V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Mach 460 Deck change?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 09:29 PM
megaeverything

Default Mach 460 Deck change?

hey there,

i have a 2000 v6 mustang and i was just wondering if it is possible to get a new deck without loosing the "quality" of the mach 460 system. do i need some type of wiring harness to hook up to a new deck. say i wanted to put in this deck:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...8c9d9b199een02
would i need anything to adapt to it or is it polug and play witht he same sound quality?
new to cars here, this is my first car
Old 06-10-2014, 07:09 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

You can buy harness adapters that will make it plug and play into the factory harness but you will still have to do some splicing on the stereo end. This is true with any car. The extra problem here is that the factory amps need an extra harness adapter wired in to turn them on when the stereo turns on. It is possible. But I can say unless you buy a HIGH end head unit with a full range adjustable equalizer you won't get as good sound quality as the stock 460 unit. Its actually really nice for a factory stereo. I actually reinstalled it after installing my first stereo due to disappointment in sound quality.

You have to make sure whatever unit you get has an adjustable high pass filter in the settings. Otherwise the bass will blow your factory tweeters. And don't expect to just swap speakers. Then you have to run all new speaker wire because the stock speakers use a different amp/voltage rating and new speakers won't work right on the factory amps.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:28 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

I looked that unit up and would not recommend that one as it only has a 3 band adjustable EQ. You will not be able to get the sound depth that the stock unit produces with it. The stock system is designed to all work together. The cheaper head units are designed to be universal one size fits all deals. I ended up having to go with a double din DVD jobber from Pioneer. But I'm a bit of an audiophile so that might be overkill for you.

Recap;

1) Full range equalizer
2) High pass filter

Make sure whatever you get has these two and you're golden. Plenty of head units have both of these in the same price range as what you listed.

Last edited by BabyGT; 06-10-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:05 PM
megaeverything

ok thanks,

do you know how much one of these decks would cost? im in high school and dont want to spend too much on a new deck over performance parts. i just want the aux and usb input and i want to make it look flashy...... can you maybe send me a link to one that i could buy?
Old 06-10-2014, 02:43 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BabyGT
Make sure whatever you get has these two and you're golden. Plenty of head units have both of these in the same price range as what you listed.
Originally Posted by megaeverything
ok thanks,

do you know how much one of these decks would cost? im in high school and dont want to spend too much on a new deck over performance parts. i just want the aux and usb input and i want to make it look flashy...... can you maybe send me a link to one that i could buy?
Old 06-10-2014, 06:09 PM
megaeverything

can you maybe suggest me one? just link it and ill look into it.

thanks so much,
Old 06-10-2014, 06:58 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Most pioneer and Sony are good choices.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:32 PM
megaeverything

is a 5-Band Graphic Equalizer a full range equalizer? is this a good deck to get?
http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POC...vers/DEH-X16UB

or

http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POC...rs/DEH-X2600UI

ether of them good?

thanks so much
Old 06-11-2014, 12:41 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Either would work, I'd get the second one.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:11 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

After I looked into all the stuff I decided to forget it lol. All I need is the door speakers. the sails work and the back deck works. hell Im not sure the doors are even in there yet.

Quick Reply: Mach 460 Deck change?