V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters
Old 10-27-2015, 11:15 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Full Throttle - 99-04 throttle cable adjustment/fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 12:23 AM
2001 mustang v6
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Full Throttle - 99-04 throttle cable adjustment/fix

wait just figured it out ignore my post
Old 05-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Danbert
1st Gear Member

So the question is, is this mod worth doing? Does it help the response of the car any? Is there a chance of damaging the throttle cable? I am planning a road trip to Canada in 2 weeks and I dont want to chance ending up stranded alongside the freeway with a broken accelerator.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:41 PM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Danbert

So the question is, is this mod worth doing? Does it help the response of the car any? Is there a chance of damaging the throttle cable? I am planning a road trip to Canada in 2 weeks and I dont want to chance ending up stranded alongside the freeway with a broken accelerator.
Ditto...except for the Canada part...lol
Old 05-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Grinder

The mod raises you gas pedal and will allow your TB to open all the way(if it doesn't already). To check, have someone depress your gas pedal all the way and see if you can manually turn the cam on your TB any farther. My '01 had about 1/16" play, which doesn't matter to me since, I'm not a racer. It doesn't add throttle responce. After the mod, your gas pedal won't go all the way to the floor when you're running wide open. If you're careful, you shouldn't have a problem with braking the cable. Don't force your pedal (common sence). I put in an 1 1/4" spacer and the pedal feels a little high, when I'm cruising in town. I'll probably try a shorter spacer.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:11 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

has anyone done a pre and post mod dyno to see if there is more power from the mod or not? I would think that if you could open your tb more, there should be more power to be had? I am hoping (in vain probably) that my dyno numbers will pick up to where i think they should be. I have to get a header leak fixed, so i will dyno it after that and do the mod then dyno again. After i am done holding my breath i will post.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:14 PM
djdalfaro
2nd Gear Member

I can't see how doin this would make more power. I mean you're not really changing anything except being able to achieve WOT, and moving your pedal up.

~Alf
Old 05-03-2006, 09:17 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

ORIGINAL: djdalfaro

I can't see how doin this would make more power. I mean you're not really changing anything except being able to achieve WOT, and moving your pedal up.

~Alf
you don't see how that would help to make more power? I'm not so sure that I didn't get WOT before, but I'm certain now. having the gas pedal 1.5 inches below the brake sucks.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:00 PM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

~Alf
Ok, Try getting to 40 with barely any throttle, then try it at WOT.
Anyway I did the mod just cause the pedal always on the floor was annoying now its right next to the brake pedal, also it takes less force to accelerate now, which I didnt see coming
Old 05-04-2006, 10:59 AM
Danbert
1st Gear Member

Just to play racers advocate, If I can achieve WOT with out the mod, I would leave it as is. First, I am 6'6", any extra leg room is an advantage. Now lets look at it from another angle. Every one says that they hate having to move their foot to go from gas to brake. What about the other way around? Who has to move their foot farther when taking off? the guy whos gas pedal is low? or the guy who moved it out?
On a side note, Most people I know, when racing, do not rest their foot completely on the floor. It is a light touch to teh floor to fight tiring your leg out, but for the most part, there is an actual leg movement when transitioning from gas to brake and back.
Try this, sit at your desk, tap your foot left and right with out moving your leg see how fast you can do it. Then try the same movement except use your leg. Maybe it is easier for me because I play drums but it feels more natural using your leg than just your foot.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:07 PM
djdalfaro
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

~Alf
you don't see how that would help to make more power? I'm not so sure that I didn't get WOT before, but I'm certain now. having the gas pedal 1.5 inches below the brake sucks.
What I meant was... and if I'm wrong, then explain it to me, but you are still producing the same horsepower at the same rpms yes? or no? I don't know. I'm not a mechanic, but I did this one the other day... I love it... it's great, I had a little scare, thought I might have to buy a new throttle cable, but it worked out in the end. Oh yeah... and get this... there is some dumba$$ on here who thinks I'm actually the girl in my avatar... I'm wondering if I should fuc* with him for a bit. What do you guys think?

~Alf

Quick Reply: Full Throttle - 99-04 throttle cable adjustment/fix