Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

Why a "custom" tune?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 02:59 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Default Why a "custom" tune?

I've used an Edge EVO Tuner on both a '08 4.6L Mustang & a 2012 F150 Ecoboost & they both worked well with zero problems. I'm not interested in getting the very last drop of power out of the engine. I'm more interested in a reliable, safe tuner where I can return to the stock tune if I take it to Ford for engine work.

Why would a guy want a "custom" tune on a 2015 5.0L as opposed to a tune like the Edge EVO hand tuner or those other manufacturers produce for all 5.0L engines?

Any recommendations on tuners?
Old 12-04-2014, 08:28 AM
wardNM05

i work here at kurgan motorsports and id be more then happy to talk to you about tuning number is below in my signature
Old 12-04-2014, 03:50 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

IMHO there are many reasons to get a custom tune vs a canned tune.

The canned tune is exactly what you said it was, a tune for all 5.0 2015 mustangs. It is setup like the factory tune in that it has to be ready for anything and anyone driving it.

A semi-custom tune is setup for you and how you drive, these are the emailed tunes after a conversation with the tuner about you and your car.

A full custom tune is done on a dyno or the street, it looks at how the engine is actually performing, and how you drive it and where.

The full custom tune can have the most hp, if that is what you want, or it can be setup to be very reliable and still have better performance than your factory tune.

Also talking to a tuner helps, all this is info I have learned by doing just that. Each tuner is going to be different, but in theory they can all make the same tune and have the same performance, it just depends on their style and preferences.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:24 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

As mentioned, custom tunes can be more personalized to your driving style, but they are also a necessity once you start modifying your vehicle.
Additions like Cold Air intakes, headers, cam swaps, etc, all require a custom tune to recalibrate the PCM to work with the new airflow model created by the changes under the hood.

In your case, I think a good canned tune would work well. I do think there would be quite an improvement going to a canned tune like the one we offer over the one you are currently using, and the device supports custom tuning should you have the urge in the future

Thanks
Old 12-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
As mentioned, custom tunes can be more personalized to your driving style, but they are also
Additions like Cold Air intakes, headers, cam swaps, etc, all require a custom tune to recalibrate the PCM to work with the new airflow model created by the changes under the hood.

In your case, I think a good canned tune would work well. I do think there would be quite an improvement going to a canned tune like the one we offer over the one you are currently using, and the device supports custom tuning should you have the urge in the future

Thanks
Thanx, & there is the answer, that is, "a necessity once you start modifying your vehicle." I've used "canned" tunes with added CAI's on quite a few vehicles & not been aware of any problems. I certainly get it with other modifications like cams, etc.

Do you think "adding ONLY a CAI to a 5.0L Mustang engine requires a custom tune or do your canned tunes work just fine with a good quality CAI????

Last edited by Mr. D; 12-05-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:32 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

It depends on the CAI, some have an insert to make the MAF read the same, but you won't get the entire capability out of that type of setup.
Others will need a tune no matter what because the cross section near the MAF is different than stock, that changes the amount of air that the MAF reads for any given situation.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:59 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ticopowell
It depends on the CAI, some have an insert to make the MAF read the same, but you won't get the entire capability out of that type of setup.
Others will need a tune no matter what because the cross section near the MAF is different than stock, that changes the amount of air that the MAF reads for any given situation.
A Roush supercharger combined with a Roush CAI requires a different tune from Roush than supercharger alone.

Do any canned tuners come packaged with a "good" CAI & a matching tune designed for that CAI? I prefer a hand held unit that I can go back to factory tune when desired like the Edge EVO.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:59 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

My SCT does, I am not sure which ones because I don't have it with me at the moment, but I think it has Airaid, JLT, and one or two others.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:45 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ticopowell
My SCT does, I am not sure which ones because I don't have it with me at the moment, but I think it has Airaid, JLT, and one or two others.
Thanx for the response!
Old 12-10-2014, 10:02 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mr. D
A Roush supercharger combined with a Roush CAI requires a different tune from Roush than supercharger alone.

Do any canned tuners come packaged with a "good" CAI & a matching tune designed for that CAI? I prefer a hand held unit that I can go back to factory tune when desired like the Edge EVO.
Yes, we offer thoroughly developed canned tunes for several CAIs in our devices for your 08 GT including JLT, Airaid, K&N, FRPP, Steeda, and one or two others.

You can go back to stock or reload the tunes at any time.

Thanks