V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

2000 Mustang v6 Roush Should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 08:13 PM
surffinn

Exclamation 2000 Mustang v6 Roush Should I buy?

Hi! I was wondering on some opinions on if i should buy this mustang or not. Its a 2000 mustang v6 3.8L 5 speed trans. The guy is selling it because the transmission went out on it. My friend knows the owner real well and it has a salvage title on it from a front-end collision. The trans went out after the car was repaired from the wreck. He is selling it for $1,500 as it sits. Let me know if its a good deal, the only thing making me maybe not wanna but it is the salvage title.

Thanks!!!

Also here's some pics of it!

Old 07-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Boost Logic
Banned

Personally id jump on it. I mean the rims and tires alone exceed the price.
Find another transmission from a junkyard and diy or take it to a shop
but still, looks pretty mint. I dont know why they give some cars salvage titles
when the damage isnt even that bad. You get a scratch on your bumper
and its declared garbage. Im not a mustang pro, but if that was local i'd start it
as my project no questions.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:55 PM
ayrton02
4th Gear Member

I would pass. He's done too much to it and turned it from Roush to borderline rice. Those wheels are hideous... the stock Roush ones are badass and hard to find (authentic Roush wheels). The grille looks stupid. And that front bumper is done... that's $500 for a bumper + $200 for paint. Then there's the ****ty tranny. I say skip it and move on. I paid $10k for my car 4 & 1/2 years ago. Now you can get new edge GTs in great shape or go to the darkside and get a LS1 for that price. If you want a good new edge v6 that isn't ragged to hell and back, prepare to pay $6k -$8k tops.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:10 PM
kman025
2nd Gear Member

buy it... if for nothing else than parting it out
Old 07-15-2010, 09:15 PM
surffinn

yeah i might, honestly i really think the clutch is shot thats all. i havent seen it personally tho, my friend took the pictures but its been sitting in his garage for about 3months tho and i can get the bumper at whole-seller price and the bumper painted for about $50. There was supposly welding on the very very very front right of the chassis far infront of the motor but it seems quality welded from what i heard.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:16 PM
ayrton02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boost Logic
For 1500.00$ can you really complain ? Invest 2 grand or so into it
and their you go. I guess if your really picky then the car would
come off as garbage to you, doesnt look riced out. No 10ft spolier
and 1000 stickers. Id do it.
First off, yes I am picky. It may be a pain in the *** to find the right car (girl, house, etc.) you desire, but in the long run, it'll be worth it. Don't settle for something when there are MUCH better v6 Mustangs out there... or even cars for that matter. Yeah it may be cheap, but he's gonna have to put money in it to get it looking/running decent again. From my experience, when you start out with something that has problems, you'll fix those problems and then even more **** will break. Just me... maybe I have bad luck or something. If I got a used car, I'd like it to be stock/close to stock or if it's modded, have documentation of the parts and who installed them.

Another thing, if you think this car is gonna be quick and sporty once you get the tranny fixed, your wrong. The 3.8 has great potential, but unless it's force induced, the GT is always gonna be faster. I say save your money and time for something better... new edge GTs (although not blazing fast) are at that point in time where you can get them cheap, but in great shape/relatively low miles. The same goes for the almighty 4th gen LS1s (will walk up and down supercharged v6s and bolt-on new edge GTs). I may not be correct, but at least I'm giving my honest opinion.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:18 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't. The cars been wrecked/salvage title/bad tranny..I'd give him $500 and tell him to keep the wheels. There could be a ton more wrong with it that you'll never know about until you spend cash on a tranny, then the moneypit begins in full swing. After all, there's a reason he's selling it for $1500.00

btw...You never did say how many miles are on it.

Last edited by MOOK3456; 07-15-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:22 PM
ayrton02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MOOK3456
I wouldn't. The cars been wrecked/salvage title/bad tranny..I'd give him $500 and tell him to keep the wheels. There could be a ton more wrong with it that you'll never know about until you spend cash on a tranny, then the moneypit begins in full swing.

btw...You never did say how many miles are on it.
My point exactly. Sometimes the truth isn't what you wanna hear.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:24 PM
surffinn

lol.. the car hasnt been modified in engine wise at all. everthing in the engine bay is bone stock. the only problem is i got only 3k to spend and i cant really afford to pay for something better. and i got the mechanic shop to do it all in.. right now im driving a big chevy 1500 sport 305 v8 5.0L and its eatting my lunch real fast lol. I dont wanna settle for a civic ricer tho. thanks for your opinions tho
Old 07-15-2010, 09:27 PM
surffinn

theres like 110k miles.. i forgot the exact milage cuz i lost my papaer with all the info on it. He's Selling it cuz he just bought a 2009 mustang

Quick Reply: 2000 Mustang v6 Roush Should I buy?