V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Radiator Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Samantha Marino

Default Radiator Leaking

I have a 98 Ford Mustang. It was extremly cold last night and I started my car this morning and went back inside. When i returned about 20 minutes later the anti freeze had ran down my driveway in a puddle and my car had over heated. There was no smoke coming from the hood.
When I lifted the hood there was still anti freeze in the jug and when taking off the cap nothing came out....
I am a single gal and am clueless!!
I have had this car sinse new and am attacted to it! It's been the best ever so Please help!!
Old 01-06-2014, 06:44 PM
MustangZR

Default I had this problem before

I hope I can help Sam..may I call you Sam for short?

Anyways have you checked your heater hose

This is how I fixed mine when it stripped by some rubbing.

I got a brass tube & some clamps for the fix. Sorry on the diameter I clearly dont know the size-I just measured & thats it but forgot the diameter.

I know clearly your car did not smoke as you said but you did leave to go in the house to get something? So it could of smoked then? Anyways just trying to help a gal. I would suspect your hoses thats my guess.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:51 PM
MustangZR

Originally Posted by MustangZR
I would suspect your hoses thats my guess.
Your Heater Hose & Coolant Hoses
Old 01-06-2014, 08:36 PM
Samantha Marino

Of course you may call me Sam And thank you so much. I will check it out. Just don't want someone telling me something major if it's not.
I will run a copy of this picture off so I will have it to compare and I really appreciate your time and advice!
Old 01-07-2014, 09:13 AM
yiannisthegreek
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Samantha Marino
Of course you may call me Sam And thank you so much. I will check it out. Just don't want someone telling me something major if it's not.
I will run a copy of this picture off so I will have it to compare and I really appreciate your time and advice!
Hi Sam... May I ask how cold it was last night where you are? I would agree that it is likely your hoses but it all depends on where the antifreeze is leaking from.

Can you see or do you have a good idea of where the leak actually is? It could be a variety of places (thats the fun of the cooling system)...
Old 01-07-2014, 11:08 AM
MustangZR

Default Yes Check Your Hoses

Anyways I did the bass tubing there just so that I did not have to replace the whole heater hose line, because of the heater hose goes through the firewall. Depending on where it is well, you probably can just replace the hose. Anyways good luck.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:24 AM
MustangZR

Default Forgot the add

Brass tubing is the BEST. It wont rust really so BRASS tubing & have it long enough and it has to have abit of a lip to it.

Make sure its the same inlet size not the thickness of the hose. Probably can cut off the stripped part for reference & go to a Home Depot or some place that will have some brass tubing. Remember the small clamps too.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:51 AM
MustangZR

take out lip lol

however if you find one like this

==|==|== same diameter but has a lip to it thats ok. but have it the same diameter inlet

dont get one like is

\\\\|||||\\\\\ with threads that will cause a leak, unless it has a lip to it.

like ==||||== well hope you get so that it will have some seal I guess.

I bought all sorts of tubing at Home Depot so whatever worked best LOL.

Strictly I suggest just find one without the threads.

I believe I found one without the threads but its been awhile & surely I dont want to take it off to find out what I did to create a seal. It was hard finding some brass tubing.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:10 PM
MustangZR

Default Well strictly

JUST STRICTLY GO WITH THE SAME INLET SIZE OF TUBING AS HOSE WITH NO THREADS wishing I could reedit my post I did not want to confuse you LOL.

So no threads on piping Threads on piping NO GO for safe measure.

Im having fun with smileys I have humor :P its me.

So REMEMBER NO THREADS ON PIPING I SUGGEST. Clearly I dont know if I had some but had some lip to it as I said but mostly just but easier to try to find one with SAME INLET SIZE through out the brass tubing.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:23 PM
MustangZR

Default My point is

My point is find a brass tubing that has the same inlet, no threads but if its like this

==|==|== well thats fine

but mostly just go with ||||||||| with out threads

Just I cant remember what type of piping/tubing I used because I was sorta limited at Home Depot, but I might of found one like

|||||||| with no threads some other place? Anyways good luck

Quick Reply: Radiator Leaking