V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Starter, Alternator or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 02:50 AM
STANG_RAGE

Default Starter, Alternator or something else?

Hello, to everyone. I'm new to the forums and joined to learn more about my recently fully paid Mustang 1998 3.8. Back to my question, A recent problem has occured it started two weeks ago, I was in wal-mart and myI tried to start my car but it didnt, I tought it might had been my batterie since it was kind of old. I replaced for a new one and then it turned on, two days later samething happend, this time a Former Marine helped me out andI went to Autozone and bought a real battery. after a 200 mile trip back home,I parked my car and unpluged the battery. I tried to turn it on a day later it worked thenI tried to turn it on and it would not go,I noticed that after continious use andfrequent use over 3 days it dosen't start. Basically WhenI turn the keyI hear a noiseon the fron right side charge and then a click; I press clutch and turn it on, but after frequent use the charge noisedecresses. It takes longer and it sounds weak. I went to Autozone they said it was the starter, what do yall think. Appreciate all responses.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:36 AM
troy81
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Starter, Alternator or something else?

first check for shorts as that could be draining your battery, if not that i would guess alternator. i dont know why they would think it was the starter....
Old 04-01-2008, 12:24 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Have someone jump you off and let the car sit there and idle. Turn off everything but the engine, no a/c, no radio, don't roll down the windows, no headlights.

Look at you volts on the cluster, it should be in the middle if not about 1/8" higher

Turn on eveerything, headlights, radio, a/c and start rolling down the windows and see if the guage falls

If the guage starts falling then it's the alternator.

If the guage does nothing, let it sit there and idle for a while and then go out and check it, if the volts still didn't go down then you have some other issue.

Did Autozone actually hook anything up to your car or did they just tell you what the problem was?
Old 04-01-2008, 01:22 PM
STANG_RAGE

I looked for shortages andI cleaned the Battery wires they were full of corosion.

I forgot to out this on before, when wouldnt startI tried jumping my car and it wouldnt start eitherway. same battery as now.
The Auto Zone guy did not hook anything up, now before I start my car the gauge does drop a lil if I lower the windows, now I did what you said RyansQuick and I turned the car on and turnedeverything on (execpt the radio, i got broken into and donthave the money to buy a new one)the guagefell when i truned everything on by like 1/32 in but noticable.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:26 PM
troy81
2nd Gear Member

so when the problem is there does the starter turn over at all or does it do absolutely nothing... if it does nothing try tightening the starter wires, other wise it may be thestarter. if it just turns over slowly, its most likely not a starter, its something in your charging system
Old 04-01-2008, 01:32 PM
STANG_RAGE

well when it wouldnt turn on all i heard was a click and a turn like the starter was just starting but didnt have enough power to fully function.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:26 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Sounds like it may be ther starter solenoid or a wire issue. Check you main battery wires, if that's okay then have someone try to start the the car while the e-brake is up and it is jacked safely on jack-stands. When they turn the keey and it does nothing, whack the starter with a wrench a few times while they keep holding the key. If it works then, then it's time to get a new starter. You can also just take the sucker off and take it to auto zone and have them test it. You'll need a long extension and there is a hole in the front og the k-member that you use to access the top bolt of the starter, jsut make sure you disconnect the battery first.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:37 PM
STANG_RAGE

Allright, will do thanks for all the advice, quick question is a k&n a good investment, my replacable filter keep tearing with in a few days of purchase?and taking the silancer on the filter chamber a good idea? a real question I have put coolant on the car and then it sort of disapears but the car never overheats and the guages always show Normal, any idea what might be happening?
Old 04-01-2008, 02:50 PM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

Where did you get the car at? It sounds like you are having a lot of problems with it all of a sudden.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:58 PM
STANG_RAGE

I got it from someone who i used to work with events happend that we lost connection, he didnt care for the car, he had it in a garage andI learn from my experience, andI just think it was just not taken care of soconverted it to a project.

Quick Reply: Starter, Alternator or something else?