V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

I Don't Know What I Don't Know: Cam Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 09:19 AM
MistWolf

Default I Don't Know What I Don't Know: Cam Sensor

I have a 95 Mustang with a 3.8 HO dropped in it (so I am told) that we call "Li'l Rowdy" that I have been fighting with. Lost spark to a couple of cylinders and I'm stuck in Utah. Need to get back to Washington so I can be to work Monday.

We replaced the coil box, spark plugs, plug wires and cam sensor. Unfortunately, I don't know what I don't know and removed the bolt that hold the whole unit in place instead of just the two little that go through the top. I think this messed up the fuel timing as I turned it in the removal. It stills runs like crap. I feel like it's just some small detail I'm missing to get it right. Can anyone help me?

I don't have a manual, money is running low but I do have a friend with access to an online manual coming over to help. I could use some help with this. How is the fuel timing done? I believe a specialty tool is recommended, can anyone tell me what this tool is, what it looks like and what it does?

Thank you
Old 08-11-2011, 11:15 AM
MistWolf

Since I cannot edit my post, I'll have to post a clarification-
What I removed was the whole unit for the cam sensor. My main question is, how do I set the fuel timing? Or is this another case of "I don't know what I don't know"?
Old 08-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

You cannot set the timing of these cars first off. 2nd - I dont think there is a 3.8 HO. 3.8 is a 3.8; all the same motor. Was the motor replaced with a diffrent motor at some time? First thing that comes to my mind is a blown headgasket. It would cause the loss of spark in the cylinders and the motor to run like crap. Did the car overheat at all on you? Does the coolent look like a milkshake?

Matthew
Old 08-11-2011, 11:51 PM
MistWolf

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
You cannot set the timing of these cars first off. 2nd - I dont think there is a 3.8 HO. 3.8 is a 3.8; all the same motor. Was the motor replaced with a diffrent motor at some time? First thing that comes to my mind is a blown headgasket. It would cause the loss of spark in the cylinders and the motor to run like crap. Did the car overheat at all on you? Does the coolent look like a milkshake?

Matthew
Coolant is clean, no it hasn't over heated or run low on oil. Blown head gasket doesn't cause loss of spark, it causes loss of compression. The coil will still fire the spark plug regardless. I was told this isn't the original engine. Yes, the timing of the cam position sensor needs to be properly set. As it turns out, the computer uses the camshaft sensor to determine the firing of the fuel injectors at the appropriate valve timing.

Timing the cam position sensor requires a special tool (which I don't have, of course) but I found this-
http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/may2004/techtips.htm

It got me in the ballpark. After setting the timing of the cam position sensor, I was able to get it running good. Still isn't perfect, but most of the power is back
Old 08-12-2011, 04:59 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

You are suppose to mark where your cam sensor is possitioned before removal, its a hard lesson learned.

The cam tool can be picked up at AutoZone but it sounds like you already bought another.

More information to help you.

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/fo...or-synronizing
Old 08-12-2011, 08:19 AM
MistWolf

No, I haven't bought the special tool yet. I think it's pretty retarded the best reference the manual gives is "note position before removal". Is that how the guy assembling the engine at the factory does it? I think not
Old 08-12-2011, 09:01 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

So you don't know what your are doing, and when people who know try to tell you how to fix it - you tell them they are wrong. Nice.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:34 AM
MistWolf

Yes, very nice. The experience has taught me a few things about my Mustang I didn't know before. While I didn't know anything about how the ignition system of this vehicle works, that's not to say I'm ignorant on how an internal combustion engine works. I didn't tell anyone they were wrong, I stated facts.

For example, I did not say to Matt "WRONG! You can too time this car!" I just pointed out the cam position sensor does need to be timed so the fuel injection can be fired correctly. I figured Matt thought I was talking about the ignition timing. It took some research for me to understand the concept myself. I did not say "YOU'RE WRONG!" about the blown head gasket resulting in the loss of spark. I simply pointed out it results in loss of compression. The coil will still send a spark to the plug.

My post was short. Without the Stang, we're stuck in Utah and I need to be in Washington in time to go to work Monday. My focus was on getting it running. In my professional life, I must use technical manuals everyday. It's ridiculous the best reference I could find to properly time the cam position sensor is "Note Position Before Removing, Use Special Tool". Further, it's disappointing as it tells me Ford is more interested in selling me a specialty tool than it is in telling me how to perform the task
Old 08-12-2011, 11:54 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

It's $10 for the "special" tool. Marking the starting point is STEP 1 of fixing it. If you don't like that, it's not going to get done. Right now you are complaining about the steps instead of taking them.

My comment about you saying they were wrong was in regard to your statement "I think not." If you don't know how something is done, then say that's not how it's done.... kind of going against itself isn't it?
Old 08-12-2011, 01:18 PM
MistWolf

Sorry, didn't know the cam position sensor didn't have to be timed, blown head gaskets kill spark and Ford V6's spring out of the ground pre-assembled.

Forgive me for not knowing new guys cannot give correct info when it contradicts one of the old hands. Feel free to put me on IGNORE or have me BANNED. Thank you for the big MUSTANGFORUMS.COM welcome. I'm looking forward to learning more about my Stang from the august members of the forum

Quick Reply: I Don't Know What I Don't Know: Cam Sensor