Spilotro; 09-02-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:05 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Tell your friend to step his game up. Teej is coming back with a vengeance next summer.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:11 AM
wolverine8490
3rd Gear Member

I raced my buddies stock Ion redline in my 95 M3 when I had it. Granted he was stock, as was I, but they are pretty quick little cars. On the highway I smoked him from a 3rd gear drop. From a dig, it was a pretty close race. I had him by about 1/2 of car length.

I also say race him from a dig. I think you would have a good chance at that point.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:41 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Get it off the Fukcing street... people
Old 09-02-2010, 07:45 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
^^^^with your minimal mods I say you did pretty good especailly if the guy's running 15 psi. I raced a guy around the way in a S/C SS and he had me by about 3 cars after we left off at 110. The mods that I had then were O/R H-pipe, flowmaster american thunder exhuast and CAI. Use to **** me off because everytime I would see him he would always flash his lights and do a very sarcastic wave. A year later I added the Cams, 410's and was hoping to catch him for rematch. One day out of nowhere he's beside me at a light. He's reving and reving. Light turns green and I instantly put a car on him and after we shut down at around 90 I had a two car lead. Should have seen his face.. Anywho what mods are you planning on getting next summer??
your story makes me smile
Old 09-02-2010, 07:50 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Teej you forgot to mention that this race took place in Guam.

Quick Reply: Cobalt SS S/C'd vs. IRS GT vert race