The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Coming home

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I watched a Top Gear episode comparing the Z06 to some Ferrari. After all the numbers were in, it was asked why would anyway spend twice as much on the Ferrari. The answer, because you can live with the Ferrari. They said the "Zed" 06 was too raw and unrefined, cheaply made, etc. Still, regardless of how it's made...it's hard to beat that kind of stock performance for the price, IMHO.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:13 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
I watched a Top Gear episode comparing the Z06 to some Ferrari. After all the numbers were in, it was asked why would anyway spend twice as much on the Ferrari. The answer, because you can live with the Ferrari. They said the "Zed" 06 was too raw and unrefined, cheaply made, etc. Still, regardless of how it's made...it's hard to beat that kind of stock performance for the price, IMHO.
There is a fair amount of plastic in the interior, but for what it's worth, these are the best interiors yet for a Corvette. And they got even nicer after my year. I find the seats comfortable, but in a track situation they are weak. You need something that holds you in better. As far as raw, the car is really tame in full nanny mode. And even in competition mode, it still retains that yaw control so if your *** end gets squirrely it reigns it in. But if you turn everything off and push the car hard, you better be an experienced and trained driver. It is extremely hard to drive the car to it's full ability.

For a 2 seat supercar, it is the best bang for your buck. And the reason I opted for a Mustang is that for a muscle car, it is the best bang for your buck. I can say I owner 2 phenomenal cars.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:52 PM
perfect.disguise
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BicketyBam

I will miss this for sure:

http://youtu.be/zHq9HcShnhg
Don't worry. A little money and that will be easy to match. No offense but I would have thought it would be a little quicker.
Did you post what color/options your going with on it?

Last edited by perfect.disguise; 05-20-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:53 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by perfect.disguise
Don't worry. A little money and that will be easy to match. No offense but I would have thought it would be a little quicker.
Did you post what color/options your going with on it?
None taken. Stock runflats with an intake and a tune - never been to a track before and peeled off the time in my sig. Not sure you can ask for much more. Oh, and it had a 100,000 5 year warranty.

Considering a bone stock C6 Z06 has been driven to basically a hair under an 11 flat, how much "little money" would I need to do that? Just curious. Can you do that with bolt ons?

I ordered a GT premium with the Track Package, Comfort Package and the Electronics Package in DIB with the stone leather interior.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:59 PM
perfect.disguise
5th Gear Member

Yes, bolt-on a procharger too it. haha
I wasn't going by what others have run, just what I saw in the vid.
I would have had a hard time keeping it that close to stock, but I'm sure it's pretty expensive to mod.

Sounds like you ordered a nice car though.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

To break into the 10s with a 5.0...I would think it would take a blower or some nitrous? Assuming you keep it at full weight, which I know you will.

High 11s are pretty easy to get out of them with a few bolt ons, tune, and maybe a DR (less you're good enough to to do it on street tires)..
Old 05-20-2012, 08:41 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

Yes, bolt-on a procharger too it. haha
I wasn't going by what others have run, just what I saw in the vid.
I would have had a hard time keeping it that close to stock, but I'm sure it's pretty expensive to mod.

Sounds like you ordered a nice car though.
Thanks.

When you buy a $75,000 car that is already that fast, you think twice about voiding a 5 year/100k mile warranty. No offense, but this isn't an 8 year old skittle where it's not the end of the world if you cook the engine.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:18 PM
perfect.disguise
5th Gear Member

Thanks.

When you buy a $75,000 car that is already that fast, you think twice about voiding a 5 year/100k mile warranty. No offense, but this isn't an 8 year old skittle where it's not the end of the world if you cook the engine.
I'd hate to spend 75K and be so scared of it needing warranty work to add a few more bolt-ons.
Seriously though, GM sees a PCM calibration other than stock the powertrain warranty is "suppose" to be shot anyways.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:46 AM
The Stig
4th Gear Member

I am very surprised by one thing. I honestly thought that the difference between 420 hp and 505 hp would not be as HUGE as it was when driving the two vehicles. I do have an intake and a tune on the Z06, but I can say that there is no scenario where a 2013 Mustang could hang with a Z06. My Z would pummel the Mustang. Unless there is some sort of computer controlled restrictor on the Mustang I test drove, these two cars aren't even in the same zip code. And that is not a knock on the Mustang. It's over $30,000 less than a Z06. I was just expecting a little more.
Oh man, you are breaking Mirishi's heart right now... I anxiously awaiting his reply about how the a 5.0 with intake & tune will hang with a C6Z after you adjust for DA.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:27 AM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

I'd hate to spend 75K and be so scared of it needing warranty work to add a few more bolt-ons.
Because a car capable of running an 11 flat straight from the factory needs bolt ons

Originally Posted by The Stig
Oh man, you are breaking Mirishi's heart right now... I anxiously awaiting his reply about how the a 5.0 with intake & tune will hang with a C6Z after you adjust for DA.
I guess it depends on how you define "hang with". Stock C6 Z06's dyno around 460 rwhp. The car weighs 3200 lbs and has the aerodynamics of a missile. A 5.0 with an intake and a tune dyno's what? 385 rwhp? Curb weight is what? 3600 pounds? It's simple math, really. When I went to the track with my Z06, there was another guy there with one and all he had was drag radials. He ran low 11's all day long with traps around 125-128.

I am sure you could set up a new 5.0 to run with a stock Z06 in the 1320, but it will take more than a CAI and a tune, assuming equal drivers. And on the highway, forget it. On one of my runs I picked up 29.7 mph from the 1/8 to the traps in 4 seconds time. I know it doesn't look so fast in the vid, but from a 60 mph roll in 2nd gear to 130, I think it would decimate a 5.0 with an intake and a tune.

Now please stop reminding me of what I am giving up :lol:

Last edited by Stkjock; 05-22-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Coming home