V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

99-04 Mustang 3.8L In the SNOW

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Mustangsz
1st Gear Member

Default 99-04 Mustang 3.8L In the SNOW

So i never drove my mustangs in the winter and i had some input from some people. We just had a 10CM snow fall with freezing rain and honestly the stang wasnt to bad considering i was at my girlfriends and they didnt plow there road or the main road , i got 4 Snow tracker tires on it with no studs with 180 lbs of sand in the trunk my car is a manual and for everyone else who is wondering if your not a complete meat head and take your time you could easily drive your stang in the winter , i ended up driving by 2 cars in the ditch and i just cruised by smiling , and hey its always fun to go around a few turns sideways , who needs a 5.0L when you can drive your V6 in the snow and be sideways ahah
Old 12-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

When it comes to snow and Mustangs I tend to treat it as each one is different. Me I dont do a thing to mine and you can see the tires I use. I dont change them or add weight or anything. The one time we got over a inch of snow and ice and slush I was fine. I couldn't make it slide .I supposed if I'd REAALLY tried I could have but with the wife in the car I didn't want to get smacked hahaha. I cant say I wasn't worried as I left the driveway but it was for nothing.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Mustangsz
1st Gear Member

what kind of tires u got on urs i tend to keep takin my sand bags out when not needed but my trunk is getting wet n will rott out if i dont figure something out.. but i dont wanna leave the weight in cus its sagging in the **** end and will **** my springs im thinking..
Old 12-12-2013, 08:38 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Its there in my sig.... Nexen N3000 255/40ZR17 tires
Old 12-12-2013, 05:58 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Meh, just be cautious and take your time and you will be fine. Drove mine a few times in the snow last year and I'm running summer tires year round.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:57 AM
massguy54
1st Gear Member

Not really a car I would drive in the snow rear whell drive and all mine is garaged in the winter
Old 12-13-2013, 10:15 AM
yiannisthegreek
2nd Gear Member

Ive been driving my stang in the snow with zero issues whatsoever and Im up here in "The Great White North" in Edmonton Alberta Canada.

We already had close to 50cm (about 20 inches) of snow here since late October and just got dumped on by another 15cm (about 6 inches) and its still snowing today.

No sand bags, no snow tires, no traction control, no NOTHING... LOL and to be honest, this car seems to be great in the snow, minus the occassional "fishtail" or the occassional "slow start" at a light on glare ice for example. Other than that she just seems to motor right along... :-)

Mustangsz - Where are you located? Are you in Canada or the U.S.? Your locations says CA which I assume is California but you mentioned your snowfall amount in Centimetres...

Last edited by yiannisthegreek; 12-13-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:15 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

I drove my 02 for a few winters and my 99.... Once. Cobra is sitting in a reefer trailer nice and warm, out of the elements
Old 12-14-2013, 05:57 AM
Mustangsz
1st Gear Member

I live on the east coast of canada nova scotia lol were getting a 25CM-35CM snowfall warning for tomorrow not to worried.. how much weight do you guys put in your trunk if any at all
Old 12-16-2013, 09:10 AM
yiannisthegreek
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangsz
I live on the east coast of canada nova scotia lol were getting a 25CM-35CM snowfall warning for tomorrow not to worried.. how much weight do you guys put in your trunk if any at all
Ahhhh... Another Canuck are ya? Lol... Well I have no extra weight in my trunk whatsoever. I do try to keep the gas tank between 1/2 and full just to keep SOME weight back there but other than that, nothing...

You just have to be careful and watch the a$$ end of the car and keep it from fishtailing too badly or spinning out of control. What it really comes down to is how you drive it at the end of the day... :-)

Quick Reply: 99-04 Mustang 3.8L In the SNOW