V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Gas is leaking from the tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 02:18 AM
aesco951

Default Gas is leaking from the tank

I have a 99 V6 mustang. After filling up my tank last night, I parked my car and when I came out there was a puddle of gas under the car. I just had the fuel pump replaced so I'm hoping it's not gonna be that. I have an idea of where it might be leaking from. The blue Evap valve above the tank on my car is broken. Is it possible that it could be leaking from there? And does anyone know the part number for it? I've been looking around but no luck. All that i've found is the whole tank for sale.

If you go here, you'll see the blue valves I'm talking about.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-FORD-M...-/261406802745
Old 05-03-2014, 07:09 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

I'd check where the filler neck connects to the tank. I got my car used and it was empty..filled it full and went in a store...came out and a guy says your leaking gas..it was pouring out.. i was on a small slope toward the neck...turned out to be a rotted grommet..thanks you damn useless ethanol and stupid government.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:13 AM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

^ that was a problem before the ethonol was used. They dry rot and deteriorate.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:44 AM
corker
1st Gear Member

I'm with DaeHawk above, sounds just like the rubber grommet is torn. Removing the tank to replace the pump puts the filler neck connection at steep angles which tends to ruin the old dried out grommet. The blue valves you refer to on your tank are not disturbed when replacing the fuel pump. Just crawl under the back passenger side and follow the filler neck pipe into the tank. If its leaking you will see a stain all around it.
Corky
Old 05-20-2014, 08:48 AM
BigWave916
1st Gear Member

I have same problem on my Cobra. If I put more than half a tank of fuel in and then make a left turn I leave a trail of fuel around the corner. If I park on an incline with the front end ont he high side, it will leak fuel. It started out that I was smelling fuel all the time, but now its a full on leak.

I checked the filler neck junction at the tank and there is a rubber gasket/grommet maybe 2 1/2 " X 4" just hanging there. The filler neck still looks to be installed in the tank and has a seal around it. Did these seals sometimes separate into two pieces? How hard is it to R&R the seal? Do I need to drop the tank to do it?
Old 05-20-2014, 04:25 PM
corker
1st Gear Member

Yes, the inner diameter will separate from the outer diameter (it is one piece) when they get old and dry rotted. I had to drop the tank to get it in properly. I couldn't get the filler neck at a steep enough angle without dropping the tank. The filler neck sticks inside the tank approx. 4 - 6 inches - so, there's not much room to pull it out without having the tank out of the way. Actually, I loosened both straps and lowered the driver's side of the tank more than the passenger's side to get the angle right. No need to disconnect anything from the top of the tank - there was enough slack in everything to make the swap.
Good Luck
Corky
Old 05-21-2014, 03:48 PM
BigWave916
1st Gear Member

Thanks Corky. Good to know I don't have to take the tank all the way down. I have access to a hoist so maybe I can make short work of this little problem on Saturday.

Last time I filled the tank and then parked the car on an incline at the pizza place it had people in a panic. Damn glad no one flipped a cigarette butt anywher near the car. She'd be gone.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:37 AM
corker
1st Gear Member

Having access to a lift is a luxury! Just make sure you pay attention to the fuel pump wiring routing. It is very easy to pinch the wires if you don't keep them in the valley made for them at the rear of the tank.
Good Luck,
Corky
Old 05-22-2014, 01:59 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Because I'm a forum junkie, I will reply here too

Had the same issue on my 01 GT. If you haven't ordered the seal yet, latemodel restoration has them the cheapest. Search for fill neck and you'll find the seal. It was $19.99 for my GT. All the local parts stores here swore I could only get it with a new gas tank (idiots) and the ford dealer wanted $30

Careful when removing the old seal. If its really rotted the inner part of the seal can fall into the gas tank. Then you will have to drop the tank, remove the fuel pump and go fishing.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:32 PM
Jarrod@latemodel
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Shampue
Because I'm a forum junkie, I will reply here too

Had the same issue on my 01 GT. If you haven't ordered the seal yet, latemodel restoration has them the cheapest. Search for fill neck and you'll find the seal. It was $19.99 for my GT. All the local parts stores here swore I could only get it with a new gas tank (idiots) and the ford dealer wanted $30

Careful when removing the old seal. If its really rotted the inner part of the seal can fall into the gas tank. Then you will have to drop the tank, remove the fuel pump and go fishing.
What Shampue said.

OP, we have them in stock, ready to ship as well.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...Filler-Grommet

Quick Reply: Gas is leaking from the tank