V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

2004 3.9L V6 Oil leak from hex part

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 01:48 PM
luigi589

Question 2004 3.9L V6 Oil leak from hex part

Hey all,
I need a little help figuring out what the name is of the part that is leaking oil from my 04 Mustang. Upon jacking the car up and looking at it today, the leak appears to be coming from a small threaded cylinder (maybe an inch in diameter) right above/next to the oil filter itself. The threaded cylinder has a hex keyhole in it and is currently tightened. Upon searching the internet, the only similar part that I came across was called an oil bung, but since I only found that name in one or two places, I wasn't sure that it was actually called that.

When I changed my oil a month ago and noted the leak for the first time, I tightened cylinder a bit and then made note to check it a week or so later. Relocation and starting a new job made me forget, so I just remembered when I saw more oil stains on my driveway recently.

I'm not the most savvy car repairing individual, but if all I need to do is replace that part, I think it should be easy enough to do. Does anyone know what the name of the part is, or has anyone else had an issue with this part leaking oil? How much did it cost you to find the replacement part and fix?

Thanks,
Luigi589

Name:  iN7jX.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  37.0 KB
Old 12-26-2012, 02:23 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Id pull it out and wrap some teflon tape around it during your next oil change. That should clear it up.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:16 PM
lincolnshibuya
1st Gear Member

I got this same issue, can that part be taken and sealed by teflon tape?

Old 09-23-2015, 10:31 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I would do as BabyGT stated. But remove it slowly in case it holds a spring or mechanism in place.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:48 AM
lincolnshibuya
1st Gear Member

I tried searching the forums for the same issue, looks like nobody has tackled this. I'm thinking of just replacing the oil pump but the manual seems to be confusing. It looks I could I just unbolt the pump (6 bolts) but it says remove the front cover too. I have no idea why it needs to be removed..

I'll try tightening that power steering hose connection, it looks like the PO damaged the teflon o-ring during installation.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:36 PM
lincolnshibuya
1st Gear Member

to answer my question, I went to a junkyard and tried pulling out the oil pump. it's a very straightforward process, just remove the oil filter and take out the 6 bolts (4 #10 and 2 #8) the plug has a rubber/plastic gasket/o-ring that turned very hard. It probably shrinked and caused the leak. In my case there's really no need to replace the oil pump, just take our the plug and replace with new o-ring and coat it in teflon.

------------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/diyfordmustanghttps://www.facebook.com/diyfordmustang

Old 09-24-2015, 12:45 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

What is accessed by that plug? For future reference.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:58 PM
lincolnshibuya
1st Gear Member

nothing, it's just a hole that goes through the other side. The rod that turns one of the gears on the oil pump stays in the engine when you pull it out.

I assume that some accessory could be use in lieu of this plug, a cooler or extra oil passage I guess.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:07 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

interesting. may be able to plum it for remote oil filter.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:57 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lincolnshibuya
I went to a junkyard and tried pulling out the oil pump. it's a very straightforward process, just remove the oil filter and take out the 6 bolts...
You say straightforward, but that filter looks like it had a different story to tell...

Quick Reply: 2004 3.9L V6 Oil leak from hex part