The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Engine builders input

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 02:15 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default Engine builders input

What's a good sturdy motor to build up CHEAP on a very tight budget and can be made fast with nitrous?

I don't plan on doing anything other than a custom tune & cold air intake on my '13 AWD RT Charger.

I want to eventually run mid 10's in a built motor/nitrous set up. Doesn't have to be pretty on the outside since I am gonna sand it all down and primer it. Slicks, skinnies, the whole nine yards. Track only car...
Old 09-05-2013, 06:24 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Define cheap and what platform is it going in?
Old 09-05-2013, 02:57 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Not more than $5k for the entire set up. I am thinking of an early fox body, auto trans type build. I'll do all the work myself other than internal transmission work. Gonna be tough, I know, with the stock slush box I heard was crap. Most of the money on the motor and nitrous/fuel set up. Suspension and tires, then the trans. Long term project.. no rush. My son still needs about $40K in college money for me to help him out with lol

I figure, if I can get the motor set up all nice, I can possibly work on the auto trans next. Or I can just spend all the money on the motor first, get a chassis later..
Old 09-05-2013, 05:07 PM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

Fox body, C-4 trans, gear, and a good nitrous system. I had a 89 LX with a stock block and old school edelbrock heads, cobra intake and NOS plate system (between upper and lower intake). With minimal suspension mods it ran 6.70s in the 1/8th on a 250 shot. Just gave it plenty of fuel and octane. Pretty basic, but effective setup. With the C4 I would spray it off the line, MAN that thing was fun. Low 1.40 60fts.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

A conversion might be an option if you can do a little welding. A GM LQ9/4, stalled 4l80 trans (or a cheap TH350), a decent cam, and a 100 shot would put a Fox with some weight reduction well into a some 10s. You can snag a used LQ9 for a few hundred bucks all day. Built TH350s are a dime a dozen.

BB has a pretty stout 5.0 build too, he can probably throw some good advice your way.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:26 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

There is no such thing as cheap if you wanna go 10 second fast. But My personal preference is either a Fox or sn95 with a 5.0 or a LS1 F body. Both will hit high-mid 10s on a 150 shot after all the other things have been addressed. Engine, Suspension, Weight reduction, etc. Nice thing is they will both do it on the stock bottom end.

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 09-06-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:41 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

+1^

I agree with Blue, but I think a 5.0 Fox will always be a tenth quicker than other comparable combos lol.

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 09-06-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

so you don't have a roller yet?

are you buying something to use the stock motor out of or a roller and building a motor for it?
Old 09-06-2013, 10:33 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT500Steve
Fox body, C-4 trans, gear, and a good nitrous system. I had a 89 LX with a stock block and old school edelbrock heads, cobra intake and NOS plate system (between upper and lower intake). With minimal suspension mods it ran 6.70s in the 1/8th on a 250 shot. Just gave it plenty of fuel and octane. Pretty basic, but effective setup. With the C4 I would spray it off the line, MAN that thing was fun. Low 1.40 60fts.
Hell yeah.. sounds like a blast

Exactly what I am looking to build.. something clean and mean.

250 shot on a stock block though!?!?!??!!?

Originally Posted by Stone629
A conversion might be an option if you can do a little welding. A GM LQ9/4, stalled 4l80 trans (or a cheap TH350), a decent cam, and a 100 shot would put a Fox with some weight reduction well into a some 10s. You can snag a used LQ9 for a few hundred bucks all day. Built TH350s are a dime a dozen.

BB has a pretty stout 5.0 build too, he can probably throw some good advice your way.
Not trying to do too much custom work really. I just want a clean motor, nitrous, tires, and enough suspension work to keep me from hitting the walls lol

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
There is no such thing as cheap if you wanna go 10 second fast. But My personal preference is either a Fox or sn95 with a 5.0 or a LS1 F body. Both will hit high-mid 10s on a 150 shot after all the other things have been addressed. Engine, Suspension, Weight reduction, etc. Nice thing is they will both do it on the stock bottom end.
Ditto, may be a pipe dream for $5k, but that's expendable (to a point). I really want a fox body and 5.0 with a fat nitrous set up. I know it'll be hard to find locally but I hear some of those years are forged from the factory but the block being the weakest link. I seen one last year at the dealership in the wholesale lot I work at, but someone already snagged it. It was pretty sweet and already painted Matte black!

LS1's seem pricy to me though, so does the SN95 only because they are a little newer than the older 5.0's and a lot of people still want them.

Considering I spent about $8K on my 09 to run low-mid 12's, the 5.0 had better at least see low 11's lol

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
+1^

I agree with Blue, but I think a 5.0 Fox will always be a tenth quicker than other comparable combos lol.
Fox body's are on the top of the list

Originally Posted by Stkjock
so you don't have a roller yet?

are you buying something to use the stock motor out of or a roller and building a motor for it?
I don't have anything yet other than hopes and dreams

I plan on just a short block and building up the rotating assembly.. that's pretty much it until I can get a roller.

At my budget, that's the only thing possible right now.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:20 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

From all the research I've done the 5.0 block is good til 550WHP. I guestimate I'm making about 475. Even thats a 10 second car.

Quick Reply: Engine builders input