V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

awful scratching noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 02:56 PM
warheed

Default awful scratching noise

I have done alot of research on the forums about this problem.. And none of them give me an answer for exactly the problem I'm having.. This god awful scratching sound is coming from the front right section of my car.. I have had the rotors/calipers/pads all replaced and it still does it.. When I am driving at about 20 and deaccelarating it gets godawfully loud.. and even when i stamp on the gas pedal it still makes the sound, so this almost leads me to believe it might be suspension or an axel problem. Also.. when I'm on the highway at about 60 and go over a bump, it will scratch at me at the peak of the bump, but when i'm driving smooth, no acceleration, no deacceleration, it makes no sound at all.. I'm gonna have to pay for a mechanic to look at it if I can't get it fixed soon..
Old 01-29-2007, 03:01 PM
Reikat
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: awful scratching noise

hmmm... What I think it could be is the shocks and or struts are worn and scrape when the botton out. and when you press on the breaks the front end goes down bottoming them out. and fast excelleration puts the rear end down. and obviously the bump. I would try replacing the springs and the shocks and struts.(it can't hurt if it doesn't solve the problem, and if it does it will be great) I say it might be this because my friend whent over a speed bump at 50 mph and now when ever he hits a slight bump his suspesion bottoms out. it's not a pretty sound.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Check the splash sheild behind the rotor, the tech who did the brakes might have missed it, especially if its just touching the rotor.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:38 PM
Reikat
2nd Gear Member

I think it would always happen if it was something like that... it's something cercumstantial (sp?)
Old 01-29-2007, 10:40 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Not really, as speed increases it can push the shield away from the rotor until you slow back down, its easy to check, just turn the wheel all the way out and look at the back.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Brianzeke007
2nd Gear Member

Im not a mechanic but it might be a rabid racoon....like stuck in engine...most likely hungry and when you hit high speeds the wheel scrapes his *** causing him to flip a hoot
Old 01-30-2007, 12:40 AM
Brianzeke007
2nd Gear Member

nah im kidding i would check the axel
Old 01-30-2007, 01:53 PM
warheed

^ haha.. Thanks for the tips guys.. I suppose a complete new front end tweaking is necessary. It's not the splash shield, that's of course one of the first things I checked :/. I hope to god it's not my axel..
Old 01-30-2007, 03:58 PM
gyea
3rd Gear Member

I havea similar problem but it comes from the back I cant tell which side but when im going over 60KMit makesa high pitch squeeling noise very annoying
Old 01-30-2007, 08:21 PM
00raging stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Brianzeke007

Im not a mechanic but it might be a rabid racoon....like stuck in engine...most likely hungry and when you hit high speeds the wheel scrapes his *** causing him to flip a hoot
thats my best guess

Quick Reply: awful scratching noise