V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

60,000 mile service on an automatic

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Hikari_NOS
1st Gear Member

As much as she's driving the car, I'd suggest every 30,000 to 40,000 miles to change the transmission fluid and the transmission filter. When I got my mustang back in 06, the fluid had never been changed by the previous owner. Soon as I got to get that changed for the first time, the transmission was starting to shows signs of wear and it only had 89,000 on it, but since then going by what I've said about how often to change it, my mustang has been getting better and better. I've now got over 158,000 on it and no transmission problems whatsoever. If you want something that will give you estimates as to change/have serviced/etc., then you can always try the Chilton/Haynes books. They are alright but if you're doing indepth work on your car yourself, sometimes they just don't have enough info to go on. Best of luck.

*EDIT*

By the way just found this link someone posted on another forum for the maintenance schedules: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-schedule.html . Hope this helps.

Last edited by Hikari_NOS; 02-13-2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Editing
Old 02-13-2013, 03:39 PM
thefultonhow

Originally Posted by Hikari_NOS
As much as she's driving the car, I'd suggest every 30,000 to 40,000 miles to change the transmission fluid and the transmission filter.
She actually drives a fair amount. She got the car from her parents in June 2010 with ~25,000 mi. So she's at 14,000-15,000 mi per year. It's just that before that, it was her parents' third car (and it was a RWD convertible in NH!), so it didn't get driven a lot.

Originally Posted by Hikari_NOS
*EDIT*

By the way just found this link someone posted on another forum for the maintenance schedules: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-schedule.html . Hope this helps.
Thanks!

BTW, oil does not have to be changed for another couple thousand miles. Last oil change was at 59k and I'm doing 5k intervals.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:04 PM
Hikari_NOS
1st Gear Member

Gotcha. Still wouldn't hurt to check the fluid colors to make sure its not dirty, if so then it would be a good idea to have the transmission fluid and filter changed. Whenever you have a transmission fluid change, you always want to change out the filter as well. Mine mustang is also RWD, but it's just a standard coupe. I don't really drive it much right now since I've got some sort of electrical problem.

Also with the oil changes, you generally want to do it every 3 months with how much she's driving every day. I know mine started to give me issues when I did the 5k intervals, so I lessened it to every 3 months. Sometimes less than that depending on how dirty the oil looked and how the car was running. For now I wouldn't worry about changing the oil if the last was only 1,000 miles ago.

Your very welcome. And best of luck. Also be sure to check out all the hoses too. They can become a headache if they have even one tiny little hole in them that isn't supposed to be there.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:13 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

d
Originally Posted by petrock
Open the book and look inside. It will be in the maintenance interval booklet. Its in there. Just take the time and read it. as the old saying goes, when all else fails Read The F*CK’N Manual... Just sayin’....

While power steering fluid doesn’t need to be changed that often, brake fluid definitely does. It will contaminate itself with moisture in the air over time and turn black. The general rule of thumb is to change the brake fluid out every two years or so. Its one of the few fluids in a car that needs to be changed over time instead of milage.

Now that would be a waste of time & money. Performance wires will have little to no effect on a daily driver, and even most mod’d rides out there. Stick with standard wires.
Unless the coil is not working properly there is no reason to change it. They don’t wear out. They either work or they don’t. And like performance wires, using a performance coil pack will not show any noticeable gains on a daily driver, let alone most mod’d motors out there.

If your just flushing out old coolant, you son’t need distilled water. Garden hose water will do just fine as long as you drain it out and replace with a mix of coolant & distilled water. You want distilled water due to its lack of mineral content, like tap/garden hose water has.
No need to drive in-between changes, just let the motor run with the heater on full blast till the motor is up to operating temps.

Shocks & struts don’t have a milage limit. Different shocks/struts wear out at different milages, that is why it is better to check them instead of just blindly replace them.

If the o2’s aren’t throwing a code there is no reason to replace them.
I have never changed brake fluid in any vehicle I have owned and never had a problem, it has only since been recomended since they have machines to "flush" the system and the quick lube places can make money on it

My stang wires and screaming demon coil on my 02 from autobadges were cheaper then motor craft replacements, I dont recall saying anything about gaining anything from them? for half the price of a night of drinking you know that it is all done and you are not going to have issues with them

if you just drain the radiator and refill with distilled/coolant you still have tap water in the system..... you are right that you dont have to drive to let it circulate, but it is easier to drive it around the block to get it up to temp and let it flow. are you really going to cheap out on $15 worth of distilled water?

shocks and struts wear out at different intervals and road conditions but motorcraft shocks/struts sucks and I dont think i have ever had a set past 50k on any of my fords

I said he could replace the 02 sensors not that he had to, if he starts seeing a decrease in fuel milage then the 02 sensor might be on its way out,

Last edited by mustangman02232; 02-14-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:04 AM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

transmission Fluid change - Up through 1999 Ford recommended changing every 30K miles. In 2000 it was removed from the maintenance schedule. Odd since the transmission didn't change. My guess would be the ability to market lower ownership costs.

As to changing out coil packs for routine maintenance, well that's baffling. My 97 had 140k on it when I sold it and still had the factory coil pack. the 98 still has the coil factory coil pack as well. But hey if you just feel like spending money go for it.

If you go to fleet ford you can call up the maintenance schedules for 2007 and earlier vehicles. My suggestion would be to follow the more robust pre-2000 schedule.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:57 AM
Stickerz

About o2 sensors, I just had to replace one of the rear ones after 130k miles, and I don't think either of the 2 on the exhaust pipes were replaced at 60k.

But I'm not sure, they looked like the exhaust system, so unless things look the same at 70k as they do at 130k, o2 sensors should be good for a while longer.