V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Adding Back Pressure (?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 06:42 AM
jkeaton
1st Gear Member

It does sound really good at idle, but push on the gas and it sounds like someone blowing through a kazoo....super annoying. I just wonder how I'm not throwing a CEL with no cats. Unfortunately I dont have a ton of cash laying around to re-install what the previous owner had removed. I dont need the cats inspection wise so no need to go to the expense of buying/installing new ones. Just needs something besides a 40 series flowmaster on it. Never liked them. Had one on my truck, replaced it with a magnaflow.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:25 AM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

Another idea is find someone that removed their stock midpipe. I'm sure they'd sell it cheap
Old 12-07-2011, 08:28 AM
mustangmike09
2nd Gear Member

You'll hate anything other then a 40 on these cars most likely.

As kyle said, find another 40 and a prochamber and have it all welded in. Dump it at the axle.
Happy days. At work I cant link vids
Old 12-07-2011, 09:08 AM
robb15033
2nd Gear Member

I seriously apologize, that comment was stupid to make without saying that it's just my opinion & that's all it's worth. Just words, stupid words, I didn't mean to insult anybody.
There are no two identical condition engines with identical exhaust systems so there's a million ways to set one up-
I have contrived several versions of my exhaust and it will never stop. I already have plans for my new set-up this spring. Catless and/or mufflerless didn't sound right on my singleport is what I should of said-
Old 12-07-2011, 09:10 AM
robb15033
2nd Gear Member

All four cats on my single port dual exhaust-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tqxyiJXjJwE
Old 12-07-2011, 11:18 AM
jkeaton
1st Gear Member

I was not insulted in the least. These forums are great in that I can ask a question like this and get numerous personal experience answers. Right or wrong, they are your personal experiences. I then can make my own choice as to how to proceed. I thank you for your insight. Your car sounds great! Mine...not so good....nothing like yours. This car has a custom exhaust from the manifiolds back so nothing stock would be bolt on. I think I will just get like a thrush hush muffler and throw on it for now..anything just to dampen the raspiness at higher RPM's.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:51 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jkeaton
It does sound really good at idle, but push on the gas and it sounds like someone blowing through a kazoo....super annoying. I just wonder how I'm not throwing a CEL with no cats. Unfortunately I dont have a ton of cash laying around to re-install what the previous owner had removed. I dont need the cats inspection wise so no need to go to the expense of buying/installing new ones. Just needs something besides a 40 series flowmaster on it. Never liked them. Had one on my truck, replaced it with a magnaflow.
CATs are federal not local, depending on how long you have had the car they might have to put cats on, or give you money back

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
As long as you have a single exhaust, you probably haven't lost much power (I'm in the camp that believes controlling back pressure is part of making good power). You may be running lean, or you may be used to a car with more power. If you pull the plugs they should all be a light brown color. If they are white, you are running lean.
S197 TEKKKKK

you dont need backpreasure, you want the exhaust to be forced out of the motor with a high velocity to be as efficent as possible

Originally Posted by robb15033
Removing the cats will give the 3.8 an awful exhaust tone & yes losing that backpressure will inhibit low end torque. It's not always the case but it is a fact with Fords 3.8L engine. You have a large variety of choices to pick from- High flow cats, OEM style, or a great economical choice is to get a set of primaries with cats and mid-pipe kit.
Magnaflow has a set but very expensive. If you go to the website "mandrelexhaustsystems.com" you can see what a set looks like. You just bolt it on. Good luck-
with a tune up, long tubes, H pipe and 2.5" catback and a CAI on my 02, i dropped over a second in the quarter and added 4 mph to my trap by "loosing backpreasure" to bad i couldnt loose more?
Old 12-07-2011, 05:49 PM
jkeaton
1st Gear Member

No emissions inspection in my county for vehicles made before 1996. All I have to do is make sure the lights, wipers and horn work...lol

Last edited by jkeaton; 12-07-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:29 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman02232
with a tune up, long tubes, H pipe and 2.5" catback and a CAI on my 02, i dropped over a second in the quarter and added 4 mph to my trap by "loosing backpreasure" to bad i couldnt loose more?
You just moved your power band due to the full exhaust system being done. I'd bet on a dyno sheet you lost power down low, but gained up top.

I have never seen a power gain when a stock/minimally modded 3.8L ditched the cats vs having high flows on there.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:12 AM
robb15033
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman02232
CATs are federal not local, depending on how long you have had the car they might have to put cats on, or give you money back

S197 TEKKKKK

you dont need backpreasure, you want the exhaust to be forced out of the motor with a high velocity to be as efficent as possible

Yeah, I understand where you gained on the track, but myself and alot of others are working on daily drivers. I am grabbing for low end power to keep up or surpass while dodging in and out of traffic and merging on to highways, ya know?? My car is dyno tuned with three files for any number of driving conditions. But anyway, you are correct! Open up that exhaust and your top end power will increase! Good deal-

Quick Reply: Adding Back Pressure (?)