The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Coming home

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 11:13 AM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

Default Coming home

Just wanted to let the people that remember me know that I am ordering a 2013 GT this afternoon. Unfortunately, this means I am waving goodbye to my 2007 Z06. I wrestled with the decision for a few days and the bottom line is this: The Z06 is 5 years old and out of warranty. I still owe money on it. It has 2 seats, which is inconvenient at times. The NAV/Audio system blows. I can get a fully loaded GT Premium with the track package for the trade in value of my Z, give or take a few grand. For less money per month I get a brand new car. I love Mustangs.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE my Z06. And it is hands down the fastest, best performing car I have ever driven and owned. For those of you that don't know me, I went to a track rental with STJ and in my very first pass EVER at a drag strip I ran an 11.7x. I will miss the raw highway power of the Z. Never had someone pull me on the highway. Car is a monster up top. But with two kids closing in on college, I do not want to drop the coin on a new one. There will be another time for that

So in 5-8 weeks I will be the proud owner of a 2013 Mustang. And you will being seeing much more of me. I am coming home (will be my 3rd Mustang). And to keep this street/strip related, I raced a <insert model of care here> from 60 - 150 and raped it.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:18 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Hey welcome back, I was just talking about you in a thread a month or so ago.

It's okay to admit it, you are on a mustang forum...

the 5.0 is the best vehicle ever made!!!111!!!one!1

even better than a c6z06

I'm sure you'll enjoy the new car, you might miss the speed/power of the z06, a few mods will get you somewhat close (even full bolt-ons wont match your trap with the c6z06 though). The interior is nice on the 5.0 I think. and some of the new features are pretty cool. The shaker 500 is very good for a standard factory sound system, the optional being the shaker 1000.

So do you know what options you'll get now? I'd recommend the automatic.. impressive times and holding tons of power from what i've seen, but i'm more of a fan of an auto than a manual because I hate to lose or get a bad time because I screw up my shifting.

also.. put a blower on the 5.0 and go destroy some c6z06s

so far I still haven't gotten a real race in with my 5.0 on the street. at the strip i went 12.6@112, a whippled terminator went 11.6@119 same day/time.. so i guess i got smoked by a whipple s/c termi though we never lined up (Remember this is 4000' elevation, so those are good times, not many street cars run that fast around here)

Last edited by Mishri; 05-18-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:31 AM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

GT Premium with the 400 equipment group (base)
Manual Transmission (I'd never own an auto in a muscle car - that's just me)
Track Package
Comfort Package
Electronics Package
Deep Impact Blue
Stone interior

That's it. I am at an age where I want all the electronic gee wiz gadgets. And to me, the track package is a no brainer...Bembo brakes, 3.73 Torsen rear, oil cooler, upgraded radiator. Unfortunately, dealers do not stock them with it. Fools!

I have to read up on mods. I will go for a cat back just for the upgraded sound, but if a full exhaust makes a difference (long tube headers, x pipe, cat back) I will go that route.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

tune, cai, and o/r X will be your best bang for the buck, should be able to get it all for $800-$850 and should put you around 415whp. I like Bama tunes because they offer a warranty against #8 piston failure, but that issue might be eliminated in the 2013 models with the engine changes they supposedly made.

The boss intake manifold does help, some people with those mods plus that have dynoed up to around 425-430whp because it keeps building power past 6000rpm where the stock manifold drops like a rock, but you have to be good/fast/precise with your shifts to make the most use out of it because you also lose some downlow power. So many manual owners actually ran slower times at the 1/4 with it. I'm assuming it comes down to shifting it at 7300rpm like you need to is difficult.

my options were
Premium 400A
auto
comfort package -LOVE the heated seats
exterior accent package (louvers, side scoups, and rear thingie)
Kona Blue (I think deep impact blue looks better from pics i've seen)
black interior.

Last edited by Mishri; 05-18-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

The only electronic gadgetry I miss in mine is the sync stuff. Works nice in my wife's focus and I wish my 06 had it. I could go aftermarket for it but meh..

The brembos are cool but you can't fit a 15" wheel on there from what I've seen so a lot of owners are putting 15" in the back and a 17" wheel up front instead. Frankly I think it looks like trash. But if it's just out on the track I guess I could live with that.

Congrats on the car, though I think you will miss the Z. Even an old C5Z has the edge on a 5.0 mod for mod.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:25 PM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Congrats on your upgrade (downgrade?)... LOL I understand why you are going the route you are though. Welcome Home (I don't belong here... can I still claim it?) haha
Old 05-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I completely undestand the swap. Congrats on getting a new favoh! Drop an LS1 in that thing and you'll be golden
Old 05-18-2012, 02:49 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Welcome back, there's always time to get back in a vette some where down the line.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:01 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

I just test drove a '13MY with whatever the stock rear end gear ratio is. The torque difference from my Z06 is massive. It's going to take getting used to. I am sure the 3.73's will help. I love the shifter - short throws and super tight. A+ for that. The dealer just flipped me the keys and a plate, so I was able to thoroughly "test drive" it. Launched it and chirped them into 3rd. If I were coming from any other car I would probably be blown away. Unfortunately, it was a bit underwhelming. Car handled great. I threw it into some tight corners and it hugged the road very well for a solid rear. Exhaust note is great, but not loud enough. That will be the first upgrade, without a doubt. What is the exhaust of choice for a deep rumble? I had a magnaflow on my 2000 and it sounded awesome.

Dealer doesn't want to inventory my Z06, so he is trying to get someone to buy it. He called his Chevy dealership and they offered 32k...for a mint 2007 Z06 with 46k miles. I politely told him to get f*cked. He is going to go out to his wholesalers and see what he can do. Deal is on hold right now. I could sell it privately, but I don't want the headache. Stay tuned.....
Old 05-18-2012, 03:06 PM
perfect.disguise
5th Gear Member

How much is trade/PP on your Z?

Quick Reply: Coming home