V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Phenolic intake spacer

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 11:24 PM
Deepenough
2nd Gear Member

Default Phenolic intake spacer

Hey i was just wondering i found these somewher eon the web, they are placed between the upper and lower intake manifold, reduce heat to the upper intake manifold and something else about the short runners and long runners... i dont know?? There are dyno results to back it up too. its not a huge gain but its 7lbs or more and a little hp for 60 bucks... Oh and i did my rear seat delete the other day and took out the spare tire. Had a good race night tonight, my friends 04 accord coupe auto and my other friends 2004 330ci auto. The 330ci beat the accord... and i beat the 330ci to 100km./h by about a car length... ever since i got my rims and tires ive been getting much better traction. Ive got a CAI, iridium plugs, motoblue UDP and magnaflow dual catback exhaust for engine mods. I thought i did pretty well. But anyways still lookin for some more cheap mods like the phenolic intake spacer and doing my own P+P job. Im ordering a flash tuner as soon as i get the money... What you guys think about these intake spacers... they have dyno proven results... like40 of them... it must work right? For 60 bucks thats not a bad deal?
Old 07-18-2007, 11:34 PM
mooses
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Phenolic intake spacer

Yeah they're pretty good for the cost. Personally, I haven't noticed the upper intake being any cooler.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:35 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

some people sware by them..it gives u a noticeable low end gain some say..im getting one soon..get it!!!

and can u post the site up??

get the 3/8 spacer...not the 9/16..there is no diffference i dont think. or maybe they do the exact same? idk. most people have 3/8
Old 07-18-2007, 11:44 PM
Cmpfreak88
3rd Gear Member

I just put mine on about two weeks ago and I was actually surprised my butt dyno really did pick up on the low end torque! No noticeable difference in the top end, but it really does give you some more low end pull in the 2k-3k range in 2nd 3rd and even a little in 4th gear. Install was pretty simple and it was a pretty good bang/buck performance mod! This guy sells the kit with everything you need for a great price!

Veracity Auto Parts

And you can check out my CarDomain Page for my pics or send me a message if you got any questions.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:28 AM
Deepenough
2nd Gear Member

Hey thanks for the quick replies! That pretty much made up my mind for me aha. Im getting one n ill let you guys know how it goes. N i really need to post up my car picture on my thing every time i post... i donno how to do that all of you have those cool pictures with you mods underneath everytime you post aha
Old 07-19-2007, 01:04 AM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

Yes they are a good cheap mod. But you didn't beat a 330Ci to any mark with those mods...or they were just a sh*tty driver. Those cars run with GTs.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:04 AM
WhitePony02
3rd Gear Member

I may be able to make this in shop class come school time. Don't worry, we have CNC machines so its not me out there with a drill or whatever hacking up some metal. If I can make them I'll start producing them for you guys and make a little dough for some mods. I'm not going to f**k you over on the prices though, since metal is cheap (I may use that phenolic crap, whatever it is) I can produce it cheap and sell it to you guys for way less than the internet prices. That link above states one spacer at $90, I would sell it for probably $60 and I'm guessing its $5 in material so I make $55 and you save $30.

Let me know if you guys would be willing to do this, cause if I can make myself one, I'll definitely make you guys some.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:13 AM
Willem_Black
2nd Gear Member

I'd be interested, but it depends on the metal you use....once you decide let me know, $60 sounds like a great price.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:15 AM
Cmpfreak88
3rd Gear Member

Well, that guy with VAP is a member of 3.8 Mustangs, so I don't think he's really screwing anyone over. A quick Google search for G10 brings up this price list. A 3' x 4' sheet depending on thickness is between $50-$70 dollars, and you can probably make 2 spacers out of that, so about $30 in materials at least, not including time on the CNC or whatever else you may need to make that... I took it as a good price, plus he offered the kit with the bolts, gaskets, and everything needed for $30 more.

Edit: Oh Dang, I was looking at the wrong thickness... I was looking at .047"... the .437" is $500 a sheet! Maybe this is the wrong stuff! Dang thats expensive! Good luck making those for $60 bucks if that is the stuff though!
Old 07-19-2007, 02:23 AM
WhitePony02
3rd Gear Member

I'll ask my teacher, but using G10 seems pointless because 1. its expensive and 2. they don't make any of the intake out of G10 so regular metal should be fine.

And if its necessary to use G10, he can purchase it and it might even just charge the school. Last year in shop he didn't even charge anyone for their materials. I'll see, but since the CNC machines are free for me to use (there's two of them) and nobody ever uses them, I won't have to charge extra to get my money back for the CNC machine.

Quick Reply: Phenolic intake spacer