V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

99 Electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 02:54 AM
Steven Evans

Default 99 Electrical issues

Ok so I was working out of town in Sept'13 and making my 3rd 2hr trip I blew a heater hose about half way there, I pulled of the highway and stopped, I didn't drive it more than maybe a 1/4 mile to where I got off the highway. I replaced the hose and finished my trip with no other problems until about 2 weeks later I was driving home from (Local) work and my Battery light came on, by the time I got home Battery gage was almost completely to the "L" and my headlights were more like my kids night light. I bought a new battery the next morning and the gage was normal. I got to work fine, but I had to be towed home as I had "0" power.

My thought was the Alt. I Checked it out and it had dried up white build up on it. I can only assume this was Anti-Freeze from my blown heater hose which was about and inch about the alt. So I pulled it and had it tested which it "Passed" but I decided to replace it anyway because while it was testing it made the machine, which was bolted to the ground shake like a washing machine with an un-even load.

I exchanged the new battery so I would not be putting a new alt. with a dead battery. Everything was fine until about 2 weeks ago when it all started again. First thing I did was pull the alt. and had it tested and it "Failed" 3x. I exchanged it and the battery again to start fresh. Installed and everything was great until last night, Repeating issue however this time no Battery Light.

Did a search and I was told to replace the bulb in the cluster so I was thinking and since I have had this car (almost a year) the only 3 lights that come on are the Seatbelt, Theft & formerly the Battery. I pulled the cluster panel out today to check the bulbs and every single one was fine. Checked fuse for the Panel and it was blown, replaced it and all the lights worked then with in a few seconds it blew again.

So question #1 is "Could the cluster be bad and if so would it affect the alt. and battery?"

Question #2 "My entire cluster also takes 15-20 seconds to start-up after starting the car. I don't think that is normal is it? (This is not new issue, this is how it has been since my 1st test drive in the car almost a year ago)"

Question #3 "Are there any other parts that could have been messed up or corroded from the Steam/Water/Anti-Freeze issue or would it be something completely different?"
Old 12-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Steven Evans

just install the 3rd Alt. It started and the waited for the cluster start up 16 seconds this time the gages all did their sweep motion then reset. The Seatbelt, Air Bag, theft and Battery light all lit up on start then went off. I let it run for a minute then the seat belt light and mileage screen turned off. Turn off the car and restarted and the same thing happen the gauges all work but the rest keeps turning off???
Old 12-21-2013, 04:15 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

I would start with the obvious problem and figure out what is causing the fuse to blow. Its obviously a short, but where is the question. There is no silver bullet with electrical problems. If you have a good understanding of electricity, a good supply of fuses (or a circuit breaker with the same amp reading), the wiring diagram for your year/model ride and a small compass (seriously) you should be able to find the short fairly quickly. It could be that some of the coolant got in somewhere and kind of formed a bridge between two circuits and caused the short. Or it could have been a problem that existed before the hose blew, but only now popped its ugly head up. If your not good with electronics, I would be a PITA to find the short so I would advise paying someone to do it for you.

Chances are its something “simple” like a broken/corroded wire or a loose connection somewhere.

Good luck...
Old 12-22-2013, 11:51 PM
samiamthemustangman
1st Gear Member

It should not be the instrument cluster. But if it is the car has to be took to the dealership or a new tune with pats off and any cluster will do. Mine sweeps occasionally. Saving up for a rare cluster. A voltage meter is your best friend.