V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Rear end whine

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 12:12 PM
TurtleSLow
3rd Gear Member

it could be the ring and pinion still making the noise like he said, or one of the clearances is off by a small amount. im not exactly sure, i upgraded my whole rear end when mine went bad so i never had the stock ring and pinion back in

to answer question above, i would probably just re build the stock rear end with new gears and posi if your planning on having more power in the future, and if youre not planning on power in the future, just rebuild it. would be cheaper than getting an 8.8 + installation

Last edited by TurtleSLow; 10-19-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:48 PM
STANGdigitty

Originally Posted by STANGdigitty
My 2000 V6 Mustang has an annoying wine coming from the rear end that changes with the RPM's, worst around 45MPH.
Sorry to resurrect this thread back but after all this time I have just now solved this issue with my rear end whine. After I had my mechanic replace all my bearing and seals it still had the annoying whine, I was bummed but knew everything was new in there and just lived with the annoyance. He said its just probably the ring and pinion gears (the only thing not replaced) "not lined up perfect"

Anyhoooo, my pinion seal and axle seals started leaking, after much research and crazy shop estimates of up to $800, I tackled the job on my own....man I wish I did this 2 years ago, in hindsight it was a piece of cake! I pulled the axles and replaced the seals. I didn't have a dial meter to measure the backlash but shooting from the hip it felt about right. Then before I removed the pinion seal I discovered pinion preload was non existent.

In my research I found that not enough preload would cause this rear end whine. So I broke out the old in/lb torque wrench and set the preload to where it should be ( I put it at 20, holy crap that pinion nut takes a lot of heave ho to torque down!) buttoned it all back up and Bam! No more whine.

Oh BTW, check your vent lines when replacing seals, mine were airtight and probably is what caused my seals to blow.

Lessons learned
- Do this job on a lift with proper tools, if I tried this on jack stands it would have been a PITA.
- Don't be afraid to tackle a repair as long as you research how to do it.
- Unless shops specialize in rear end, most don't know what the hell they are talking about and usually charge way to much, then do it wrong ie. not setting preload, backlash etc.. correctly.

I did the job myself for about 30 dollars in parts, was almost ready to shell out $500-$800. Whew!

I hope this helps somebody like me someday looking at rear whine probs..

-Stangdigitty-
Old 09-24-2022, 10:03 AM
Stang4life1989

Default Kinda Having Same Issue

Originally Posted by STANGdigitty
Sorry to resurrect this thread back but after all this time I have just now solved this issue with my rear end whine. After I had my mechanic replace all my bearing and seals it still had the annoying whine, I was bummed but knew everything was new in there and just lived with the annoyance. He said its just probably the ring and pinion gears (the only thing not replaced) "not lined up perfect"

Anyhoooo, my pinion seal and axle seals started leaking, after much research and crazy shop estimates of up to $800, I tackled the job on my own....man I wish I did this 2 years ago, in hindsight it was a piece of cake! I pulled the axles and replaced the seals. I didn't have a dial meter to measure the backlash but shooting from the hip it felt about right. Then before I removed the pinion seal I discovered pinion preload was non existent.

In my research I found that not enough preload would cause this rear end whine. So I broke out the old in/lb
torque wrench and set the preload to where it should be ( I put it at 20, holy crap that pinion nut takes a lot of heave ho to torque down!) buttoned it all back up and Bam! No more whine.

Oh BTW, check your vent lines when replacing seals, mine were airtight and probably is what caused my seals to blow.

Lessons learned
- Do this job on a lift with proper tools, if I tried this on jack stands it would have been a PITA.
- Don't be afraid to tackle a repair as long as you research how to do it.
- Unless shops specialize in rear end, most don't know what the hell they are talking about and usually charge way to much, then do it wrong ie. not setting preload, backlash etc.. correctly.

I did the job myself for about 30 dollars in parts, was almost ready to shell out $500-$800. Whew!

I hope this helps somebody like me someday looking at rear whine probs..

-Stangdigitty-

***I just bought my brothers 04 mustang 3.9 v6 5 speed back from my mom. And she told me that sometimes it would make this loud screaming noise until you ran it through the gears. Then it would stop. Well a couple weeks ago it stopped all together. But now I am having pretty much the same issue as you. I mean I give my car hell all the time. And I mean apparently for last 8 months my mom had it the right control arm bushing at top has been completely gone. And I have read that can cause the issue or at least make things worse!!