V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

1996 ford mustang 3.8 overheat when thermostat is installed please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:09 AM
jb121

Default 1996 ford mustang 3.8 overheat when thermostat is installed please help

hello I have a 96 mustang 3.8 v6 and I have replaced the radiator + cap, heads and intake were re-manufactured due to car blowing gasket. now for the problem the car overheats when the thermostat is installed, but with it out car has ran fine for the last 10,000 miles. no leaks not loosing coolant it had thermostat installed before it blew the head gasket. could it be a sensor or what im at a loss as only codes it 02 sensor where the cats are removed. when heat is on light smell of sweet anti-freeze but I assume its from cat removal. just bugging me as ive replaced almost everything on car. please help.

1.what are the sensors that I would need to replace cc something
2.I have got all air out of system via t-bolt
3.is water-pump going bad
4.car goes to red hot with thermo installed
5.no wet carpets, heat dose work

car runs great without thermostat installed has new clutch and all I just want everything to be right car has been in family since it was bought new and im sorry if this is the wrong thread I didn't know where to post this thread seemed close enough thanks for the help
Old 12-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

could be a bad thermostat, you can test it by putting in a pan of boiling water, should open at the temp stamped on it.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:14 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Also check the radiator fan. The one on my Trans-Am looked ok...it would spin and such but it was not working right. Finally had the guy straight wire it so it was on all the time the key was. Fixed that.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:59 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

It could be the thermostat as mentioned. Are you installing it in the proper direction? Did you check and make sure that the fan is operational when the car comes up to temp? Yes it could be a bad water pump. Could also be a clogged radiator.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Try boiling your thermo like stated above to make sure it works, also make sure you burp the system after install to make sure you dont have any air pockets in the cooling system. That could also cause a problem.

Matthew
Old 12-22-2011, 02:41 PM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

What indications are you getting, just the gauge?

A fully closed thermostat would mean the upper hose would be pretty cool to the touch?

A worn out water pump on the other hand would cause slow circulation but the upper hose would be hot.

Are you pushing coolant out the resevior vent?

What temp thremostat did you install?

FWIW, I only use failsafe thermostats. They are designed to always open if they fail.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:56 PM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like the coolant system needs to be burped
Old 12-23-2011, 07:00 AM
jb121

Default thank you still minor problems

Thanks for the help guys but when I removed the t stat the seal was a universal not the one with the rivet so my guess air was hitting changed all burped system now is fine another problem is it says I'm misfire on 3&5 also comp said lost fuel pressure I reset computer to see If they come back cats r removed idk why misfire coil pack going out plugs n wires are new any suggest where to start fuel injectors Maby I'm not sure its a general misfire p03 code any test I could do any help is appreciated
Old 12-23-2011, 07:09 AM
jb121

Would a small head gasket crack cause the misfire its a new gasket but it a oem kind but no water in tail or in oil or losing coolant injectors Maby hmmmm any tests please advise and ill run them I just don't know what to test thank again and belairbrian i bought a fail safe just in case and put it in this mornin you can never be too safe
Old 12-23-2011, 08:50 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Codes don't alway tell you the whole story, you can tell a lot by "reading the plugs".
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_su...qs/faqread.asp

I keep an old clip-on timing light, one lead clips on a plug wire, the timing light will flash once for every spark of the plug the wire goes to. No spark, no timing light flash. If you have an intermittent problem, the light will miss a few flashes.
It only takes a few minutes to check all of the plugs, it is an easy and cheap test of your ignition system. It won't tell you if the prob is a wire, plug or coil pack, but it will tell you which cylinder is missing or not firing.
I also keep a compression gauge. If you have spark and compression and still have a problem, it only leaves fuel delivery as the prob. If you have a bad injector, the spark plug in the cylinder with the prob should be darker or lighter than the other plugs. "Darker if it is giving too much fuel, lighter if it is not enough"