V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Looking to build sleeper. Most important mods??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 07:41 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Looking to build sleeper. Most important mods??

I'm gonna go against the grain for you.
If you are trying for a 'sleeper' - keep the single exhaust. You'll have to run it as a full length 3" though. To back up my point on a single exhaust being fine if you do it right, the fastest 1/4 V6 Mustang in the world right now runs a single pipe - so it must work.
As for corner carving, a V6 can clean up a V8 if buitl right. Working with in a budget, I'd look at a roots supercharger. From years of racing that type of track, the roots blower is the best power adder for your application. I highly suggest the Super Coupe M90 for you. Fairly chaep, fairly easy to install, GREAT low end torque. For the suspension and wheels, you'll have to match your driving style. Practice Practice Practice! Start with a good performance street tire on a 17" wheel. Don't get all xrazy with race tires and huge wheels. They are pointless at this point. Get a good set of springs, upgrade your shocks and struts, add a rear sway bar and run a whole season of Auto X with just that. enxt Summer, look into the new rear end upgrade, my 3.73 gears, subframes and control arms. Run a season that way. Don't make change after change without figuring out how to drive the current set up to the max. You'll be much better in the long run. A good driver in a stock car will run quicker than a poor driver in a highly modded car. Remember that.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Whitecomet25
2nd Gear Member

+1
Old 05-01-2007, 08:31 PM
deezelnut
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

Surely. Single exhaust is a lot of restriction for a car trying to make 300+ rwhp, not to mention 400, sure it's possible, because, hey, Skylines do it, but a Mustang is not a Skyline, and his car will work much better with true duals.

Also deezel, while we're on the topic, where the F are your pics. I thought you said you'd have them up in Jan, then again in March, here it is May, and still no pics, WTF gives man?
my leave got canveled in Jan. and i never said march. i said end of may/beginning of june. besides, i might get that M112 kit if it comes out soon. already got a buyer for the vortech if i do.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:39 PM
deezelnut
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: LilRoush

I'm gonna go against the grain for you.
If you are trying for a 'sleeper' - keep the single exhaust. You'll have to run it as a full length 3" though. To back up my point on a single exhaust being fine if you do it right, the fastest 1/4 V6 Mustang in the world right now runs a single pipe - so it must work.
As for corner carving, a V6 can clean up a V8 if buitl right. Working with in a budget, I'd look at a roots supercharger. From years of racing that type of track, the roots blower is the best power adder for your application. I highly suggest the Super Coupe M90 for you. Fairly chaep, fairly easy to install, GREAT low end torque. For the suspension and wheels, you'll have to match your driving style. Practice Practice Practice! Start with a good performance street tire on a 17" wheel. Don't get all xrazy with race tires and huge wheels. They are pointless at this point. Get a good set of springs, upgrade your shocks and struts, add a rear sway bar and run a whole season of Auto X with just that. enxt Summer, look into the new rear end upgrade, my 3.73 gears, subframes and control arms. Run a season that way. Don't make change after change without figuring out how to drive the current set up to the max. You'll be much better in the long run. A good driver in a stock car will run quicker than a poor driver in a highly modded car. Remember that.
isn't the kenny brown Stang a 4.2 sixer?

i second the huge wheels thing, but honestly i am getting something for racing that looks good at the same time. everyone has Bullitts, FR500s, or Cobra wheels and it is kinda gay.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:45 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Yes, Kenny Brown's green track car is a V6.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:27 PM
cobra232
5th Gear Member

one of the best things you can do is either a supercoupe setup or an ati procharger kit.

the supercoupe setup will give around 190-200rwhp and 300ftlbs of torque and alot of that torque from alittle above idle to redline. the procharger will give good midrange torque and most of the hp up near redline. 3.45 or 3.73 gears and a detroit truetrac and a kenny brown suspension or a steeda suspension setup for autocrossing.

that powerlevel with a great suspension and tires will make you really competitive in autocrossing.

17"x10.5" rear rims with 315-35-17's on the rear 275-40-17's on the front mounted on 17"x9" on the front Fulda Supremo tires are awsome for auto cross but not sure if they make 315's
Old 05-02-2007, 01:28 AM
furdriver

ORIGINAL: Adams_02GT

1st mod, take the LED's off.Good luck with the project.
[/align][/align]unless ur going for the ultimate rice trophy! haha, cant beleive u did that to a pony bro, id say if u want a sleeper u might want to think about trading ur v6 for a v8..... but if ur keeping the 6 and want to do autocross, i say lowering it and suspension to start[/align]
Old 12-07-2014, 10:55 PM
MrJakeSnake

Well you're probably not gonna get what you're looking for with that car. You can try to mod the **** out of it or whatever but it's not gonna produce the results you want, trust me I've tried. The best thing you can try is an engine swap, but if you're swapping in a 5.0 or whatever then you won't sound like a sleeper. You can try an ls engine swap but I've never seen that done on the f-body mustangs. Other than that, you can get a turbo for a few grand but it still wont't be that good. Sorry to break it to you but those cars were just not good at making power. Sell it and buy a fox body gt or a new s197 or newer.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:11 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Pretty sure this guy has either gotten rid of the car or figured out what to do with it, since this is a 7.5 yr old thread.

Also what's a f-body mustang?
Old 12-09-2014, 01:17 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

I've heard so many people confusing and interchanging the term f-body (Camaro) and fox body (Mustang) when talking about either or. Its grates at you even more when you own one of each.

Quick Reply: Looking to build sleeper. Most important mods??