V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

HELP! In my 1998 Mustang V6 I accidentially...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 12:33 AM
Zachary V52

Default HELP! In my 1998 Mustang V6 I accidentially...

1998 sn95 V6 Mustang: I accidently switched my chip bezel to an empty tune. So, as I have before I just turned off the ignition and put it back to the original tune. Then started it back up. After driving down the road for about five miles and I smelled a strong smoke smell. My friend in the passenger seat point out that smoke was coming out from where my shifter(manual) was. I pulled out the shifter handle as I was driving and the cover and I recognized the white smoke was coming from around the shifter whole it self. I speeded up to pull over and then I seen with increasing speed came more smoke. I pulled over and let it rest for about five hours. I went back to make my way home but the smell came back so I stopped at a friends to get help from his father, a mechanic, he was watching Nascar and didn't care. So I got into my car to my car to leave and the motor started up but when from 1500 rpm to 500 rpm and shut OFF. I started it back up to reave it up to warm the motor but it started up to about 800 rpm and shut off again. Then it would just crack but NOT start. Finally I decided to leave at his house because I didn't have any other option. Now, he can't work on it and wants me to take my Mustang with out even listening to the problem. Does any one out there no these symptoms and what makes them occur. What should I fix/ what is wrong with it?
Old 02-07-2010, 01:11 AM
brent4
4th Gear Member

I'm under the influence of meds and this just mind fd me. You say the smoke is coming from the shifter bezel and it will not CRANK? When you were REVing it did you notice any sounds that would make you think the clutch seized?

Last edited by brent4; 02-07-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:12 AM
brent4
4th Gear Member

I think it could be a seized clutch hence the smoke. But you didn't say if you were driving when you changed the tune?

Last edited by brent4; 02-07-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:24 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Don't expect someone to work on your car randomly, especially a guy that makes a living at it. What does it matter if he was watching NASCAR? He isn't obligated to you in any way and you come into his house saying "My car is a turd, can you help me?" during one of the few times this man probably gets to just sit down and rest.

Yes it is in good nature to help someone but not everyone will and there is no point to get pissed about it.

I've however had random strangers come up to me and ask for my help, and I help as much as I can with the time that I know that I have.

Now.

Call a tow truck and take it to the dealership.

It doesn't seem like you have a great wealth of mechanical ability yet so dropping a trans to change your pilot and throw out bearings and possibly need to resurface you flywheel, inspect your pressure plate and put a new clutch disk in may not be the easiest "First Time" thing for you to try.

Don't get me wrong, we want you to learn how to do this but if this is your only car and you don't have a place to do the work yourself then your SOL for now.

If you do have a place to work on the car and you have another driver then by all means take it home and start learning, that's what a lot of us did to start.

Good luck.

-Eric-
Old 02-07-2010, 12:24 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

btw, what did the smoke smell like?

Did it have an odd buring brake smell to it or did it smell kinda wet and sooty with maybe a hint of sweetness to it?
Old 02-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Zachary V52

To respond to NeoTokyo. I would not go to a stranger or just my friends Dad and request help at that second. I have helped him since I was EIGHT years old almost everyday after school. So yea I think I deserve a little courtesy. I am not a demanding person and I just wanted to know what steps I should take but he was busy so I said, "ok, see you some other time" but when I got into my car to leave it stalled. I found out today that there was hardly any radiator fluid so I added water but I realized a leak from around the transmission. The smoke was coming from the shifter bezel too. The smell is more like plastic burning or something. I took my car home because they didn't have time but it is leaking real BAD. I still need some more advice please.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:18 PM
brent4
4th Gear Member

You've got a 98 with how many miles on it? Is the car overheating?
Old 02-07-2010, 06:38 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

So what were you doing to help him for the last 3000 days assuming that you are 16 now?

Fact is he is a Father and a working man, he will help you when he wants.

Sounds like you may have blown a coolant line going to your heater core. It happens and sometimes it doesnt matter about miles.

I had close to 30,000 miles on my 05' F150 5.4L FX4 when I blew a heater tube randomly.

I taped it up and got it to a parts store and replaced the tube.

It seems like you have someone to give you a ride so just look to see what blew and take it to the parts store and get another one.

Lets hope thats it and you hurt anything else.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Zachary V52

For the last 3,000 days I have helped rebuild his pool about three times, then pulled it out and cleared the back yard, built a horse field, mowed his yard, clean everything around his house, and numerous big projects for basically FREE! To many others to list. Just for your info. He did say it was probably the heater core. We are going to look at it today but thanks for the advice and the constructive criticism
Old 02-09-2010, 12:28 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Meh, I wasnt doing it to be rude just saying why you shouldnt expect him to help you instantly.

Though if I did all that for him I think I would be a little ticked too if he snubbed me like that, I would try to understand but still be ticked.

I have a heater core if you need one, its new but its an aftermarket unit. PM me if you need it.