The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Infiniti G35 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:55 PM
tspence45
4th Gear Member

Default Infiniti G35 Coupe

So, any ideas on how the old Slobalt would do against a G35 coupe? I just ran into one on my way home and thought about following him out further in the country to play a little, but didn't have that much gas left and didn't want to end up not being able to make it back to town. lol. I've seen it around a few times and have been wanting to get a run in with it, just haven't had the chance yet. I'm sure I'll be able to track him down once it gets a little nicer out if I keep the Slowbalt long enough. Just wondering what to expect. Fairly sure it's stock or very close. Might have exhaust and that's it. I think it's either an 05 or 06 with a manual. So, it'd be the 298hp model, instead of the earlier(03-04) models with 282hp. How would the Slobalt do against it?
Old 02-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I believe those only have 260 hp, either way it would be a absolute slaughter with your mods, even if you were stock to be honest. My wife drives an 07 G35 Sedan with the HR engine (306 hp) and a 3.73 rear, and from a roll I pull her pretty good with her taking the jump. From a dig on the street, I have to play catch up cause her car basically hooks and goes. I can run here down by 80-90 mph. Her's is good for a high 13 at 103, but the G35 Coupes are basically high 14 second cars and trap less than 100. Even from a dig, you ought to be able to handle a G35 coupe pretty easily. Anyway, its the newer 07+ G35 Sedans and G37s that you want to keep an eye on.

You not enjoying the SS?
Old 02-13-2011, 10:25 PM
tspence45
4th Gear Member

Good to know. I thought the 05-06 coupe manuals were rated at 298hp though. That's what wikipedia told me atleast.

And I'm enjoying the car, just not as much as I thought I would. It's fun. But, going from the Trans Am to it was just too much of a difference and I need to get back into something that doesn't sound like a weedwacker. lol. I found a nice '03 Mach 5speed w/ 50k on it at a dealer in Wisconson that I think I might go look at next weekend to see if they can work me a decent deal on a trade. I'll only do it if they'll be willing to make me a good deal though, which usually doesn't happen at a stealership. lol
Old 02-14-2011, 10:59 AM
vashthe3rd
2nd Gear Member

they're all slow and heavy
Weak torque, sound awful, have compression issues above 60K miles I believe
I wrecked them when my car was a stock auto convertible, you'll have no problem
Old 02-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Heavy? My 07 G35 sedan weighs less than your Mustang, and its fully loaded. It has no issues lighting up both of the stock 18's. Gearing>Torque. There not all slow. Mine is a high 13 car, but the G37 runs low 13s.

I agree the G35 coupes are a disappointment, but they are nothing like that now.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:16 PM
vashthe3rd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Heavy? My 07 G35 sedan weighs less than your Mustang, and its fully loaded. It has no issues lighting up both of the stock 18's. Gearing>Torque. There not all slow. Mine is a high 13 car, but the G37 runs low 13s.

I agree the G35 coupes are a disappointment, but they are nothing like that now.
Forgive my skepticism but there isn't a stock sedan around that I've seen run 13's. Maybe one with all the silly exhausts and plenum spacers with bigger tires can crack it, but I don't know anyone willing to waste the money.
A G37 sedan will also not run low 13's.
I don't know where you're getting your facts there mate but the math alone doesn't add up for starters. Not to mention reviewers barely cranked a mid 13 on the new sedans.
Nearly anything with a stock internal VQ35 in it is slow. Anyone with a stock GT and a brain should have no problem out running that engine, no matter the platform.
Gearing > torque? If that's true why did I trounce G35's when I was stock. Right down to the 3.31's?
And yes they're quite heavy. That curb weight rating is not what it actually weighs if it's fully loaded. Trust me fully loaded ones with passengers cut close to 2 tons.

Last edited by vashthe3rd; 02-14-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:48 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vashthe3rd
Forgive my skepticism but there isn't a stock sedan around that I've seen run 13's. Maybe one with all the silly exhausts and plenum spacers with bigger tires can crack it, but I don't know anyone willing to waste the money.
I don't know where you're getting your facts there mate but the math alone doesn't add up for starters. Not to mention reviewers barely cranked a mid 13 on the new sedans.
Nearly anything with a stock internal VQ35 in it is slow. Anyone with a stock GT and a brain should have no problem out running that engine, no matter the platform.
Gearing > torque? If that's true why did I trounce G35's when I was stock. Right down to the 3.31's?
And yes they're quite heavy. That curb weight rating is not what it actually weighs if it's fully loaded. Trust me fully loaded ones with passengers cut close to 2 tons.
Insideline pulled a 13.9 at 102 out of the 2007 G35s Sedan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB3SMj3Em2A

No, they do not weigh 2 tons loaded. The G35 Sport Sedan comes standard loaded, and they weigh 3532 pounds for the manual, and just under 3600 for the automatic, so I don't know where the hell you come up with an extra 400 lbs.

Yes, G37s can run lower 13s.

Bolt ons don't do jack for the the VQ35 or the HR engine. They run what they run.

The reason you beat those G35s so bad when you were stock is because 1. You ran the older, slow 260hp VQ35 and 2. even if you ran an 07-08 G35 Sedan with the VQ35HR, the 3V still has the edge, although it would be very close with equal drivers, ESPECIALLY from a dig.

You're torque argument is silly. My G35 will still pull off the same 60' foot times and mid 0-60 mph times as any stock 3 Valve. You need to do some research on how torque curves, RPM, and Gearing work together.

I'll tell you what. Lets not take the magazines word for it, or even other people's time slips. Instead, how about I take my G35 Sedan by the scale on my way to the track next weekend. If it weighs more than 3600 lbs without me in it, and doesn't run a high 13, I'll be the first to admit it. I'd rather prove it than argue with you.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:34 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vashthe3rd

This is, without a doubt, the dumbest comment I've heard in a LONG time. What exactly do you thing a 2005 GT weights? Its no civic hatchback, with passengers it WILL be at or above 2 tons. A 5spd 2005 GT weights over 100lbs more than my full size auto altima SER and the auto GT is 200lbs more. Do you even know the definition of curb weight? How are you gonna compare vehicle weights with passengers in it? While the VQ35 is not a preferred platform for a drag racing car, people have picked worse(cars with <2.0L of displacement) its no slouch either it moves nicely for what it is. My Altima SER moves quite nicely yet still rides like its on a cloud.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Oh hell, I didn't even catch the part about it being fully loaded WITH PASSENGERS. I read it as just "fully loaded". Jeez, I wouldn't of even responded to that nonsense if I had of read it correctly, lol.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:33 PM
vashthe3rd
2nd Gear Member

Allow me to explain
1) G35's had options, if yours was truly "fully loaded" it weighs more than the curb weight, Sorry I was typing while doing something else, I meant driver.
Weighing in at 3500 lbs. bare bones, full fluids, standard equipment, etc.

2) I never said my AUTO VERT weighed any less, so how about you bite your tongue
3) I beat more than one G35, including ones with the HR engine.
I like how you said gearing> torque prior to that last post
now you say I won because of a torque advantage

My point was simple, they're heavy slouches with no room for improvement, sorry that instigated butthurt from someone on a MUSTANG forum. Isn't that what everyone whines about when someone says the non-Ford car would've won in a kill thread?

"Moving" for "what it is" now THAT is the dumbest thing anyone ever says.
You know who I hear that most from? People who own stock econo-cars or things with no room for improvement that they've already dumped a bunch of money into.
Fast for what it is doesn't mean anything. My car is fast for a turbo charged mustang
a stock civic is fast for a stock civic. It's a statement that isn't stating anything.

Quick Reply: Infiniti G35 Coupe