V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Headlight Cover Foggy / Dirty

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 04:47 PM
codeseven

Default Headlight Cover Foggy / Dirty

Hi guys, first time poster here. And I will admit, I'm not that much of a car person.

The problem I'm experiencing is that my headlight cover (I assume I'm using the right terminology, but if you need clarification just ask) is very, very foggy which is causing my headlights not to shine as brightly as they should. Sometimes when I'm on a lone dark road at night, it's quite difficult to make out objects which obviously is not only scary but a hazard to myself and others.

I'd like some feedback as to what is the most recommended way of dealing with this. It seems as though I can take it to a mechanic and they can "clean" it for ~$70, however I also thought that maybe I should just buy new ones since these are pretty old.

Really the only one I could find to buy though was this one which seems like a good price. It seems to have a tint to it - which is cool looking, but I'm wondering if it affects the brightness of my headlights. I'm also wondering how hard it is to install this myself. My assumption is not hard at all, but what do I know?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. And just for additional information, I am driving a 2003 V6 Mustang, standard coupe, and the headlights / headlight covers are all original / stock.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:59 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Are you talking about the headlight itself or a add on cover?. What you posted is a cover that goes over the headlights. If your headlights are getting hazed, you can go to your local auto parts store and pick up a headlight restoration kit. I have used this kit myself. Read the instructions and a little patience they come out good. You can replace your headlights easily. There are two small clips at the top rear, and you pull up on these removing. Headlight will pull off.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:29 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I would suggest just replacing the headlights if they are that bad. The kits they sell work for a little but then the haze just comes back.

American Muscle sells the headlights in pairs relatively cheap.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:05 PM
codeseven

Thanks for the input guys. I'm not good with the terminology, but I don't think it's the headlight. And when I say that, I'm referring to the "bulbs'. I actually mean the plastic casing that goes over the headlights.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:56 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

The headlight is the plastic housing-which gets cloudy/yellowed
the bulbs are just that bulbs.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:56 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Try Certi-Fit.

They are an aftermarket manufacturer of OEM parts. Have been using them for years and never had a fitment problem.

The great thing about their products is they are built from OEM specs, come with all of the attached hardware and bulbs!! Usually they have some really good pricing too!

Here's a linky to your headlights, assuming you have a 2003 as stated in your avatar

http://www.certifit.com/p-3053-headl...ked-glass.aspx

http://www.certifit.com/p-3052-headl...ked-glass.aspx
Old 12-13-2014, 09:25 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

If your's are like mine I feel for ya. My lights are clear as new except they have moisture in there and I cant see **** when driving at night. its almost like I got no light. Im either going to have to tear my headlamps apart or buy new ones.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:14 PM
torchred02
3rd Gear Member

wet sand and clearcoat and they will look brand new again
Old 12-17-2014, 11:28 AM
ZGrand
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by steel pony
Try Certi-Fit.

They are an aftermarket manufacturer of OEM parts. Have been using them for years and never had a fitment problem.
Great suggestion!
Old 12-17-2014, 10:26 PM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daehawk
If your's are like mine I feel for ya. My lights are clear as new except they have moisture in there and I cant see **** when driving at night. its almost like I got no light. Im either going to have to tear my headlamps apart or buy new ones.
Take the bulbs out and run a hair dryer on LOW into one of the holes for about 20 minutes. It might be easier if you take a chunk of hose to aim the warm air into the housing.

Quick Reply: Headlight Cover Foggy / Dirty