The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

2001 Gti

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 07:47 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Default 2001 Gti

So one of my crazy friends just bought one. 5 speed 1.8T with 170k on it, he says in 2 months he'll have it ready to beat me. What would it take for him to beat me from a dig and most likely a 40 mph roll? I just have 3.73's although my future mods are tires, clutch, o/r mid pipe (Just for the sound lol) and now a 100 shot of nitrous. Any way for him to keep up?
Old 02-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

With a 100 shot of nitrous no way he keeps up. Just wondering do the Bullits share the same shortblock as the New Edge GT's??
Old 02-14-2011, 07:55 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
With a 100 shot of nitrous no way he keeps up. Just wondering do the Bullits share the same shortblock as the New Edge GT's??
Yes they do, the differences are the intake manifolds, twin 65mm throttle body, they re-mapped the engine for more a flatter tq curve. But the blocks are the same.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:59 PM
perfect.disguise
5th Gear Member

Those things are slow, the Si you raced would smoke it. Swaps are expensive and it will take some $$$ for him to hang with you car on nitrous.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:34 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by perfect.disguise
Those things are slow, the Si you raced would smoke it. Swaps are expensive and it will take some $$$ for him to hang with you car on nitrous.
That's what I wanted to hear . So he'll basically have to run full boltons and some nitrous to even have a chance...good to know.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

my friend had a 2003 1.8T GTI with a bunch of goodies before he bought his 2003 mach 1

he was pushing 20PSI and spiking 23PSI on his stock K03s with a 3" downpipe, catback, CAI, and dyno tune to support his boost

for sh*ts and giggles back when i first bought my 2005 Lincoln LS I brought it to that side of the state to race a few people for the hell of it

when it came time to race his GTI from a stop I put about 5 cars lengths on him up to 100MPH, apparently he was saying "I don't like this at all" during the race according to his passenger

then we raced from a 40MPH roll... he brake boosted and hopped off a full car/car and a half on me right off the bat and then by about 120MPH I walked up to his door and then we both let off

mind you this was in a bone stock Lincoln with a passenger xD

I will say it was a really fun car to drive though, the sound the car made from inside the car was pretty neat as well

he would need an aftermarket turbo and upgraded fuel system with some pretty sticky tires up front to even hope to hang with your car from a stop.. even with you all motor he should lose, because I really don't see the stock K03s snail pushing enough hot air to take you either from a stop OR roll

Last edited by Morbid Intentions; 02-14-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:01 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

He'll need full bolt-ons/cooling mods and a turbo swap to do much. Stock, they feel torquey due to the small stock turbo, but there's not much to them. I hear KO4s work nicely on them. I wouldn't know where to begin modding one to keep up with you on a 100 shot.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:55 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

So he just drove by my house to show it off. Even though I haven't been to the track, I definitely have the driver mod. It's his first manual car. He'll improve a little though. He mentioned that he'll do a new intercooler, exhaust, some shot of nitrous because he knows that's what I'll be adding. I didn't hear anything about a tune or a turbo swap. He seems pretty confident that he'll whoop my *** lol. He just doesn't have any idea of how badly he'll lose. I'll go all motor first, then a second time with my 100 shot! Vids will be available for posterity!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:34 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Yea even without your shot, you'll get him. I raced one of those before...not very fast.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:57 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Little motors need big turbos to go fast.

Quick Reply: 2001 Gti