V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

I have a hesitation in acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 12:11 AM
nolimit83

I wonder if my PCM is bad, because I was researching this problem and found a web forum about this model car and the person had the same problem. everyone asked him about plugs, about wires, about coils, about injectors, and all of the other things. then one person mentioned that it could be a faulty PCM, he replaced it and then it ran like a top. I think I have narrowed it down to either a bad PCM or bad connector and connector wiring. any objections?? really, let me know what you think.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:21 AM
Synyster06Gates
4th Gear Member

Again, if you haven't changed the manifold, do that first. Then check the o2 sensors again. THEN MAYBE, possibly, look into the ecu. Those are two very common codes that don't come up unless there is actually a problem. You'd probably have different codes if it were the ecu.

As for the misfire. Change your wires and if that does nothing, coil pack.

Last edited by Synyster06Gates; 09-25-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:33 AM
nolimit83

ok, but why is the number 6 injector not recieveing any signal. I hooked the niod light to the connection on the wire harness and got no flashy light. when I tried the others I got flashy light. even if I change the plug wires and/or the coil pack, would that do anything to the signal for number 6 injector? I know that these are the simplier and most cost effective things to do before changing the brain, but I guess I don't understand how it could change things. the only spot that the exhaust manifold could be leaking is at the EGR flange, other wise it's on the cat converter, but again I don't know why that would make number 6 not have signal to the injector.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:20 AM
JFordJr
1st Gear Member

I had this same problem! Cracked headers, chugging when I accelerated fast, fine when I accelerated slowly. My "Service Engine Soon" light was on, throwing "Misfire on Cylinder 1". My car had an awful tick, due to the headers. I fixed my issue. Here's how....

1. Replaced plugs with high end plugs.
Result: Nothing different...still chugged, still ticked

2. Replaced spark plug wires with MSD Wires
Result: Nothing different...still chugged, still ticked

3: Replaced headers with BBK Shorties Ceramic Coated(Sick looking FYI) (Side note, if you don't have true dual exhaust, or at least 2 pipes in the back on your v6, your car looks stupid to everyone else, no matter what mods you do. )
Result: Fixed tick!! Sounds deeper/louder in idle and revving! Still chugged on acceleration though...

4: Replaced Ignition Coil Pack with this Screamin' Demon Coil Pack http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...amon-Coil-Pack
Result: No chugging, No Ticking. Beautiful take off speeds that I have missed for about 9 months!!
Old 10-12-2010, 05:27 PM
nolimit83

right on, well sorry guys for not posting an update on my car. I have fixed my problem for the most part. I did have to change my pcm/ecm (computer). It didn't make any since why the pcm was sending a cylinder 4 misfire code when nothing was wrong with cylinder 4. cylinder 6 was nasty, it was getting spark, but no fuel, I used a noid light to test the injector wire plugs, and found that all BUT injector 6 had signal going to the injectors. I traced down wiring and searched through the harnes for bad wires, but found nothing. I talked to a guy from the plant that I work at, he was a pcm tech. He told me that 10 to 1 my pcm had a bad circuit inside the pcm, and there was no way I could repair it. So I replaced it with a remanufactured one and it works like it should.

The one thig I have not fixed yet, and I'm looking into getting it done soon is the exhaust leak. I still have a slight hesitation but nothing like it was. so synyster06gates, you are right about losing the power due to the leak, but it is not from the manifolds. it is the rest of the exhaust system. I went to muffler man here in South Haven, MI. and had them look at it and give me a price on repairing it, they told me that someone had welded a set of double cat converters to a bracket that connects to the headers and that the weld had a hole. they told me the best thing for me to do is replace the exhaust from the headers to the back. they said my headers looked new or newer they are not shiny by any means. so for now I have back pressure problem which causes a slight ( a lot less then before, slight) hesitation. well thanks everyone for you input I greatly appreciate it.