V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Couple Questions about an exhaust plan.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 11:07 AM
neo8222
4th Gear Member

The mufflers not really going to effect emissions much at all but if you in a state that checks emissions you will fail if you just unbolt the cat back.

as for your friend that said he felt more power, it was in his head cause the car was louder, unless he got track times or dyno numbers to prove it. The majority of ALL modern cars need there back pressure to hold on to there low end power, unless they are heavily modified.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:03 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Double0SixShooter
I asked him some of the things you all were saying, he was saying the only problem he has is the rattling, which he said he fixed. As far as power he said there was a noticeable increase. But it seems it's a bad idea since no one has supported the idea lol. I personally like the sound of his car, but what is the best thing to do? If I straight pipe it how will that effect emissions?
Sorry, but your friend is an idiot. There is a loss of power, not a power gain from doing that. It's been proven repeatedly. Also, all the weight of the mid pipe is now hanging on the manifolds... which will cause them to rip off from the heads. That is a problem you don't want to deal with.

To be legal, you need to have the exhaust exiting the profile of the passanger cabin at or behind the leading edge of the most rear seat. (On a Mustang it's more or less right in front of the rear wheels.)
Old 11-06-2011, 01:27 AM
Double0SixShooter
1st Gear Member

You guys are very knowledgeable lol. Anyway, on to legal exhaust upgrades. What sounds best in you guys' opinion for an auto V6? (IE: Flowmasters, Borlas, Macs, etc.) I'm looking for something that won't be completely outrageous in volume, but has a nice tone.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:39 AM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Sorry, but your friend is an idiot. There is a loss of power, not a power gain from doing that. It's been proven repeatedly. Also, all the weight of the mid pipe is now hanging on the manifolds... which will cause them to rip off from the heads. That is a problem you don't want to deal with.

To be legal, you need to have the exhaust exiting the profile of the passanger cabin at or behind the leading edge of the most rear seat. (On a Mustang it's more or less right in front of the rear wheels.)

You and I both know the part about the heads ripping off the manifolds isn't going to happen lol...
Old 11-06-2011, 09:25 AM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Double0SixShooter
You guys are very knowledgeable lol. Anyway, on to legal exhaust upgrades. What sounds best in you guys' opinion for an auto V6? (IE: Flowmasters, Borlas, Macs, etc.) I'm looking for something that won't be completely outrageous in volume, but has a nice tone.
I have the flowmaster cat back system. I know a lot of folks here think any thing less than true duals are a waste, but I wasn't looking for more power. it's a v6 conv, and I have no plan to go racing. Flowmaster claims a 5 hp 5 ft lb torque increase. Woo-hoo.

I had a 13 year old factory muffler with a hole in it. Wanted a little better sound. The Force II kit has a nice idle and only gets loud if your really in the throttle. You can still cruise on the highway without being droned out.

If you spray the two nuts at the "y" the night before, the install should take about an hour. My biggest gripe was flowmaster thinking nuts and bolts would work for installing the passenger side rear hanger. Go to lowes and spend a buck fifty on a couple captive nuts like the factory used.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:31 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

So if they "claim 5 hp" you can bank on the car actually making about 2 hp.

It could rip from the heads if the manifolds are rusted or faulty, but the likely hood is extremely unlikely.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Back pressure -Yes, you need it. You'll lose a lot of power just unbolting the stock exhaust after the Y pipe, the sound will be terrible (tone and volume) and you'll end up with a terrible smell inside in the car.
Once again Roush speaks the truth...
Old 11-07-2011, 08:18 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ESG-642T
You and I both know the part about the heads ripping off the manifolds isn't going to happen lol...
I actually saw a cracked pair of manifolds from a guy who drove around with his mid pipe hanging on them. It was on a black V6 Roush in Dallas. I ended up doing headers, mid pipe and Spin Techs for him.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Double0SixShooter
1st Gear Member

Cool. So next question, since I have you all here. What are good upgrades to start with that turn over decent amounts of power? Oh and btw belairbrian I think I'll do the flowmasters. I like the stock exhaust sound and was trying to get something that didn't sound outrageous, thanks.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:24 AM
Double0SixShooter
1st Gear Member

I actually saw a cracked pair of manifolds from a guy who drove around with his mid pipe hanging on them. It was on a black V6 Roush in Dallas. I ended up doing headers, mid pipe and Spin Techs for him.
Wait, so there really is a V6 Roush..?!

Quick Reply: Couple Questions about an exhaust plan.