V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Convertible leaking issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 05:19 PM
terp12354

Default Convertible leaking issues

Hey everyone, thanks for reading. First off let me say I am a new poster so if this is in the wrong area or something I am sorry. I am having an issue with my 1998 v6 mustang convertible. We had bad rain yesterday and I noticed the floor behind the passenger seat was soaked. Not just a little wet, but soaked. The back seat behind the passenger was also damp. I took out the back seat and in the are below, the side behind the passenger had a pool of water while the side behind the driver was bone dry. I know there are drains in the sides somewhere to allow the convertibles to drain correctly and I was wondering if maybe mine on the passenger side was clogged? I didn't know if that's why the one side was soaked and the other was dry. Problem is, after removing the seats and the rear quarter panel that hold s the speaker, i could even find where the drain was. Could someone direct me to where it should be located so I can check for a clog? or if you have any other ideas as to why I am having this problem, I would really appreciate it. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 06-16-2011, 12:41 AM
herbivore1974

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM BUT, DIDN'T TAKE THE BACK SEAT OUT YET. Did you find a solution?
Old 06-17-2011, 09:37 AM
The grey beast
2nd Gear Member

you could be right about the drain of course, but it could also simply be that your top is leaking. wait till some more ppl comment becuz im of course not positive by any means, but if this is the case youll have ta get a new top
Old 06-21-2011, 04:34 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

You could try taking as much of the rear interior out as possible and then taking a hose and hosing down the top, then look to see if you can find the stream of water entering the interior. Good luck...
Old 10-16-2011, 05:25 PM
danielvieyra

Default leak back seat

exact same issue, anyone find a solution
I have water on the rear floorboard behind the driver seat of my 2003 mustang conv. I know the top is fine since I have tested thoroughly, I found that water is coming through these holes from a channel that travels from the back of the quarter rear window down and along the body of the car under the door. It fills with water and overflows to the floor. I cannot reach inside the channel to see if a drain is clogged and dont know if water should even be there. Not sure how to fix this, I am going nuts.
If anyone can help I would very thankful
Old 11-01-2011, 01:02 AM
mstng72

I have the same issue with an 04 convertible: rear floor pans fill with water every time it rains. From other posts I know that water is supposed to drain inside the rear quarter panel below the rear side windows through a channel and out a drain under the car. It sounds like my rear drains are plugged and they are somewhere under the car just in front of the rear wheels. So I guess the next step is to jack it up and crawl under to look for something that looks like it could be a drain and poke a wire in it.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:22 AM
danielvieyra

Default fixed leak

I fixed mine this weekend
Remove the rear quarter panel, the bolt holding the seat belt. Once thats out, remove the seat roll at the top. Then remove the speaker box thats help by 3 screws. Then I recomend removing the window rail guide and then you have room to reach down and clean the bottom of the quarter panels where dirt accumulates and clogs the drain.
That was my solution anyways after trying numerous things.
Good luck and let me know if help is needed. I am willing to assist
Old 11-02-2011, 10:30 AM
danielvieyra

Default fixed leak

just thought I would add
to remove the seat belt at the bottom you will need a torx 45 key. The top part are regular bolts
Also you can try from the bottom but it didnt work for me since you can see water come out but its hard to see where the drain is since there is part of the body kit skirt covering it, at least on my 03 its like that.
I recommend cleaning from the inside since you will prevent it from happening at least in the near future by cleaning it well
Old 11-03-2011, 04:15 PM
mstng72

I found the elusive plugged drains. There are four of them on each side along the inside bottom edge of the frame rail. They look like crimps in the folded sheet metal and are only big enough to shove a wire coat hanger up. About a litre of water drained from mine when I pushed the wire up.
They are easily visible and accessable by looking under the car and are in the 1" of metal that extends below the frame rail.....right at the inside edge of the plastic panel under the door. First one is just in front of rear wheel and then are roughly evenly spaced towards the front tire.
I have a picture but dont know how to attach it.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:55 PM
mstng72

Quick Reply: Convertible leaking issues