MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (http://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs (http://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-1994-2004-mustangs-4/)
-   -   are newer cars faster then older cars? (http://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-1994-2004-mustangs/697102-are-newer-cars-faster-then-older-cars.html)

zentin 06-21-2013 11:14 AM

are newer cars faster then older cars?
 
For example, got a buddy who got a 98 mustang GT recently and we were both pretty excited and he even got some bolt on upgrades and he raced a few people. but he got massacred by a 2012 toyota corolla and nissan maxima, and even a Ford Tauras SHO :S

So racing seems to be a lose-lose situation for us people without much money. We can't afford new cars, and even if we get old cars and try to upgrade them, we still get smoked :S

aand the amount of money it costs to get race level parts for a the whole car to get as fast as newer cars, is like as much if not more as buying a new car!! :S

why cant real life be as easy as Forza Motorsport?? :(


also not to mention, i hear the 2013 mustangs base models alone have 300 HP?? how can anyone compete???? its almost as if the sn95 mustangs are obsolete now :( unless u rebuild ur everything with race parts.

drunkyoda 06-21-2013 11:51 AM

he should have easily beat the corolla... its rocking 132 hp at the crank..

the altima could be pushing as much as i believe around 270 to the crank

The taurus has 365 so yes that will beat him but he should have been able to beat the other two.

drunkyoda 06-21-2013 11:52 AM

i meant maxima...

zentin 06-21-2013 12:13 PM

ah i see, maybe was a driver thing then...yeah i hear the tauras SHO is faster then mustang gt's!!! it blows my mind how ford made the daily driver tauras faster then their performance mustangs :S :(

cariacou 06-21-2013 12:35 PM

what tires does he have ?

did you add a custom tune ?

drunkyoda 06-21-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zentin (Post 8235409)
ah i see, maybe was a driver thing then...yeah i hear the tauras SHO is faster then mustang gt's!!! it blows my mind how ford made the daily driver tauras faster then their performance mustangs :S :(

well if he lost to the corolla than he shouldnt be driving... XD

plus that is the performance taurus.

AJ06GT 06-21-2013 01:11 PM

Well, I mean, the SN95 Mustang GT really is slow as dirt. It didn't even have 200 HP at the wheels. If you or your friend bought it thinking it was a fast car or would beat all the other cars on the road, that was a big mistake. Mustangs in general aren't really that fast, at least not GTs until the Coyotes. The 05-10 S197s are decent, but 300 really isn't all that much.

Cars are definitely faster these days because technology is constantly evolving and allowing manufacturers to get more power out of the same or smaller engine. Just look at the V6 Mustangs. Economy cars used to be very slow because it was hard to get a lot of power from them, but now even economy cars are putting down 250 pretty easily.

With the help of some bolt ons, suspension, tires, and gears, they can still be very fun to drive though, and that's what matters.

jthorn9 06-21-2013 02:07 PM

Yes, modern cars are faster than older cars, plain and simple.

Now keep in mind him having a 98 Mustang GT isn't anything to run home about. The reason Ford was so quick to upgrade that motor (after just 3 years) is because it sucked so badly performance wise. The car was rated at 215-225 bhp and 290 tq, however failed to perform on the same levels as the outgoing 5.0 as the 5.0 could run high 14s 1/4 mile with experienced drivers while the modular 4.6 failed to crack into the 14s. An average driver with a 96-98 Mustang will run a mid 15s to low 16s 1/4 mile, which yes, es EXTREMELY SLOW for a V8.

However if your friend wants he can do a PI swap from a 99-04 Mustang. There are a lot of trashed and wrecked 99-04s around the country, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find the top end off a 99-04 and swap it out following the write up in the 4.6L tech section which would boost him to around 225 rwhp and mid 14s quarter mile times.

Derf00 06-21-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zentin (Post 8235358)
For example, got a buddy who got a 98 mustang GT recently and we were both pretty excited and he even got some bolt on upgrades and he raced a few people. but he got massacred by a 2012 toyota corolla and nissan maxima, and even a Ford Tauras SHO :S

So racing seems to be a lose-lose situation for us people without much money. We can't afford new cars, and even if we get old cars and try to upgrade them, we still get smoked :S

aand the amount of money it costs to get race level parts for a the whole car to get as fast as newer cars, is like as much if not more as buying a new car!! :S

why cant real life be as easy as Forza Motorsport?? :(


also not to mention, i hear the 2013 mustangs base models alone have 300 HP?? how can anyone compete???? its almost as if the sn95 mustangs are obsolete now :( unless u rebuild ur everything with race parts.

If the Taurus Sho is a newer one (2010+) don't feel bad. IN stock form they will keep up with my car. With a few simple mods and a tune their 365Hp is easily bumped to over 400 and can keep up with a stock 5.0L. They also have AWD so they are easy to lauch.

Derf00 06-21-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jthorn9 (Post 8235460)
Yes, modern cars are faster than older cars, plain and simple.

Generally speaking yes. However there are a few older cars that still give more modern "performance" cars a run for their money....

here are a few in the last few decades:

2000 Acura Integra Type-R 0-60 mph 6.1 Quarter mile 14.6
1994 Acura NSX 0-60 mph 5.2 Quarter mile 13.4
1969 Chevrolet Camaro ZL-1 0-60 mph 5.2 Quarter mile 11.6
1990 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z 0-60 mph 5.7 Quarter mile 14.2
1968 Dodge Charger (Auto) 0-60 mph 4.7 Quarter mile 13.3
1986 Dodge Shelby GLHS 0-60 mph 6.4 Quarter mile 14.6
1992 Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo 0-60 mph 5.6 Quarter mile 14.0

There are always exceptions to the rules but yes sadly our mustang (even the 5.0L) will be dusted by a future car that is "run of the mill".


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2