V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Pushrod 5.0 to 99-04 V6

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 11:20 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

You could always do the Lincoln 4v swap, since the 4.6 was available in the new edge and you can find an obdII Lincoln this is pretty much completely legal as long as you re title and insure the car as a v8 afterwards.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...ap-thread.html
Old 11-26-2014, 05:40 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Possibility but I'm dead set on that 5.0

I do understand the risks but I'm still all for it. I want to plan on starting it in the summer, and see where it goes from there
Old 12-02-2014, 12:07 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

I hear a lot of people telling me the 5.0 for those years were really slow...
I am still dead set on it anyway but what about the 2v to swap? I heard the transmissions wont bolt on to the v6....

Many people have told me the push rod 5.0 to new edge v6 is the "easiest" swap as any other swap is much harder and requires much more skill
Old 12-02-2014, 09:06 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Originally Posted by MCR
I hear a lot of people telling me the 5.0 for those years were really slow...
I am still dead set on it anyway but what about the 2v to swap? I heard the transmissions wont bolt on to the v6....

Many people have told me the push rod 5.0 to new edge v6 is the "easiest" swap as any other swap is much harder and requires much more skill
I hate saying it, but you've been given a lot of really bad info. Having personally dug into an Sn95 5.0 I can first hand tell you it's not as straight forward as you think. You have a lot of compatibility issues to attack on top of the V6 to V8 conversion. As I stated before it's going to require A TON of work and even then it may or may not run quite right.

The 2V, IMO, is a waste of time, get a GT if that's what you want to do. The best swap, as I stated would be a 4V using a donor car, it's still not easy by any means, but is easier than the 5.0 conversion.

Yes 5.0s, out the box, by modern standards are very slow, running high 14s low 15s on average. They can be modified, for around $1000-2000 to run fairly decent numbers. Another problem you have is the transmission. The T5/T45 the 5.0s and V6s run are not strong enough to hold more than 300 ftlbs of torque safely. That's why a lot of people that mod 5.0s to this point have to perform either a transmission swap (TKO 500/600, T56) or rebuild the T5/T45 with stronger internals. I personally went through this problem as 5.0, NA, damaged the syncros between the gears. I beefed it up for the super charger which was another steep investment.

Last edited by jthorn9; 12-02-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:39 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

You know, jthorn has been a leader here since I first joined, I gotta say, I was stubborn, but in the end my opinion just seems to exactly what he's saying here. It was hammered into me after trying to do things the hard way, and just being like 'why am I doing this to myself'.

As someone who's owned every Generation v8, I have to say the most fun I had was 2000 2V PI GT.

Not sure where you live, but around here you can find supercharged New Edge gt's for not a lot of money (6-7k).

Realistically, even if you get a 5.0 swap done for 2.5k, you'll still have a high mileage engine. Guess what? to make 300+hp you're going to have to rebuild it. What happens when you magnaflux the block and find a crack?

But whatevs, OP, you didn't ask for help or anything, so go have fun. I don't get the point of this thread. "I'm doing this, don't try to talk me out of it". Okay, go for it. I don't get what you want from the people here.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:25 AM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info jthorn

While jthorn has been giving me a lot of good information you can easily find a donor car for under $2000 from a 2V or 5.0. It is really not hard. You have to look. And last weekend showed me there is no way a project like this takes you 6 months - a year: maybe if you're lazy, but you can finish this type of job in over a week. And I am not buying a GT for a few reasons
1) The car I currently have now I have done so much stuff on the exterior I don't want to redo this again on another car. I don't want to put new wheels again on this car. I don't want to redo a Mach 1 chin spoiler and grille delete. I don't want to put new tires on another car right now. I don't want to tint the windows, or even a possible hood scoop. I'm not redoing it again. And don't tell me, "Well you can find one that already looks nice". Right, but there will always be something missing that I rather not do work on it. Why not keep the car I currently have? It has low mileage + has great body work + recently repainted for another 2V likely rusted and ran hard

It makes no sense to buy a supercharged car with the amount of **** you're going to have to deal with on that car. You don't know who SC'd the car. You don't know the likely problems you will come with it. You don't know how rusted it looks. You don't know much on the car. I'm sticking with the one I have, period. And a 2V GT here with around 80-90k miles are 8,000-10,000$ and I'm not paying for that if I can easily just get a donor car for $1000 and add another $1000 for any pieces I miss, or to rebuild anything. $2000 is still less than $8000. Whose wasting the real money on here?

I thought cars were meant to be built. All people on most forums just give you crap for wanting to build your car. When I wanted to supercharge my V6 all people kept telling me was "Just go buy a GT". "Buy a V8. Why are you wasting money?" And then when I want to swap a V8 like many have done, "Why are you doing it? Waste of money! Go buy a 2V. Or a Fox. It'll be cheaper". Because I don't like the body styles of the Fox or the older Mustangs and I love the look of my current car, and I think it's really fun when you can actually build your own car than just going for the next fast car.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:03 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

We aren't telling you don't do it. We are telling you be prepared as it isn't as straight forward as you think. Swapping engines in cars isn't like it used to be due to computers and electrical wiring

You will need to also redo the entire fuel system from returnless to returnstyle I believe.

The only way to make this a truly easy swap without a lot of headaches is by going carbed and eliminating the computer completely. this will however cause you to lose a lot if not all of your electronics.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:50 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
We aren't telling you don't do it. We are telling you be prepared as it isn't as straight forward as you think. Swapping engines in cars isn't like it used to be due to computers and electrical wiring

You will need to also redo the entire fuel system from returnless to returnstyle I believe.

The only way to make this a truly easy swap without a lot of headaches is by going carbed and eliminating the computer completely. this will however cause you to lose a lot if not all of your electronics.
And one look under the hood screams illegal engine swap. This is why there are so many cars on Craigslist with half finished swaps. Yeah the ad says ran out of time/moving/kid coming/etc...... But 9 times out of 10 someone got in over there head and found out it was a money pit and above their skill level. The only way to make this really worthwhile is if you have all the things just lying around already. In your case OP you are buying EVERYTHING.

And saying you want to do an engine swap because you don't want to do all the work to swap body parts over is like saying you'd rather use nail clippers to sharpen a pencil because the pencil sharpener takes to much effort to crank a handle.

Yes it has been done, and yes it can be made fast, but anything can be made fast. Yes a 5.0 motor can be had cheap. But by the time you buy everything to do the swap of a motor into a car it was never designed to fit you will have spent way more time and money.

You have plenty of people here who have done the swap telling you its not worth it and that they wish they hadn't and a few people who haven't done it telling you the same thing. We are just trying to help. By the time you have bought everything and done all this work you could have sold/traded in your v6 for a v8 and spent less money, and possibly be working on your credit. Miles really don't mean a lot especially on these fords, how it was taken care of and driven make way more of a difference.

I'd rather own a GT with close to 200k on it driven by some grandma who had it taken in for maintenance 5 times a year than buy a GT with 20k miles driven by a high schooler or a middle aged man who drove it like a sports car. Even if he changed the oil just as often.

Last edited by BabyGT; 12-03-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:29 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

I can't sell this car anyway because I've done too much work + it was painted and the value drops. I'm not selling it. I won't get much out of it.

It's not only on this board but others too...it's like you can't win if you have a V6. If you want to supercharge it you get ridiculed and people tell you it is a waste of money and buy a GT...or If you want to swap your 6 with a V8 you'll still be ridiculed by everyone saying it is a huge waste of time and buy a GT. You can't win unless you have a GT...
Old 12-03-2014, 06:51 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Be happy with your sixxer. I rock my little 4 cyl everyday while my GT sits in the garage covered up. I get asked all the time why I drive the 4 cyl when I have a newer v8 just sitting.

I like my 4 cyl more and I don't care what others think. Once my sixxer is put back together the GT will probably only come out once or twice a year instead the current 5 or 6 times.

When it comes to YOUR car that YOU are paying for, do what YOU want. So far no one on this thread has ridiculed your v6, we are just giving you a heads up to what you are in for if you persue the swap.

Last edited by PNYXPRESS; 12-03-2014 at 06:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Pushrod 5.0 to 99-04 V6