V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

1998 mustang 3.8 5speed cranks but wont start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 03:46 PM
mustang97tn

Default 1998 mustang 3.8 5speed cranks but wont start?

I just got a 1998 Mustang with a 3.8v6 5-speed manual. The kid I got it from said he drove it a few times and then all of a sudden it wouldnt start. The theft light flashes repeatedly. It does roll over good. I do not hear the fuel pump kick on. I made sure there was fuel in the car and sprayed some starting fluid down the intake and it does fire for a couple seconds..so I know im getting spark. I was thinking fuel pump or relay or something along that line. Just wondering if anyone has any advice or help?
Old 06-28-2013, 06:11 PM
302_Mustang
1st Gear Member

When you put the key in the ON position you can hear the fuel pump. I would check your shrader valve on your fuel rail and press on it while you crank it. If fuel squirts out then you're receiving fuel. Also check your fuel filter because sometimes they get so clogged up, they starve the engine of fuel. If you do replace your fuel pump I'd replace the fuel filter as well to make sure it's not clogging up and then stress the new fuel pump. To check spark you can remove a spark plug and keep it in the boot and hold it with pliers and make sure you have rubber gloves and turn over the car and you should see it sparking. Make sure you check through ALL of your fuses, the ones under the steering wheel and engine bay. Also check the fuel cut off switch, it might of been tripped and it not giving power to the fuel pump
Old 06-30-2013, 06:27 PM
mustang97tn

the fuel pump does not kick on when i turn the key. i checked all the fuses with a test light and they all have power. i also checked the wires to the fuel pump and didnt not have power to the connector? the theft light flashes 1 and then 6 in a row?
Old 07-10-2013, 06:12 PM
zipzit

RFID anti-theft key?
Old 07-10-2013, 06:14 PM
zipzit

When you borrowed the code tester from Autozone, took it home and recovered the codes of the vehicle's computer, what did you see?
Old 07-11-2013, 05:59 AM
mustang97tn

I only have one key to the car. I haven't hooked a tester up to it yet. I wasn't sure if they read theft light codes or just check engine lights? It has to be a security issue. I talked to the ford dealer to see if they could look up the code that it is flashing and they wanted to sell me a fuel pump for $330 when I can get one at the parts store for $125 or bring it in and test it for $95. I don't think it's the fuel pump
Old 07-11-2013, 09:06 PM
zipzit

You really should try Autozone. The testers are free. You leave a deposit, borrow the tester for up to 30 days, return for full refund. Great deal for those living in Michigan. I don't know if the tester will obtain codes for anti-theft stuff, but what do you have to lose?
Old 07-16-2013, 10:21 PM
warthogdriver
2nd Gear Member

my 99 blazer did this same thing.
i changed out the heater core and put the dash back in...would fire all day long but get no gas. it was the security system. when i put it back in i didnt connect the body harness under the kick panel all the way. if you have a lock smith in your area have give them a call. in my city there is a lock smith that is great with car systems...worth a shot.
to test the pump hook it up to a lead from fuel relay under the hood and see if it fires. that would rule it out for sure.

where in michigan are you?
Old 07-17-2013, 06:46 AM
mustang97tn

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
my 99 blazer did this same thing.
i changed out the heater core and put the dash back in...would fire all day long but get no gas. it was the security system. when i put it back in i didnt connect the body harness under the kick panel all the way. if you have a lock smith in your area have give them a call. in my city there is a lock smith that is great with car systems...worth a shot.
to test the pump hook it up to a lead from fuel relay under the hood and see if it fires. that would rule it out for sure.

where in michigan are you?
I'm sure it's something to do with the security or the key or somethin stupid. I'm going to take it to a good mechanic I know and have him look at it. I'm in mt.pleasant area
Old 07-17-2013, 09:57 AM
zipzit

Free code checker, Autozone. Did I mention that its free? (If you can't start the car, how are you going to bring it to a mechanic?)

Quick Reply: 1998 mustang 3.8 5speed cranks but wont start?