V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Improving handling on v6

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 02:09 PM
mo3nzo

Default Improving handling on v6

Hey guys,

So I'm most likely not the only one facing these issues with the live axle: going on bumps freaks me out! The daily paths I take are filled with them, and the car just swerves to the left a bit whenever I encounter a nasty bump. I've heard that installing GT take off sways in the rear helps a lot. I was wondering if there's anything else I can do to reduce the steering control loss? Would a bump-steer kit work? What have you guys done to solve this issue??

Any insight would help!

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2011, 06:19 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I'd say you need to fix the worn out stock shocks and struts before modding the rest. If it's swerving when you hit a bump, something is wrong.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:37 PM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

i think i know what you are talking about. mine does a little shimmy back and forth over this one particular bump almost every time. do as matt said and as you do that, check for anything else that is worn or may need replaced.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:24 PM
mo3nzo

I checked the shocks right one looks a bit dried out but when I push down on it it doesn't bounce back too much it performs the same as the rest of the car. I'll get it a look at the garage. But if I were to improve handling even more what else would I need to do?
Old 11-21-2011, 06:33 AM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

are we talking about handling better than stock or just better than it is right now?
Old 11-21-2011, 10:33 AM
All4One
3rd Gear Member

Pretty sure a bump steer kit is more noticeable if the car has been lowered. Definitely check the rest of your suspension stuff first.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:06 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

This could be a lot of things. One worn out or broken part in the suspension can cause weird handling issues. Your issue could be bad shocks/struts, control arm bushings, ball joints, inner/outer tie rods... the list goes on. Do a good inspection of the front end and look for any bushings that are cracked, missing, damaged etc. Don't forget to check the rack-n-pinions mounting bushings as well as the steering shaft u-joints.

I don't think a new sway bar would help here. Sway bars are for cornering and don't have much of an effect going over bumps.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:35 PM
mustang99v6
3rd Gear Member

First of all, calm down!!!! I'm sure the live axle freaks you out, but wouldn't a dead axle be even freakier??????!!!!!

For starters, why don't you tell us how many miles are on your chassis, and maybe a little bit about the history of the car. Then we can go from there.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:10 PM
mo3nzo

Originally Posted by mustang99v6
First of all, calm down!!!! I'm sure the live axle freaks you out, but wouldn't a dead axle be even freakier??????!!!!!

For starters, why don't you tell us how many miles are on your chassis, and maybe a little bit about the history of the car. Then we can go from there.
Haha I was just trying to word it out interestingly But for the details, it's a 1999 with almost 90k miles on it. The car has a little bit of underbody rust around the exhaust system, driveshaft and a little bit underneat the rear fenders. The chassis seems alright to me. The shocks are also working right.

But as petrock mentioned I'm going to give it a check in spring on the balljoints and control arms and so forth. I payed more attention to when I go over bumps and the front of the car sorta jolts and sways. So there's probably something wrong with the front suspension and the steering I guess. I don't know if this is something normal though, I've had this car since september and these stuff was common so I assumed it's because of the live axle or just a tighter suspension. I'll get a full checkup nonetheless, don't want to break any more parts by just leaving it be.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Droopy89

Gonna agree with them, make sure shocks, struts, and anything else related is in good working condition before you start throwing after market stuff on it.

Quick Reply: Improving handling on v6