V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Seafoam and the Mustang :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 10:05 PM
Toadster
1st Gear Member

Talking Seafoam and the Mustang :)

Seafoamed our '00 today - 1/3 in the tank, 1/3 in the oil and sucked up the rest in the PCV inlet - this doesn't show how much smoke was really billowing...

my son said 3 people were hollering at him when driving around, one guy had his wipers going LOL
Old 11-11-2013, 12:59 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Dont forget to change the oil soon.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Jeez i was just about to put some Lucas fuel injector cleaner into mine. I know seafoam is basically the same thing. Now im worried to even do that...
Old 11-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Toadster
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daehawk
Dont forget to change the oil soon.
yup - this week
Old 11-17-2013, 06:25 PM
Greyshot
1st Gear Member

Hopefully the same thing won't happen to you like it did to me. I used seafoam on my 2000 and all the sludge that it cleaned out of the engine ended up plugging my converters. Boy you wouldn't believe all the problems that caused. Felt like my car was running on 3 cylinders, wouldn't even get to 60 without a downslope haha! I ended up just gutting the cats and it ran like new. Good luck!
Old 11-27-2013, 05:42 PM
massguy54
1st Gear Member

I did seafoam on one of my other cars and had nothing but problems after
Old 11-28-2013, 04:19 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Toadster
sucked up the rest in the PCV inlet
You should never suck any fluid into the motor through any vacuum tube. You can easily hydrolock the motor if it sucks in too much fluid. Its better to pour it in slloooooowwwwlly while keeping the RPM’s around 2k. You want to pour it in so that the RPMs dip, and the motor may chug a little, but don’t let it stall. Stalling is bad.

Originally Posted by Mobiusone stang
Jeez i was just about to put some Lucas fuel injector cleaner into mine. I know seafoam is basically the same thing. Now im worried to even do that...
That smoke is normal and will go away after a little while.

I sea foamed my wifey’s ride a few years back in a local high school parking lot around 3AM so as not to alarm/annoy anyone with the smoke. It produced a hell of a lot of smoke, but it went away after about 10 minutes or so. No problems afterwards and the car actually ran better.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Good good. Just put the cleaner in yesterday... So far so good
Old 11-29-2013, 04:57 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by petrock
You should never suck any fluid into the motor through any vacuum tube. You can easily hydrolock the motor if it sucks in too much fluid. Its better to pour it in slloooooowwwwlly while keeping the RPM’s around 2k. You want to pour it in so that the RPMs dip, and the motor may chug a little, but don’t let it stall. Stalling is bad.
Yes and no on this answer, yes you shouldn't suck liquid into the motor, but that is exactly what your supposed to do with sea foam, BUT the PCV inlet is to large, your supposed to use a vacuum source before the intake manifolds to slowly suck it in, while keeping rpms up.

Like stated previously though, if the motor is higher mileage there is a good chance of clogging cats. I've heard of people disconnecting the exhaust before the cats prior to this as a preventative.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:20 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BabyGT
Yes and no on this answer, yes you shouldn't suck liquid into the motor, but that is exactly what your supposed to do with sea foam,
Thats not entirely correct, at least not according to SeaFoams own website:

http://seafoamsales.com/vacuum-line-...with-sea-foam/
Start the engine. For automatic transmissions, keep the car in PARK. For manual transmissions, put the car in neutral and apply the parking brake. SLOWLY POUR 1/3 to 1/2 can of Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the vacuum hose (do not put any vacuum line into Sea Foam container to draw liquid into engine), while at the same time revving the engine to about 2000 RPMs. You will begin to see clouds of white exhaust from the tailpipe. When you have finished pouring, turn off the engine and let it sit for at least 10 minutes. Now start the vehicle again. Drive it aggressively (but legally) for about five miles or until the white smoke is no longer being produced. Repeat Sea Foam treatment as necessary.
Sucking the fluid in is extremely risky because you can’t control the flow very easily. Pouring it in gives you much more control so there is less chance of hydrolock.

Originally Posted by BabyGT
I've heard of people disconnecting the exhaust before the cats prior to this as a preventative.
Cool idea… I did my truck and my wifey’s Mustang at 130k & 150k respectively without any clogged cat issues. Maybe I got lucky.

Quick Reply: Seafoam and the Mustang :)